i need a clean burning powder !

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

i need a clean burning powder !

Post by cshooter »

Hi fellas, bought one of those SCCY cpx-2 9mm pistols the other day and am having a little trouble with it chambering a round. The more I shoot it, it seems to be getting a little more dependable, so maybe it just needs to be broke in. Only have 150 rnds throught it. But it seems to be getting a little dirty with the Winchester white box 115 gr ammo I've shooting. I thought about reloading some for it but need a real clean burning powder to help it's reliability. The Unique I use is too sooty I think. Any ideas ?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: i need a clean burning powder !

Post by acloco »

Hodgdon HS6 works rather well in my 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S & W, 45 ACP, & 44 Magnum.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

My personal preference for my 38 is Hodgdon Titegroup. Really clean and meters better than some of the other powders I have used. I do believe it is listed as a powder for the 9's.
Never used HS6, but I know acloco would not steer you wrong.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

If it's clean you're after, VihtaVuori holds the crown. I haven't used 3N37/8, but I've used N310, N320, and N340, and they are as clean as it gets. Very accurate as well.

Downside is price and availability. I wish that NAMMO would have gotten off of their derrieres and put the VV plant back into full production. During the last two years, they could have been selling it over here faster than the plant could have produced it. Hopefully their act together soon. I have seen N540 and N140 (VV rifle powders) come into stock a couple of times recently, so seemingly they're at least producing *something*.

If that's not available, I hear that Power Pistol, when loaded right up to maximum pressures, can be pretty clean. But, I haven't tried it, and that's probably as hard - or harder - to find than the VV powders.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Post by cshooter »

Well, guys thanks for the help, but a lot of powders are very hard to come by these days. I did find some True Blue. So I bought a pound and gave it a try. I really liked it. At 5 1/2 gr. it gave me modest pressure, good accuracy and it's very clean burning. Plus it meters very good. So I went back to the guy who had one pound left - so I bought it. It seems these days if you find something you want as far as reloading components go, you'd better buy it because you may be looking for a long time before you run accross it again. I have had RE-15, w231, RE-10x, & unique on order now with my local reloader supply for over 8 months and can't get any yet. I did find a 8# can of Unique at a big box store a week ago and bought it. I really didn't need that much, but I thought I'd better get it . Oh well, thanks again guys for the help. :D
BitterClinger
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage M12 LRPV

Post by BitterClinger »

I've been using Hodgdon Titegroup in my 9mm. Seems to burn plenty clean for me. Clean enough I can burn through about 300 rds in a single range trip with no hiccups at all After that many rds still no more crud than if I only shot a 50 rnd box.