CC Mentoring Needed

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: CC Mentoring Needed

Post by RAMOS »

Jim White wrote:Glad that all worked out. When the opportunity allows, grab some extra magazines and components. Specifically; followers and springs.

As far as ammo, I posted the results of several brands and calibers I tested lately in this thread;

forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11444

Jim

Hmmm, do the followers and springs not hold up? The firearm came in a nice hard case with two seven round magazines and some other goodies. I picked up some American Eagle (Federal) plinking ammo for break-in and practice. Have not settled on defense ammo but, appreciate you sharing your findings. Most of our County Mounties recommend the Crossbreed IWB holster. I am looking at a few smaller companies that are turning out the same thing for less money.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

The springs and followers are mechanical devices so the can wear. I suggested these two items especially if the magazine can hold over 10 rounds. I don't know about the XD's but with Glocks, the springs and magazine followers don't interchange between the Hi-Cap and non Hi-Cap models.

Springs are known to wear especially if the magazines are kept loaded all the time and followers can too over a long periods of use.

Jim
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Good to know on the wear items, Jim. I have limited auto loader and removable magazine experience. Even less in handgun form. At least one magazine will be kept loaded at all times. Makes sense that the spring would eventually be affected by constant compression.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jon.....all the while during your CCW pursuit, I was also looking for what I'll call a "summer gun", as opposed to packing my Kimber 3" Ultra CDP in .45acp all the time. I wanted something in 9mm, but small and as light as possible. But the primary concern was that it have the same manual of arms and controls as my lifelong 1911 companions for familiarity, especially in a heated "social situation" if/when the piece was ever actually needed.

I ended up with a Sig P938 Equinox, now on order and should be here soon, along with an Adams Leatherworks IWB rig.

Hogue Diamondwood grips, Tru-Glow front, Sig tritium night sight rear, two tone slide w/alloy frame...what's not to like? ;)

Nine mil defensive ammo has come a long way in the last ten years, and with water jug expansion tests I've made recently, I'm confident that now being armed with a nine is not a bad thing. The old saying: "A 9mm may expand, but a .45 doesn't have to", is now questionable with the new ammo available.

Besides, my G43 needed a buddy for company! :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Rick, that is very nice. Got a real 'classy' look to it, must be the 1911 influence! Got a personal preference for 9mm defense ammunition?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jon, using water-filled gallon milk jugs, stacked touching in a line ten deep, recovered/expanded bullet tests have shown me that the best load by far has been Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dot ammo. The nod going to Hornady in my limited testing.

Expanded bullets usually stop in jug #5 or 6, and in .45 caliber they expand perfectly to over .60 caliber with almost 100% weight retention. Now this is by no means any scientific testing, but illustrates defensive HP ammo has come a very long way since I started putzing about testing it over many years ago this way. A FMJ .45 will sail through all ten jugs as a comparison.

I've not tested 9mm this way yet, but intend to take my G43 and the Sig 938 out the same day with a bunch of jugs for a side-by side test of both guns and the Critical Defense ammo. I'll post how it turns out.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I can echo Rick’s results with SPEER Gold-DOT ammo over a wide variety of calibers. Others that worked well over several calibers were Federal HST, Hornady XTP Custom, Winchester PDX1 and Winchester Ranger {Talon, Ranger-SXT and Ranger-T) series.

I put my results in this post;
forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11444

Its long but you may find it helpful…Jim
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Jim, it is helpful. Expensive stuff to test, as well!
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I had most of it on hand and finally had the time to do it. It's fun and I did all of mine at 10'. What ever round you end up with at least function-fire it and if you decide to do the water jug...be prepared to get wet; it happens...Jim