CC Mentoring Needed

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

CC Mentoring Needed

Post by RAMOS »

Need a CC semi-auto in 9mm for a 50+ year old male (me). Just to make it interesting, here are a few things to keep in mind:
1. At 5' 9" & 135 pounds, hiding anything can be a challenge!
2. Left handed shooter.
3. Can't spend more than $400.00 for the firearm itself.

I like the Glock 43, all things considered but, it exceeds the budget. Have researched the Smith and Wesson M&P S, Ruger LC9S, Taurus 111G2 and some others. At a bit of a disadvantage as the closest stores of any size are more than 100 miles away and I hate big towns. More than likely this will be an internet purchase so 'fit' will be a crapshoot. Just hoping to tap into the brain-trust that frequents this site. All thoughts and suggestions will be considered as this certainly is not my area of expertise! TIA....... Jon
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: CC Mentoring Needed

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Jon, here's a couple of other options, all 9mm auto's....

Sig 938 or 939 - About the smallest, sweetest little 9mm's to come down the pike lately, but most likely way over the budget.

Springfield XDS - The new ones after the recall are reported to be very reliable. Very easy to conceal.

Glock 43 (and 'yes' Jon, it would be worth the wait to put the cash together for this one) This one is the lightest of the entire crop....16 ozs!

As you know, I'm a die-hard 1911 .45 ACP life-long user, but the G43 does indeed have a special niche in my CC battery. Loaded with Critical Defense ammo, it would be nothing to sneeze at if confronted with it. Sometimes I actually forget I'm carrying it, it's so light and unobtrusive in a BladeTech Kydex IWB holster.

I'm sure there's others worth considering, but for the money, you'd be ahead to just save a tad longer and spring for the Glock. One thing for certain.....they go "BANG!" virtually every time. :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thanks, Rick. I have handled, and liked, the Glock 43 and the Springfield XD-S. Both seemed to be pretty southpaw friendly. I think I will keep an eye on the used market via gunbroker. Not in a big hurry. Sooner or later a good deal will turn up.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Ooops. Need to double check my facts.

Researching differences in warranty policies in regards to subsequent owners. Thought I had Glocks' figured out, then realized I was making some assumptions. :mrgreen:
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Hi Jon. A couple more you might check out are the Walther PPS @ 21OZ. Nice, thin, light, & made in Germany. I bought one & like it for a small thin gun. Also you might look at the Kahr CCW which fits in your budget, I just don't care for the long trigger pull of the Kahr but nice guns. You also have to take in consideration if you want an external safety or not, they are hard to come by except the Shield in which you can get either. I prefer no external safety. You can go online to "Hickok shooting the Walther PPS" on you tube, about 400,000 views. Also he has on you tube lots & lots of other live shooting reviews on different guns. Hope this helps you.
Jim D
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thank you, Jim. I will check out the Walther! I am leaning towards 'no external safety', mainly because of being left handed.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

The, absolute rules, for selecting a firearm are:

Purpose
Fit
Ergonomics

Unfortunately, you will need to make a trip. I would not suggest anything to anybody without that person being able to at least handle the firearm.

Do you wear shoes that hurt your feet? Why would you buy a firearm that does not fit you either.

Holster will also be a key ingredient. You might end up with two or three different to suit your day to day needs.
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

Just a thought. I have my carry holsters made by Mr. Andrews at Andrews Leather, AWESOME!!! My favorite is the cross draw CarJacker when sitting or driving, you forget you have it on.
Jim D
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

acloco wrote:The, absolute rules, for selecting a firearm are:

Purpose
Fit
Ergonomics

Unfortunately, you will need to make a trip. I would not suggest anything to anybody without that person being able to at least handle the firearm.

Do you wear shoes that hurt your feet? Why would you buy a firearm that does not fit you either.

Holster will also be a key ingredient. You might end up with two or three different to suit your day to day needs.
I hear you, and recognize the truth of what you are saying. However, the reality is that some of us can't personally inspect all of our purchases before taking the plunge. Given my location, schedule and Winter conditions it simply is not practical to go to a large retailer. My approach to this purchase, though far from ideal, is about my only option. I do feel confident that I could re-sell any of the mainstream options for a small loss if the firearm did not suit me. We have a very strong local demand for good, used firearms. What we lack is a source to fill the need. I am going to the closest town of any size today to see what they have to offer (it won't be much!). Thanks to all who have replied.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jon....PM sent.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Thank you, Rick. PM returned.

From what I was able to handle in town, I am okay with the Springfield XD-S and the Glock 43. I would like to handle a Walther PPS if the opportunity arises.

Operating the slide release seems to be the biggest left hand challenge for me.
acloco

Post by acloco »

Bersa Ultra Compact Pro (ambidextrous, by the way) may be a consideration as well.
RAMOS

Post by RAMOS »

Went to town, was going to 'bite the bullet' and buy a Glock 43. Came home with an XD-S in 9mm with the 3.3" barrel. It just seemed to fit me better and shoots very well for being brand new. Want to thank each of you for your input.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Glad that all worked out. When the opportunity allows, grab some extra magazines and components. Specifically; followers and springs.

As far as ammo, I posted the results of several brands and calibers I tested lately in this thread;

forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11444

Jim
acloco

Post by acloco »

RAMOS wrote:Went to town, was going to 'bite the bullet' and buy a Glock 43. Came home with an XD-S in 9mm with the 3.3" barrel. It just seemed to fit me better and shoots very well for being brand new. Want to thank each of you for your input.
WOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!