Kimber Revolvers, anyone have one?

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber Revolvers, anyone have one?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice shooting there, Skipper.

I'd give the rear sight at least one or two clicks and put it back on target. You should be right at POA then.

Were you shooting .38's or factory three-five-sevens?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I'm shooting 38 Specials. They don't allow magnum loads at this range.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice. Shooting .38's in a nice Smith is an enjoyable experience for me too. When I shoot my M686 6" with .38's, I feel I could shoot it all day without any fatigue at all. Accurate as all get-out too with my hard cast Keith SWC bullet in 150gr weight.

When I want some oomph for jackrabbits, I generally shoot my hard cast 173gr Keith/Lyman SWC bullets in .357 loads. It sure anchors big fat jackrabbits when they stop for "that last look back"........ ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Now that I've owned the Smith & Wesson 686 Plus for about a month there are some observations I have made. 1) This revolver is well thought out and machined. All the parts fit well, are finished to perfection and I'm sure this is a revolver I will pass along to my son one day. 2) I'm not a double action kind of guy. I'm sure that some people can manage the long trigger pull, but not this guy. I could see this revolver being a belly gun or a plinker because it's very accurate when shot single action. I just cannot risk the uncertainty of that long trigger pull and the hand shake it induces if I had to depend on this revolver in a life and death situation. I carry my automatic in Mode 1, cocked and locked so I know that it's going to deliver when the time comes. I think I can even deliver a shot on target at a reasonable distance under duress. (at least I trust my carry pistol more than I do this revolver) 3) I am never going to strap this revolver on my side for a carry weapon knowing that I would have to pull the hammer back before I fired. I just don't think I would ever have the confidence in this revolver that I have in my semi-auto. 4) I found a nice home for this revolver in the pocket of my easy chair. I'm sure that I will pull it out from time to time for some target practice, but I'm going to start testing my new Glock 26 for an alternate carry weapon. My Kimber Ultra Carry II will remain on my hip, for now. If it only had a trigger mounted safety.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pmMy Kimber Ultra Carry II will remain on my hip, for now. If it only had a trigger mounted safety.
Whaaaat? Are you out of your mind Skipper? What you are saying amounts to heresy! :eek:

You would take a proven 100+ year old design that is arguably the greatest combat handgun ever designed, and you suggest crippling it into some gross variation of something like an (ugh) Glock? Really? The three safeties on the gun are not enough, you want to add yet another? Have you ever had an AD in Condition One? Me neither, and no one I know of either........(and I've been carrying one since 1966!)

What are you thinking buddy? :huh:

Not to mention we're taking about real pistols, steel and walnut, not plastic imitations of them.

Just could not resist! :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

A trigger safety on a 1911 ? No never.. Cocked and locked works just fine. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

I'm not suggesting another safety on my either of my Kimbers or any other perfectly fine automatic. Just substituting a trigger safety for the slide safety. Something I don't have to remember to toggle while under stress. There has to be some happy medium between a slide safety and a trigger safety. I believe Kimber could develop a trigger safety that doesn't dangle off the end of the trigger, just a part of the trigger mechanism.

I agree Glocks are pretty ugly, but they fire when you pull the trigger. The biggest drawback is the double stacked magazine makes it to bulky to carry concealed.

I shoot ducks/skeet more than any other shooting sport. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have forgot to click the safety off and missed a golden opportunity. It may be a Skipper thing, I don't know, but it never seems to fails.
skipper

Post by skipper »

If Kimber, S&W, Colt, Browning, etc. introduced a trigger safety that was a true internal mechanism, completely unnoticeable to the eye. Wouldn't you support that design modification??
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Personally, NO. I like and carried the old 1911 for years on duty and "Cocked and Locked" was just fine and worked. Keep it simple and free of added features. Bill K