Sig Sauer P229 Legion RX w/ Romeo 1

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Sig Sauer P229 Legion RX w/ Romeo 1

Post by skipper »

Well, here it is. This arrived today and I literally raced over to pick it up. The two guys behind the counter were already fondling it. I'll have to say that first impressions are extremely positive. Got it home and loaded one of the three 15 round magazines, inserted the battery in the Romeo 1 reflex, and cleaned the shipping lubricant off the exterior. I'll actually take it down and detail clean/lubricate it tomorrow before I take it to the range for its maiden voyage. The Short Reset Trigger (SRT) is really clean and smooth in double action mode and just as crisp as any other trigger I own in single action mode. Just relaxing the pressure on the trigger is enough to reset it. The Romeo 1 reflex sight turns itself off after a couple of minutes and then comes on whenever you move the pistol. That will be a great comfort for my eyes. These days I have trouble seeing front sights in low light situations. There are also suppressor height RX night sights that make it super easy to co-witness with the red dot. When both are aligned, the red dot sits right on top of the front sight post. The red dot is 3 MOA rather than the 6 MOA of the Vortex Venom I put on my Kimber. Hopefully that will make it easier to tighten up my groups. The fit and finish of this P229 is on par with other of my fine firearms. I love the Creakote gray color. It makes the pistol stand out in a crowd. My Kimber looks dated sitting beside it though. Serrations on the front and underside of the trigger guard and again on the front strap combine with the medium aggressive cross hatch on the grips. There is also an undercut on the Legion that allows my hand to get up higher on the pistol. The bore axis looks a little high, but we'll see how that works out at the range tomorrow.

If this little jewel passes the test I can see it taking its place as my every day carry sidearm after a few hundred rounds or so. This gun is expensive!! However I am impressed with the fit and finish of this compact 15 round package. I'll update this review after putting it through its paces tomorrow. I hope to get a couple hundred rounds through it at the range. I plan to take tools with me just in case??
IMG_0266.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg (5.78 MiB) Viewed 14444 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Sig Sauer P229 Legion RX w/ Romeo 1

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I like it!

Looking forward to that range report. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Range Report:

I took my new Sig Sauer P229 Legion to the range this morning. You know, when you spend $1400 on a pistol you would expect that the thing would work flawlessly. IT DID!! I am so happy with the performance of this new pistol I can hardly control my excitement. I could only round up 150 rounds of ammo but I decided that was enough for the maiden voyage. After the first three shots it was obvious that the Romeo 1 reflex sight needed adjustment. I didn't have the instruction manual with me but guessed that it used 1/4 MOA clicks for adjustment. Eight clicks right and four clicks up indeed centered the POI in the bulls eye. Interestingly the windage adjustment clicked with an audible click and noticeable feel. However the elevation adjustment wheel didn't have the same results. I had to witness the movement of the wheel with the visual indications on the wheel. I thought that was strange. The pistol ate up various weights of hollow point bullets without one single failure. I only used the trigger in single action mode but it reminded me of some of my Smith & Wesson revolvers with their glass breaking feel. The 3 MOA dot on the Romeo 1 was very easy to see and quick to get on target. I did notice one CON with the trigger. There was some overtravel after firing that raised a concern. I have heard of aftermarket triggers with overtravel adjustment that I just might check out. However, seeing that I do not plan to shoot this pistol competitively, I'll probably just leave it as is. Every other aspect of this pistol were near perfect. I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to firearms. I would give this pistol a 5 Star rating without hesitation. The trigger overtravel aside, it performed flawlessly.
IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg (4.78 MiB) Viewed 14420 times
skipper

Post by skipper »

Next Up. The acid test. I won't carry a weapon that fails to feed, chamber, fire, extract, or eject. So, I have developed a test over the years that is a real good test of a firearms worthiness for carry. I fill two magazines with various ammo of different manufacturers, weight, and shape in random order. So I may have one round of FMJ followed by a solid followed by a hollow point, etc. I run both magazines through the firearm in rapid succession to see if there are any failures. If so, that firearm will probably end up getting sold. If I cannot trust it to function flawlessly, I don't intend to carry it for personal protection. We'll see how the Sig handles the acid test next time I go to the range.

What's your procedure for testing a firearm for readiness for duty??
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:44 pmWhat's your procedure for testing a firearm for readiness for duty??
First a total strip down, inspect, lube and reassemble. Then it's 500 rounds of failure-free range ammo, followed by five magazines of my carry ammo. If the weapon passes that test, I'll carry it without any thoughts except for it's intended purpose.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

I went to the range this morning loaded down with 150 rounds of 9mm and my Sig Sauer 229 Legion RX. My mission was to align the fixed night sights and the Romeo 1 reflex sight so that the red dot replaces the green RX night sight front post while co-witnessing both. I'm not sure if the picture of the Romeo 1 reflex is good enough so that you can see that when the front sight post is level and centered in the rear sights the red dot takes the place of the green front sight. The camera is magnifying the size of the red dot. It's a 3mm dot that is quite smaller than the 6mm dot on my Vortex Venom.

I'm happy with the way this setup turned out. You don't necessarily have to align the front and rear fixed sights to hit dead center of the bulls eye. You only need to place the red dot in the center of the bulls eye and squeeze the trigger. However, if you have the fixed sights and red dot aligned so that they both agree with each other when the fixed sights are aligned, then you will always be able to find the red dot by simply aligning the fixed sights. I'm quite satisfied with the way the pistol is setup now. It's very quick and easy to find and deploy the red dot. Next range trip I'll fire for effect. Literally!!
IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 14157 times
IMG_0294.jpg
IMG_0294.jpg (269.04 KiB) Viewed 14157 times
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice, Skipper. Looks like a great combination.

I'm a newly converted fan of the MRDS too (Miniature Red Dot Sight), having a Vortex Venom 6 MOA setup on my Kimber Aegis Elite Custom 9mm range gun. As you note, as long as the dot is on the target, it matters not where in the 'window' it is, you WILL hit the target every time. Fast repeat shots are a given too.

I'm betting we'll see more of this sighting arrangement over time as more shooters discover how fast and accurate these systems really are. Looking forward to your "fire for effect" post......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

A little update on the Sig Sauer P229 Legion RX. I took a trip to Austin with my dad and dogs for the purpose of building a small deck in front of my RV which I leave near Lake Travis. This is a picture of how the deck project worked out. What do you think?
RV.jpg
RV.jpg (174.16 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
I never thought twice about wearing my sidearm while working. This morning I looked at my pistol only to find rust all over the decocking lever. At least that was the extent of it, as I thought. WRONG!!! I got home around noon today and decided I would clean off the rust. So the first step is to eject the magazine and make a complete safe weapon, right. WRONG!!! The magazine release is bound up with rust and won't budge. I'm not a happy camper right now.
Rust.jpg
Rust.jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
I would have never thought rust could seize up a magazine release overnight. I was WRONG!!! I know I should have fixed it and then posted, but I'm so disgusted right now I can't even think straight.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sorry about the rust and the situation there, Skipper. A downside living in such a humid environment, and the reason stainless steel handguns come into play. SE Asia about killed me with the humidity. My issue 1911A1 .45 took a real hit there. No stainless guns then. Good luck with the Sig.

The upside; the trailer deck and stairs looks great! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Sig sure makes a lot of hype about their coatings. The problem is the parts that don't get the coating rusts. Believe it or not I have a STAINLESS Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum hunting pistol that has rust issues.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

No matter Stainless or Iron.. Good reason to look over and check your sidearms quite often.. When I carried on duty and off, while in LE, I never went more than a day or two without taking a look see and doing what needed, if so, do make sure everything worked as it should. A life can sure depend on it. Bill K

And the deck looks like it will work just fine.
skipper

Post by skipper »

That's the very reason why I was so - can we just say - upset? If, I would have needed my sidearm it might have worked, and then again it might not have. The frozen magazine release, in and of itself, wouldn't have stopped the pistol from firing. At least, firing 15 shots. Had I needed to change magazines, I would have been out of luck, otherwise incapacitated, or outright dead. That's not what you decide to carry a sidearm for.

So, years back my late wife developed a very rare neurological disease. Multiple System Atrophy (MSA) it's progressive and terminal. We were both devastated. When she lost mobility we had an incident where a car load of thugs pulled in behind us while I was transferring her into the van. That situation made me realize that I couldn't just run out on my wife. We talked about it and decided that I would get a Concealed Carry Permit and start carrying a pistol. Now I am the caretaker for my 96 year old dad and I find myself in the same situation. When I carry a pistol, it's not just for my safety. When Lisa died Christmas Eve of 2015 I immediately took my dad in and now I am responsible for his safety as well. I need a sidearm I can depend on. Not just for my life.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper: That Sig will do just fine for you. But I would suggest you obtain a can/bottle of Ballistol and on a regular basis check and ripe down all the parts with a very light film of it.
It worked very well for the German army and others for years in keeping firearms and other equipment in proper shape and always at the ready.
And there are other fine products out there that work well also. But I really like ballistol, as you can guess. Bill K :)