Got a new cat, a Hellcat

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Got a new cat, a Hellcat

Post by skipper »

For some unknown reason, I just couldn't pass this up today. High capacity 9mm subcompact by Springfield Armory. As pictured, 13 rounds. Also has 11 round mag conversion plate.

Can't wait to shoot it!
SA Hellcat 9mm.jpg
SA Hellcat 9mm.jpg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 10011 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Got a new cat, a Hellcat

Post by Bill K »

In time Skipper, give us your thoughts after shooting it. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I've been watching customer input on this little item now for months. I've got some personal opinions, but for now I'll leave them out here. But for all the world, the thing looks like a Hi-Point........

I've seen some owners not pleased, and trading up to a Kimber Mako. Neither is for me, no poly striker-fired pistols here, I want to SEE that hammer!

But I hope you're pleased with your new SA pistol. I'm currently considering their new Ronin EMP to add to my growing 1911 collection. I surely do not 'need' another 9mm, but you know how that goes......lol.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Is the new one a 10mm Rick ? I need to read up on it, I guess. Hard to beat any 1911 style, hammer and all. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

I weighed all the "Micro 9s" during my selection. I ruled out the Kimber because of Hickock45's review on YouTube stating that they had to send the first two examples back because they couldn't get the gun to break down without great difficulty. I really like the look though. I ruled out the Sig 365 because it comes up one round short and isn't red dot ready. I may regret this purchase after the first range trip, but for now, I kinda like the little thing.

I took it apart last night and removed all the factory lube, ran a bore brush through it, and reassembled it with proper gun oil, and got a coat of wax on the exterior. I'm currently waiting for a holster from Springfield Armory which should arrive tomorrow. Then it's off to the range.

The hammer is what I'm trying to get away from. I want to deep conceal this thing and I don't want anyone who does spot it to see a hammer cocked and locked. I retired and am volunteering at my church. I'm around a lot of kids. I'm also on the church security team so I'm expected to be armed whenever I arrive. For those reasons I opted to not install a Crimson Trace optic on this pistol.

I made an observation last night while breaking it down for cleaning. You have to pull the trigger after rotating the takedown lever, in order to get the slide to come off. Of course you have to lock the slide back to rotate the takedown lever so you have a clear view of the chamber. Just gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

My micro9 has been fantastice. my son and cousin both have one and theirs has been great as well.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

Y'all, that's Texan for "You Guys", stay tuned. I'll WARN you ahead of time that it's Christmas and I have a million other things to do besides breaking-in a new gun. SLOW is the operative word. I SHOULD put it back in the box and under the tree. NAH!!!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:10 am I weighed all the "Micro 9s" during my selection. I ruled out the Kimber because of Hickock45's review on YouTube stating that they had to send the first two examples back because they couldn't get the gun to break down without great difficulty. I really like the look though.
Internet "reviews" huh?

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my Micro 9 is now about five years old, purchased soon after they came out. It now is approaching 900 trouble-free rounds downrange, not one failure of any kind and gets carried when my 3" Ultra's are either too heavy or bulky for the days carry. It has a hammer I can see, no dang "flipper" trigger and all the controls are pure 1911, as that's what I trained with in the Navy, and what I've carried now for going on 45 years.

The holster wear shows how much this little gem gets carried.

All these choices are purely personal, those are mine. I hope the new pistol meets all your expectations there, Skipper. If you put it under the tree, keep in mind that it's unlocked and 'available' to uninvited 'guests' when you're out of the house. We don't want you to end up like those unfortunate parents of the kid with the Sig this week. But I'm betting you'll have it close by for the "fondle factor" of a new pistol. Carry on.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:36 am Is the new one a 10mm Rick ? I need to read up on it, I guess. Hard to beat any 1911 style, hammer and all. :)
Bill, you may have missed the "EMP" part of that. It stands for "Enhanced Micro Pistol". It is not a full size 1911, but a fully reduced model in terms of size. Most parts are proprietary and not compatible with another standard 1911. It is even smaller than all the Officer sized 1911's such as the Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra, etc.

It fits between a Kimber Ultra and a Kimber Micro 9, both 3" 1911's. Check it out on the SA website.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I understand that. I am referring to the part about it having all the 1911 controls, etc. Simple and very functional and able to carry "cocked and locked" They all just work super fine and have the good old feel of a 1911. :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

skipper wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:07 pm For some unknown reason, I just couldn't pass this up today. High capacity 9mm subcompact by Springfield Armory. As pictured, 13 rounds. Also has 11 round mag conversion plate.

Can't wait to shoot it!

SA Hellcat 9mm.jpg
They make really good guns. My neighbor has one of their compact .45 caps he carries, it shoots good.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

20211204_191212.jpg
20211204_191212.jpg (4.32 MiB) Viewed 9929 times
20211204_191242.jpg
20211204_191242.jpg (4.47 MiB) Viewed 9929 times
Rick I love mine. Easily the most comfortable carry gun I have ever had. I like this Fobus OWB holster. Very easy to drive etc.

It shoots great as well. Mine is the basic black with an upgraded grip.

John Maynard Keynes
RaymondBB
.204 Ruger Guns: predator

Post by RaymondBB »

How much did you pay for it? Looks pretty weird :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

If you're asking about the HellCat I paid $599, I think.
Huskerguy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 Varminter

Post by Huskerguy »

I picked one up in March for $520 and love it. Took it to the range and was surprised at how accurate it was at 30 feet. I like the 13 round mag and the sights. They pick up quickly and in low light work great.

I tried to get it to jam and could not. Its a small 9 so yep you feel the recoil, that is unavoidable. I was looking for a higher capacity mag in a 9mm and this fits the bill. The only downside is it does get a little heavy with 13 in the mag..