Striker vs Hammer?

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Striker vs Hammer?

Post by skipper »

I received a lot of comments about my choice of concealed carry pistol, the Hellcat, so I thought I would expound on why I'm wanting a striker fired pistol instead of a 1911 style with hammer. I'm posting pictures of the weapons so I can make my point. I too am a fan of Kimber firearms, well at least their pistols. The picture below is of my Ultra Carry 45. The problem is that while cocked the area just in front of the hammer becomes a repository for dirt, lint and moisture to get directly into the action. NOT GOOD. That's beside the fact that people usually relate a hammer cocked back as an unsafe act. I can't tell you why, they just do.

The second picture is of the Springfield Hellcat. There is no such void because the striker is enclosed and the action is protected from such contaminates. I have to clean my Kimber and Sig religiously to keep them free of the lint and dirt that naturally accumulates in the area just in front of the trigger. I'm afraid that one day I'm going to need my pistol just to find it incapable of firing. Worse is the thought of the hammer catching on my clothing as I'm trying to draw it from the holster buried beneath my shirt. Just my two cents worth, as if anyone really cared.
Kimber Ultra Carry.jpg
Kimber Ultra Carry.jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
Hellcat.jpg
Hellcat.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Striker vs Hammer?

Post by Bill K »

It is all in what each of us want and feel the most comfortable with Skipper. They both have pro's and con's.
I always felt fine with the hammer 1911's, cocked and locked, on duty carry and off. Never had any issue with hammer hanging up on a draw.
And I do also own a stiker style handgun, which I carry often, now days. So both will serve very well and, as I said, WE each spend our money on what we feel we like best and want. Nothing wrong with that at all. :D
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: Striker vs Hammer?

Post by Tom Kat »

Agree with Bill K. I have a Glock 23 as my home defense weapon. I sometimes carry a M & P Shield (in 40). My Kimber Micro 9 is a good shooter as well, I have dinged a metal plate at 100 yards with it several times. Additionally, that Kimber feeds and fires reliably (as does the Glock and the Shield, both Striker fired guns) I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I will say that my confidence in the striker fired guns has grown over the years.

I still like revolvers...but I don't carry them.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes