Double Stack 2011 Pistols

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Double Stack 2011 Pistols

Post by skipper »

What's your opinion of the new double stack 1911 pistols now available. To me, they're a step in the right direction. Got my eye on a Staccato or the Springfield Armory, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Get it??
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Double Stack 2011 Pistols

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I'm sure you meant "1911" in your title, but completely agree, a step in the right direction.....IF you're willing to pack the extra bulk and weight of 15+ rounds in your pistol. Carrying a single stack 1911 in either Commander or Officer configuration is no problem, as the gun is nice and thin with minimal weight, especially with an alloy frame. When you go double stack, things change dramatically in terms of carry comfort.

My only double stack pistol at present is a pristine Browning Hi-Power T-Series, made in 1969. Being an all-steel pistol, it does not get carried near as much as my single stack pistols, as the extra bulk and weight is indeed noticeable. BUT......wanting exactly what you are referring to, a high capacity pistol without the two negatives mentioned, I now have on order and in the 'build que' at Wilson Combat, their new premium carry pistol, their SFX9. Nominally a 10 round double stack, but also accepts their 15 round mags also. The "SF" stands for solid frame, as they manufacture their own alloy frames from T6 6061 bar stock in-house.

My Browning Hi-Power. When carried, it's either in my Galco shoulder rig or a IWB made by Privateer Leather.....

The IWB from Privateer Leather:

The much awaited Wilson Combat SFX9 3.25" slide, non-rail frame (Wilson photo snagged from their site):

The flip-side:

These pistols have ultimate reliability, tight tolerances and all the features we'd want in a hi-cap carry nine. Mine will come all black with their Armor-Tuff finish, red fiber optic front sight, Wilson Battlesight tritium rear, concealment slide lock and safety, medium trigger pad and a 4 lbs trigger pull. One nice feature is that it will fit perfectly in my Milt Sparks Versa-Max II IWB rig already in use with my other three Kimber Ultra pistols (Officer frame, 3" bbl). The clincher for me was when I discovered Wilson gives combat disabled Vets a very nice discount once proof of disability is provided.

About the only negative is the brutal six to eight month delivery. :(
But I'm sure the wait will be very much worth it in the end.

So "YES", I'm in favor of hi-capacity carry pistols. You just have to pick the right one for your individual needs. Watch for that weight and bulk prior to plunking down that cash to ensure it's the "right one". Let us know which way you went there, Skipper once you finally decide on your hi-cap carry nine.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:25 am I'm sure you meant "1911" in your title,
The 2011 is a term that I have recently embraced and defines what a lot of people on the internet refer to as a 2011. It differentiates between a traditional 1911 and the newer 2011 modulars,

The following was copied from several resources:
What is a 2011? The 2011 is a modular framed 1911 that is light and has better recoil management. Typically the 2011 is known to be smoother and better to shoot than a typically 1911 pistol. 2011 typically allows you to change the whole grip whereas the 1911 only allows you to change the grip panels.

A "2011" uses the frame system developed by Tripp and Strayer, with a modular polymer grip module and using the STI magazine design. The 2011 wasn't initially sold or marketed as a "2011" until it had already been in production for awhile; STI rebranded the gun as the "2011" and the name (which is catchy) stuck.

Staccato has five models sold as 2011s. The CS, C2 and XC are the ones I'm eying. Springfield Armory has the Prodigy which it dances around officially calling a 2011. It has the polymer grip and double stack like the Staccato. There are other examples but way too pricey for EDC. Wilson makes fine pistols indeed!!

Staccato
c2-header.jpeg
c2-header.jpeg (142.29 KiB) Viewed 14725 times

Prodigy
prodigy-alt-feature-1600x1200-2-1-768x576.png
prodigy-alt-feature-1600x1200-2-1-768x576.png (303.34 KiB) Viewed 14725 times

I routinely carry double stack pistols with great comfort depending on the particular shape of the frame. You just have to try it on in real life conditions to tell. El Paso Saddlery makes fine holsters just to my liking.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes, I have seen the new term "2011". Sorry I presumed it was a typo; best to pay attention.

I see where you're coming from with the desire for a hi-cap pistol with the new/improved modular frame. Guess I'm just a dinosaur, as I much prefer the slimmer, more traditional 1911 format. I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone with the Wilson SFX9, which is entirely new to me. I suppose time will tell if I embrace it or not, but considering the price, I'm hoping I really like it and put it into my EDC rotation. Guess well see, right?

As you seem very interested in acquiring a Staccato or like full-size, hi-capacity weapon, I'm sure others besides myself will be interested to see what you finally come home with. Keep us posted with your new upcoming treasure. Don't we all just love the anticipation of a new gun on the horizon? :wink:

Every one of my leather holsters for all my revolvers came from El Paso Saddlery. Excellent design, traditional workmanship, high quality materials, good lead time and reasonable prices to boot. What's not to like?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Ok Rick, guilty! I'm guilty of wanting the Staccato but I want a compact I can carry. The Prodigy would be my second choice. There have been reports online that the Prodigy can exhibit issues related to returning to battery. I'm in no particular rush to decide. I have others to chose from or rotate in and out. You probably do, too. I think I'll go to a range that will let me rent one for a live firing session. Might just put both side by side. Who Knows? Was wanting to hear pros and cons from people that may have first hand experience.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:47 pmOk Rick, guilty! I'm guilty of wanting the Staccato but I want a compact I can carry. The Prodigy would be my second choice.
Skipper, then pick up the current issue of American Handgunner on the stands right now. Feature article on the Prodigy in living color too. After reading the article, I came away thinking it is only suitable for either SWAT, home/nightstand or repelling boarders. It's 2 lbs empty, has mag capacity of a whopping 26 rounds with the extended mag. It is NOT a carry piece in any shape or form, but an awesome combat weapon, especially with the optic. It would be a dandy range gun, but not for anyone without a disposable income.

Your first sentence above is what pushed me to the Wilson Combat SFX9. Small and concealable, either ten or 15 round mag capacity, and weighs empty the same as my alloy-framed 3" Kimber Ultra 1911's. Check it and the Wilson EDC X9's out, as this series of carry pistols matches your wants.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

The Prodigy has a 4.25 in barrel whereas the Wilson has a 5 in barrel. Weight comparison: Prodigy 32.5, Wilson 38.9. I have a Kimber Ultra Carry and a Raptor II, Neither is a very good carry option. Like I said, I'm not in a hurry. Manufacturers are getting our message and turning out guns more like we need nowadays. I wouldn't want to jump ALL IN right now and be left holding a regret. BTW, have you compared the prices?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:58 pm The Prodigy has a 4.25 in barrel whereas the Wilson has a 5 in barrel. Weight comparison: Prodigy 32.5, Wilson 38.9.
Skipper, we're talkin' apples and watermelons here. You're not paying attention. I am NOT ordering a Wilson with a 5" barrel, nor does it weigh over 30 ozs. Best to actually read the specs for the Wilson SFX9 (3.25" bbl/slide) before you post anything further.

And 'no', I did not compare prices, as I want a WC and will pay the piper for what I want. No other manufacturer was in the running here. WC offers the thinnest, lightest, carry hi-capacity 1911'ish with an alloy frame in 9mm. The fact that they gave me a substantial disabled veteran discount was icing on the proverbial cake.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Skipper, check your PM's
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA