Canik TP9SFX

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Canik TP9SFX

Post by skipper »

The bug bit me hard today while I was at the range. I've heard nothing but great reviews about the Canik TP9SFX, so I decided to rent one to see for myself. The trigger on this thing is phenomenal. Yes, it'e striker fired. It still has one of the best triggers I've ever pulled, PERIOD. This thing is truly competition ready right out of the box. Try it, you'll like it!
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg (190.12 KiB) Viewed 31363 times
I'm going to put a Holosun red dot on it within the next couple of days. I'll post pictures when I do. Range report after the installation is complete.
Attachments
IMG_1404.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg (168.61 KiB) Viewed 31363 times
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
skipper

Re: Canik TP9SFX

Post by skipper »

I got the Holosun HS407K installed after a bit of grinding on the mounting plate #4. The back two tabs had to be removed so it would sit flat on the plate. Then I changed out the grip baskstraps to the larger ones cause they felt better. Then I proceeded to take the pistol apart for a thorough cleaning.

She's ready for the first firing Monday at the local range. I hope it performs as well as the internet reviews say. I can't wait to see how that amazing trigger works in real world conditions.

IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg (154.66 KiB) Viewed 31297 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Waiting for your follow up report and target photos. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

Got out to the range after stopping at Academy for some 124 gr. ammo. I had heard that these pistols may experience failures with 115 gr. ammo due to a stiff main spring. I brought another 200 rounds of 115 gr. ammo just to see if that was the case. It wasn't. Anyhow, after getting all set up, I loaded the first magazine in the gun and started pulling the trigger. It seemed like the trigger was very light, but there was a lot of creep. I mentioned that to one of the other shooters there who told me I needed to use the trigger reset. I took his advice and poof, the creep disappeared. By keeping the trigger to the rear after let off you only need to ease up on the trigger a very small amount to reset it for the next shot. Amazing!! The gun did seem very snappy though. The recoil impulse was more than I expected from a full sized hand gun. I guess at 1.61 pounds without magazine it is a little on the light side. Oh well, I'll get used to it.
IMG_1419.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 31187 times
Here's a closeup of the group I shot after getting the red dot adjusted. I only had to move it up about 10 clicks.
IMG_1421.jpg
IMG_1421.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 31187 times
This target was shot at 10 yards and 25 yards. Bulls eyes No. 1 and 2 were shot at 10 yards. The rest were shot at 25 yards, offhand even.
tempImagefq3QXf.gif
tempImagefq3QXf.gif (6.09 MiB) Viewed 31187 times
I will have to say I was quite impressed with this gun. Once I found out the secret to the trigger I was off and running. After 150 Browning 124 gr. rounds I shot another 100 Monarch 115 gr. remanufactured rounds without a single failure. I'm not going to make any off the cuff comments about the gun after a couple hundred rounds, but I was impressed. After 1,000 rounds or so I might venture to review this Canik TP9SFx and Holosun HS407-K combination. I will say that my first impressions were very favorable. I'm thinking this one may be a "Keeper."
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thanks for the follow up infomation Skipper. Does look very interesting. :)
skipper

Post by skipper »

I can't wait to get back to the range for some more trigger time with this pistol. Now that I know it will shoot 155 gr. as well as it does the 124 gr. it will be a bit cheaper to boot.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Will be watching for the next report and photos, Skipper. You are having fun, for sure. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

Second range trip report: Today was interesting to say the least. Got all situated and loaded up my two magazines. From there things did not go as expected. The first picture is of a group that I somewhat like. Not the best group I've ever shot at 10 yards, but the best with this gun so far.
Aug 21 1.jpg
Aug 21 1.jpg (90.66 KiB) Viewed 31045 times
Reloaded and fired another 30 rounds. That's when the issues started. This picture is of the first failure with this gun. Not quite sure what happened. The magazine was fully inserted into the gun but it just simply failed to feed.
Failure1.jpg
Failure1.jpg (101.06 KiB) Viewed 31045 times
Okay, let's load up another 30 rounds. Now I'm starting to question this cheap 115 gr. Midwest remanufactured ammunition. Second magazine goes by without a hitch until I pull the trigger and nothing happens. As it turns out the magazine failed to lock open on the last round. Now I'm questioning the spring.

Oh well, let's load another 30 rounds of this cheap ammo and try to make the best of things. About half way through the first magazine this happens!!
Faikure2.jpg
Faikure2.jpg (90.93 KiB) Viewed 31045 times
After clearing this jam I proceeded to finish out the rest of the magazine until I took that last shot. Well at least I thought it was the last shot but the gun didn't go boom. Wouldn't you know it, the slide failed to lock open after the last round, AGAIN.

This is the target I shot. All were shot at 10 yards. I think I'm finally getting used to the trigger reset. It really does make a marked difference.
Overall.jpg
Overall.jpg (76.4 KiB) Viewed 31045 times
I think I will go back to the 124 grain Brownings I shot the first outing. See if that makes things any better. Could bee the ammo or it could be the spring is just too stiff. We'll see next week.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

"Spring or ammo?"

Skipper, I'm thinking it's a combination of both. Stiff recoil spring intended for full power ammo that's shooting light for caliber 'econo' ammo. What could possibly go wrong? ;) When you get her back out with some quality 124gr stuff, she'll most likely run like a champ. I know you'll keep us posted, looking forward to it.

One thing seems obvious.....she's a shooter for sure! :yeah:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I would tend to go along with Rick's thought on the issue is light load and heavy spring for heavier loads. Bullet weight especially. In time you will inform us, what you find out and/or do. Keep the photos coming. :D
skipper

Post by skipper »

I didn't get to the range last week due to attending my youngest daughters college ceremony in Galveston. Autumn started Nursing School at UTMB Galveston and received her "White Coat" on her first day. It was nice to be down on the island though. Had lunch at The Spot on the seawall with her and her friends. Best burgers on the island while overlooking the Gulf of Mexico.
Nursing School.jpg
Nursing School.jpg (72.94 KiB) Viewed 30866 times
So last week I decided that a nice StreamLight on the front of the pistol might improve the overall handling of the pistol. So, I installed a TLR-1HL and today I got to try out that theory. I will say that I did NOT have a single failure today using the 124 gr. FMJ Browning bullets. So, my Canik prefers the 124 over the 115 br bullets. I guess the extra 40 fps velocity helps.
Lobor Day1.jpg
Lobor Day1.jpg (95.19 KiB) Viewed 30866 times
The extra velocity did make the gun more snappy though. That took a little getting used to. Also the way the gun returned to rest in my hands was different because of the extra weight hanging off the front of the weapon. It may take some more trigger time to get it all worked out. I'm over 500 rounds through the pistol and things are starting to work better. The slide release works with one thumb now and the trigger seems a little smoother as well. As soon as I can get it all together this thing should be a tack driver.
Labor Day2.jpg
Labor Day2.jpg (128.67 KiB) Viewed 30866 times
If you're interested in a really nice range gun, check out the Canik TP9SFx. Nice package for the money.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

First off, congratulations to the daughter, a very fine start in her new occupation.
Second, looks like you are getting that new pistol dial in. Bill K
skipper

Post by skipper »

I had a suspicion that the 115 gr. Midwest ammo may have been to blame for the failures I had experienced previously. Boy was I right on the money about that. Today I took an old box of Winchester 115 gr. range ammo with me to try. I'm pleased to discover that the pistol liked it just fine. No failures to feed or failures to lock the slide back on the last round. I went through that box of 200 without a hitch. I don't know if it's just my gun or perhaps a bad lot of ammo, but I won't be running any more Midwest ammo. My gun didn't like it. Your mileage may vary. Happy shooting!!
Canick4.jpg
Canick4.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 30795 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Skipper, that is indeed a few very dead paper bad guys!
Looks like you've nestled into that pistol quite well.....good job buddy.

The issue you had with the bogus Midwest reman ammo is not an issue (for me), as if it's not new in the box SD stuff, then it's my handloads, and they ALL go bang, and do it every time. I just did a run of 200 124gr 9mm XTP SD loads on my Dillon 550 that duplicates the Hornady factory load. I used all 'pre-pandemic' components, so 200 rounds cost less than two boxes of new factory loads.

Glad you found the culprit and the pistol is now running fine......the way it's supposed to be, right?
Do you carry the Canik, or is it a range gun?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick

Thanks for the kind words. I love shooting, always have. I do not carry the Canik, range gun only. The problem is not the gun but I haven't found the right holster. You know of any??