About those .45 ACP carry guns...

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

About those .45 ACP carry guns...

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick and Bill got me thinking about a newer .45 I own that needs some break in. I would say I have about 40-50 rounds through it. The weather was mild tonight for Kansas in December, so I stepped out and ran a couple magazines through my Tanker. I made this little Youtube short, I hope I post it correctly. https://youtube.com/shorts/vSMiuPUgHxc? ... OfSy-QaCrj
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: About those .45 ACP carry guns...

Post by Bill K »

I am just too old and dumb on these PC's. It would not let me sign in to open the video
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

That would not be my first choice for a concealed carry options here in HTown. Way too big for shorts. Perhaps lots of plaid to break up the bulge that thing's gonna print.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Image.
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Skipper the old flat 1911 will conceal a lot better than you think. Just have to work with a few options, for you body, etc. to cover it up very well yet hand as H---. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK, a full size 5" 1911 fully loaded runs over two pounds, usually around 40 oz's or so. IMHO, that's much too heavy and bulky for CC when so many other 1911 choices are now available. A shoulder rig is fine, but not for every situation or WX conditions such as hot summer days when you want to be in shorts.

You have there a entry-level basic 1911 .45 ACP. Fine for a range gun, but really not suited for a EDC weapon. I quit carrying any of my five inchers many years ago and went to Commander length guns in both .45 and 9mm. Then after a few years of carrying my Colt Commander or Kimber Pro Series guns (Commander length), I switched to the Officers models back around 1986 when Colt first offered the Officers Model .45. It was fine, but all steel so it was another heavy boat anchor. After three years of lugging a full size 1911A1 in Vietnam, I swore that I'd get a lighter gun when discharged.

Enter the world of 3" 1911's and all they have to offer:
* 3" barrel for easy concealment
* Short grip frame (- one round) for concealment
* Alloy frame for reduced weight
* Excellent combat/night sights

Once you carry and shoot a three incher, you'll really see what all the fuss is about. I fully realize there's other small auto's for carry, but we're talking about the 1911 so I'll restrict my comments to that platform. I've carried the old beast now since 1965, am pretty familiar with it, and have my own opinions bases on almost six decades of use and carry FWIW.

My own personal choices for 1911 .45 that I both own and have carried extensively are:
* Kimber Ultra CDP (Ultra = 3" bbl, short grip frame) CDP stands for Custom Defensive Package. This gun is available in 9mm and .45 (have both) and offers about every custom option you'd want on a carry 1911.
* Kimber Super Carry Ultra + that is described above in another post (3" bbl, full length grip frame, alloy frame).

My two Kimber CDP's in 9mm and .45:

And when I want more rounds on board or longer barrel, it's my two Kimber Pro (Commander) CDP's in nine and .45:

Not a 1911, but another JMP masterpiece is the Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Either 13+1 or 15+1 with a 5" bbl that's nice 'n flat, conceals very well in a IWB or shoulder rig. Shown in my Privateer Leather IWB rig. Springfield now offers their SA35 as an option, as original BHP's now go for over two grand for nice examples. Shown is my 1968 FN BHP after a trip to Novak for their excellent sights and a complete action job:

Lots of choices. In the early days of the 3" 1911 (1980's), reliability was a factor, but not any more. My three inch guns all run 100% with both commercial SD loads and all my handloads. They conceal very well, offer full .45ACP power (or 9mm) and have great features like tritium night sights, ambi-safety, bushingless bull barrel, alloy frame and total reliability with any HP ammo available. The 9mm versions all have ramped barrels too, polished like a mirror from the factory.

You can find new CDP's for around $1200, and used for around $800. If you expect to carry a 1911 for EDC, you owe it to yourself to check out the Kimber line of 3" 1911's intended for EDC.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Rick, you sure have some pretty carry guns. Mine are all scratched and dinged whereas yours look like they've never been fired. What's up with that buddy?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I don't know if I will really use it for an EDC gun. It was so cheap to buy I couldn't pass it up.

I have a very nice Springfield Armory 1911 I would never carry. Its a BBQ gun and safe queen. This one may actually get carried a bit because I don't care what happens to it as much.

My M&P Shield in .40 is a great carry gun. Flat, light, and reliable. I also like to carry my Kimber Micro 9, its quite a gun for the money.

Those are all pretty BTW.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

My tanker has a barrel length of 4.25"

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:05 pmRick, you sure have some pretty carry guns. Mine are all scratched and dinged whereas yours look like they've never been fired. What's up with that buddy?
Thanks buddy. They all get carried, shot much, and cleaned after every outing. And those who know me well know that I'm the poster child for OCD. :wink:

As for yours all being scratched and dinged, don't know how to respond. My dad taught me very early at the ranch to always treat my firearms well. Our family ran a guest/hunting lodge in central BC, my dad and all my uncles were wranglers and guides. Guns were a part of life there. All that was reinforced in the Navy when our instructor told us before we landed in 'Nam "take care of your weapon, and it will take care of you". I've followed that mantra ever since. Then there's that OCD too.....

A friend here runs a large LGS. He is always willing to take any of my guns in for trade or sale, as he knows all my firearms are in tip-top condition, usually commenting something like "have you ever fired this one?" 'Nuff said?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I picked up a commander a while back. It was a bargain and has responded well for me.
I quit wearing a belt but may have to rethink that.

I picked up a SIG P238 a few years back. I run Buffalo Bore ammo, spoke to a gent there, his comment a .380 trumps a .45 at home in the safe.

I never really noticed the Sig being heavy, then I picked up a Glock 42. One or the other is usually with me, unless I am comfortable with the Commander.

They have came a long way with 380 and 9mm in the last several years for sure.

One thing about the .45, it starts of bigger than most expand.

My 625JM saw a fair bit of carry, when I wore a belt.

Y’all got my attention with those 3.25 barrel lengths though.