A thread about Glocks-

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

A thread about Glocks-

Post by Tom Kat »

I was late to the party with Glocks. They were not one of my favorites. The neighbors daughter came to my range one day with her brand new Model 19, which is a 9mm. TO be polite I shot it....and liked it. That young woman out shot me with it, she knew her gun.

I did a lot of research on the reliability of Glock pistols and decided I might like a model 19.

A friend of mine bought a 19 and a 23, which is the exact gun that a 19 is but its a .40 caliber. He kept the 19 but offered me the 23. I bought it in like new condition for $400. I like shooting it, it is a little more bulky than I prefer for a carry gun but it is my meet and greet gun in the front room. If any BS goes on at the front door, you will see me with that Model 23 in hand.

What do all of you think Glocks? I am impressed with their ruggedness and reliability. They are not the girl you take to prom, they are the reliable chunky girl you take to the drive inn on Tuesday night....
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: A thread about Glocks-

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:33 amWhat do all of you think Glocks?
Okay, TK, since you asked......
Personally, I detest them (but respect them for what they are). Bulky, ugly, clunky, a staple gun trigger, top of the slide is like looking at the flat side of a 2x4. BUT, they are indeed reliable. When my son worked for them, he completed the Block armory course, now he's a certified Block armorer. He gifted me a tricked-out G43 that I keep in a mattress-bed holster that has been designated as wifey's emergency pistol. We seldom shoot it, both much preferring our stable of 1911's and Smith revolvers. I've got great stories (all positive) from my son from LE agencies all over the NW on the subject, but most agree they're reliable, almost indestructible, but about as butt-ugly as a pistol could get. There will not be another Block here anytime soon....or ever.

I like to consider all my carry guns as prom queens, perform very well and look dang good doing it! :wink:

That said.......

Another thing about the Block, is that you can always tell what fired brass came from a Block. Bulged brass, and the primer strike appears to have been struck by a small chisel. All brass fired in a Block intended for reloading must be F/L sized very well to reduce the bulge, thereby working the brass more than any brass fired from any convention pistol. Plus no matter what model or caliber, all the dang things look alike. Not interesting. :nay:

Remember the old saying....."Life is too short to shoot ugly guns". :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

https://youtu.be/dWKvem4ZBFY?si=1K502Tgn50FeUC3X

There are a lot of torture videos but you this one gives you the general idea-
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Tom Kat wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:33 am I was late to the party with Glocks. What do all of you think Glocks?
Well you asked so here’s my two cents and it’s worth every penny you paid for it;

I purchased my first Glock 30 years ago from a local LEO, a Model 23 [40 S&W] for $400 bucks. At the time I didn’t think much of it. About 10 years later, I attended a 4-day defensive handgun course at a place called Front Sight in Nevada with my older brother. We both used a Glock 22 [40 S&W] and between us we shot close to 2000 rounds. We did-not suffer any gun malfunctions during that entire period...none!

In our class of 50 students, there were all types of semi-auto hand guns; S&W M&P, Springfield Armory XD, H&K, Walther, Sig-Sauer, Beretta and a few others. I don’t recollect the exact number but there were 1 or 2 Model 1911’s and in this environment, there was high volume of shooting and numerous magazine reloads were the standard along with sore thumbs. Glock was the most prevalent yet with the least number of failures and of the Glocks, usually it was a weak recoil spring guide rod or a weak magazine spring. The other brands had more failures per capita and all of this was with factory ammunition, the only kind allowed in these environments due to the potential for a squib load ammunition failure.

What I took away from that was the reliability of the Glock platform. To date, I’ve shot thousands of rounds through my Glock 23 and it has never failed me. After my trip I purchased a Glock 17 and a Glock 22. I’ve shot the Glock 22 thousands of rounds and it too has never let me down. I haven’t shot the Glock 17 as much but since 9mm defense ammunition has improved significantly in the past few years I will shoot that one more and may be use it from time to time. The Glock 17 has never failed me either. In recent years I have also procured a Glock 42 [380] and a Glock 20 [10mm] and to date they all function flawlessly. The Glock 20 has become a favorite carry arm in the woods. 15+1 rounds of 10mm with hard-cast lead or jacketed bullets out of my Bar-Sto barrel loaded up to 10mm velocities offers a lot of hard-hitting fire power.

The Glock bulge. IMO, this is more prevalent with the two 40-cal cases and the 45-cal case than the 9mm in the early GENERATION than the later GENERATIONs. Full length sizing never completely got rid of the bulge for me so I would just toss the brass in the brass bins at the range.

On a business trip several years back in Phoenix, I came across a new tool [at the time] made by Redding called GRX. It is a die that take the bulge completely out and, at the time it was the only one around that was like it. I picked it up, tossed it in my luggage and back to Portland I went. When I got back to WA I tried it out and VOILÀ, it worked, so now I save all of my brass.

In summary, the Glock platform is butt-ugly. So ugly in fact that every time I go to the beach, the tide goes out but she sure puts out [lead of course😉] and with a semi-auto, that is paramount. My Glocks and other semi-auto pistols function-every time and if they don’t, they’re repaired and if they can’t be repaired, they’re flogged and don’t stay around.

Thanks,
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I have pretty average size man hands. My glove size is XL but I don't know why. Anyway, I think Glock may be best suited for people with large hands. Its just my own observation. Like I said, a Model 23 is my door greeter.

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Oh my goodness...I had no idea what a Glock switch was, or how big a thing it was in black hip hop culture. That could be because I am an old white guy living in nowhere, Kansas, who obeys the law.

Go onto Youtube and search Glock switch. It was amazing to me...turns out my Model 23 is a gangsta favorite to convert.

https://youtube.com/shorts/P0mrBOe6uYw? ... BBsOVxB4Hu

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

The trigger kit has been around and the anti-gun folks have really been working on banning it also, along with many other products that have come out on the market in the last few years to allow more rapid fire of semi-autos.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Interesting how the Block is so popular with the very worst amongst us. Another interesting trend.

But like I admitted to above, they are reliable, just plain butt-ugly, and have no soul compared to the 1911. Just don't leave your Block out so your dog can get to it! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails