What's Your Carry of Choice

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

What's Your Carry of Choice

Post by skipper »

Let's see what you carry on a daily basis.

I'm retired now and do volunteer work at church around little tykes most days. That leads me to need to carry deeply concealed. I'm often changing light bulbs on top of a 6 foot ladder which raises my shirt higher that most holsters will discretely conceal. The choice becomes harder under those circumstances. Here's my daily carry stable:
Most days I carry this HK VP9SK. This is a sub compact that is very easy for me to conceal. It is well rounded and doesn't get hung up on the draw from deep concealment. HK makes a very well constructed and reliable weapon indeed. True Cadillacs.
VP9SK.jpg
VP9SK.jpg (104.7 KiB) Viewed 270065 times
This is a micro 9 and very easy to conceal. This gun is the second choice to the HK only because it's so snappy and has sharp edges on the sides of the grip. It digs into my hand after a couple of magazines at the range making my grip ineffective. Most fire fights are over within a few shots and a few seconds time so this gun gets high marks.
Springfield Hellcat.jpg
Springfield Hellcat.jpg (163.9 KiB) Viewed 270065 times
This Glock is a pretty good carry option. No sharp edges to get caught on clothing or dig into my palm. One really positive thing about ugly Glocks is that you can fill a magazine with every conceivable type of bullet from various manufacturers and it will go bang every time you pull the trigger. THAT is a positive.
Glock 26.jpg
Glock 26.jpg (116.64 KiB) Viewed 270065 times
This Sig Sauer gets rotated in from time to time but has a lot of things that get caught on clothing.
Sig 229 Legion.jpg
Sig 229 Legion.jpg (186.09 KiB) Viewed 270065 times
This was my first concealed carry pistol. I love the trigger on it. I don't like the exposed hammer, beavertail and thumb safety on a weapon that may get called into action on a moments notice. Really nice gun but, not what I would consider the perfect deep concealed option.
Kimber Ultra Carry 2.jpg
Kimber Ultra Carry 2.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 270065 times
As each person has different considerations when choosing a concealed carry pistol so his or her preferences may vary. The idea is to be armed whenever possible because of the world we live in nowadays. It's a terrible thing to live in a world where we need protection using deadly force. What's you choice?
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Re: What's Your Carry of Choice

Post by Tom Kat »

20180926_181840.jpg
20180926_181840.jpg (492.84 KiB) Viewed 270053 times

I have carried many, but my all time favorite is this Kimber Micro 9. Its comfortable, reliable, and accurate. I put the rubber panel grips on it. I use an OW fobus holster and leave my shirt untucked to conceal it. I will add this is a 1911 style gun with less safetys than John Browning had in mind. Great trigger on this gun...
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Well after 28 yrs in LE and long retired, I do not show anyone what or if I carry. In this case it pays not to advertise unless a situation develops and a criminal needs to find out. :D
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

We are a constitutional carry state, we figure everyone is armed at all times
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

To me, that depends on what season it is, where I'm headed, what social environment will be encountered, and of course, what threat level may be typically experienced. Most times that translates into "it WILL be a .45", and if not, at least a 9mm. I own but do not carry any .380's now, as with the increased level of criminal stupidity these days, the actual possibility of an armed encounter has increased exponentially.

So when I go out, my choice may be one of the examples below, or it might be another piece not pictured. But to the casual observer, "who knows?"

But one thing remains the same all the time.....I will be armed if outside my home. And after just over 50 years of carrying the venerable 1911, chances are it will be one iteration or another of that platform. NO plastic or striker-fired pistols for me, thank you (no 'staple-gun' triggers either), as being born in the late Jurassic Period, I know what works, and works well for repelling boarders. You may draw your own conclusions.

Late Edit: When conditions or requirements narrow the choices for some obscure reason, there's always an alternative for those "special times"....

Yes Loretta, we take our personal safety seriously. Today, tomorrow, always. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper

Post by skipper »

Say Rick, where's that new Wilson Combat of yours?
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pmSay Rick, where's that new Wilson Combat of yours?
One word answer....."close", very close usually. It just didn't make the photo cut when I posted above, nor did many others in my stash.

Being it's a 9mm, it does not have the favor my .45's share, but when I feel the need for more rounds on board (10+1 or 15+1), it gets carried IWB in a Milt Sparks VM2, or OWB in a Wright Leather Works Predator rig. It now is approaching the 1,000 round mark, so far zero failures of any kind whatsoever. But I'd expect and demand that kind of performance from a pistol in it's price range. Total reliability should be a norm for all defensive pistols, and one should not have to pay a premium price to attain it, but in today's world, we either pony up or be satisfied with less.

But seeing as you asked, here's some pics of the little heater.....

The three different magazines are a 10-round with flush bottom for maximum concealment, 10-round finger-rest for better shooting grip, and the extended 15-round mags for "those times". ;)

And this pistol eats virtually everything stuffed into her, FMJ's of all weights, SD HP's of all brands, and all my handloads including a carry load that duplicates the Hornady FTX load using their 124gr HP....

I just finished up a quick run of 200 rounds of that load on my Dillon RL550B to give me a year's supply of the SD load. It impacts exactly the same as the factory load too.

So far I'm very pleased with the pistol in every regard. Same carry weight as my Kimber Ultra's but with more rounds on board in either 9mm or .45, double-stack that has a grip circumference less than a 1911, and has all 1911 controls....a must for me after a lifetime of carrying the 1911 platform. And it's hammer-fired so I can see the condition immediately, and contains absolutely no plastic! :!: It's just one of my carry choices.

So now Skipper, glad you asked? :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

So you realize that qualifies as a 2011, right?
WesF
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12FV

Post by WesF »

I, like Bill K, refuse to inform/advertise whether I carry a concealed weapon. I know this sounds paranoid but I do have trust issues :help:.
Shoot straight & often.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:35 pmSo you realize that qualifies as a 2011, right?
Yes, I'm aware. Not sure of your point though.

I do not recall ever saying the WC SFX9 was a 1911.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick

Just needling you sir. You made a comment on a topic I posted a while back about double stack 2011 guns.

Bill and WesF

In Texas I look at everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, as if they are armed to the teeth. If you're not armed your wading into some murky waters in this state. I know there are those at the church I attend that don't carry. Otherwise, most everyone I encounter I consider as packing.
skipper

Post by skipper »

Rick, check your PMs
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bill and WesF

In Texas I look at everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, as if they are armed to the teeth. If you're not armed your wading into some murky waters in this state. I know there are those at the church I attend that don't carry. Otherwise, most everyone I encounter I consider as packing.
[/quote]

Don't take my comments re: carry the wrong way. I fully believe in CC and even OP carry. My point is with the way the government watches and reads comments on various websites, there is no reason to tell them what you have, nor if you carry. I know many agencies know what you own, from the DROS and other papers you fill out when making a purchase, but do not give them more info, that maybe, just maybe they don't already have.
But you post and make comments on your style, etc. anyway and anywhere you want. Bill K

I pray that the movement for Constitutional carry continues, as about 28 or so states now have, to all the states, but I know there will be some holdouts, i.e. N.Y. Ca for some, for sure.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I get your point Bill. However, if they know who I am from a post on this site then what's the point of concealing anything? I have my popcorn in hand as I watch the proceedings in Illinois over the next couple of months. Are the democrats going to turn millions of legal gun owners into criminals in an election year? What is going on there is the beginnings of a Civil Rebellion. One where the Sherrifs are already taking gun owner's side.

To me, the problem lies elsewhere other than legal gun owners. Those are the ones you can trust. Perhaps it's time to get out and vote. That's the real problem, people won't get out and vote their convictions. Too INCONVENIENT!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Not just the state you mention, look what Newsom has done with legal CCW carriers in Ca. But eventually he type will be taken out, somehow and things may return to a better place and back when the Constitution and Bill of Rights really meant somthing to Government leaders. :)