First Timer questions....

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

First Timer questions....

Post by savage rookie »

Well, I at a point in my life where I feel like I am mature enough to buy a handgun (23), but haven't the faintest idea where to start looking. I have had my pistol permit for the past year or so, mainly because my dad past down a .22lr/wmr revolver to me, and i needed a permit for transporting it to the range and back. I'm not totally unfamilier with handguns, though I'll readily admit that I'm still very much a novice.

The main purpose that I want to get a handgun, be it centerfire automatic or revolver, is for target shooting and eventually as a carry gun (general reasons, not personal). Concealed carry is a LONG way off in the future, would prefer to become well aquainted and proficient enough before that step.

First off, upper management (better half) has set my expense account limit right around 800$ give or take. I'm leaning towards an automatic, simply because with my current single action revolver's grip feels a bit unwieldy/akeward compared to the few autos I've handled/shot. I liked the straight grip of the 1911's (both fullsize and compact with grip extension), been bothered by the bulkyness of glock (22 i belive, .40cal) and non-to-impressed with the other few polymer frame pistols (balance, weight) I've had in my hands.

I'm a bigger framed guy (6' 3", 240lbs), not really bothered by recoil, but prefer a smaller framed/length pistol, but still would like a bit of "heft". I am also not to put off by the cost of shells, but that may change after a few hundred rounds.

So I guess what I am asking is what would you guys suggest as a first timers cf handgun for the above mentioned criteria? I really like the feel/look of the compact 1911's, but am I limiting myself with a compact or overstepping my skill level by selecting this platform? I realize that the 1911 is only available in limited calibers but am not above asking santa claus for a .22 conversion for plinking and whatnot.

Thanks for any and all input....

B. Paige
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: First Timer questions....

Post by Captqc »

There are as many choices out there as there opinions, but seeing how you asked I suggest a Sig Sauer P226 in 40 S&W. Sig's are tough as nails and have basically the same feel as a 1911. Just remember to try as many guns as possible (if you're lucky there will be a range nearby that rents guns). Also, keep in mind that you are the one who may have to depend upon that weapon someday so be sure to get something that you can learn to handle and shoot well. Gary
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Captqc - has it right. Try as many as possible.

Personally, I would go with a $400 1911 full size and put an option or two on it that you like (trigger job if needed, grips, sites, whatever).
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Gary-

No ranges around here that do that, might be one in Sioux Falls, but for now I am limited to the local gunshops. this weekend I plan on making the rounds and seeing what everyone has to offer local; see what fits, what feels good and general handling. I don't have a deadline to buy, so for now it's research, research and more research.

Acloco-

Are there any brands that I should be looking for or avoiding in the lower end of the market. For a first pistol I want something that is dependable, and that I only have to buy once, if you know what I mean. I'm not above buying a lower priced gun, but like most people I still want quality and reliability.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Buy yourself a Smith and Wesson Airweight. Read the statistics on handgun exchanges. They are close and quick. You need a gun that goes bang every time. You do not need 16 rounds or a gun that is accurate to 50 yards and drags your pants down or makes a big buldge in your clothes. You will only carry a uncomfortable gun a few times. The most expensive, cool carry gun in the world will not save your life if it is at home in the safe. I have owned and used in competition scores of 1911's. All top flight from the best smiths in the country. The little .38 is the one I bank on. Use the rest of your money and get a new rifle that you can have fun with. Just my opinion after 30 years of concealed carry and never a gun drawn or a shot fired and praying that it stays that way.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

When I bought my carry gun I only considered a very few pistols. Over the years I have gotten rid of many pistols because they would jam or fail to fire. You don't want a carry pistol that won't fire when you pull the trigger. The acid test is to fill a magazine with different types of bullets. One fully jacketed, one semi wad cutter, one hacket hollow point, one semi jacketed hollow point, etc. Load the magazine and fire. If it jams, toss it to the side and don't look back. Here is my short list when I bought my carry pistol:

Colt 1911
Beretta 92F
H&K USP
Glock

I ended up with the H&K USP Compact in 40 S&W. I know I have skipped over quite a few pistols. I also know which pistols that have shot everything I've fed them and kept right on shooting. You also need to consider a pistol that won't catch on your clothing while trying to bring it into action. The Colt and the Beretta had too many sharp edges. Good Luck on your decision.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

savage rookie: You've been given some good advice from forum members that ring very true to me. As WP mentioned, a revolver "goes bang every time", and is not ammunition sensitive. An autoloader gives you more firepower, but in the real world in "social situations", most use of a handgun lasts no more than 2.3 rounds (according to FBI stats...... personally, I've never fired ".3" of a round) and is at close range and over quickly.

Decide if you want an auto or revolver, buy the best you can afford, and PRACTICE with it on a regular basis prior to daily carry. Choose a handgun that you feel comfortable and confident with that will conceal easily. As my friend WP said, "if it's in the safe at home" because it's not comfortable to carry, you might as well carry a sharp stick.

My personal choice is a 1911 .45, but I was trained with this platform many years ago, have carried one variation or another of it for over 35 years daily, so it's now very familiar to me, and I give it no second thought. A Seecamp .32acp mini-auto w/Silvertips goes with me when the .45 just won't work (i.e. shorts & t-shirt). Both/all have been given the "200 round reliability test" prior to carry, meaning one session, 200 rounds down range with zero failures of any kind. The reason some carry revolvers.

One more thing.....forget the "cool factor", and choose one that just feels right to you.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Well I made it to a few shops this evening, got to handle a few more different handguns. Following previous suggestions I got to look at a both a sig 226 elite and 239, as well as a few different revolvers.

I tryed a limited amount of fullsize 1911's (para's, kimbers and a springfield) and liked them, would love to have them in the safe, but like everyone ahs said, felt that they were way on the heavy side for an eventual carry gun. The kimber compact was a better, the grips were comforable all the way around, and liked the balance so they are still very much in the running.

The 226's grip felt a bit close to the trigger for my banana hands, the 239 on the other hand felt really nice, didn't crowd me at all, and also seemed to have a better balance than the 226.
overall I was really impressed with the sigs but I didn't like the 239's silver slide on black frame, would prefer all black but that's easy enough to fiind.

No HKs in the shops at all, one of the dealers said the last time he saw one was in aberdeen, about a 45 minute drive north, so I will have to wait on that option.

The few small revolvers that passed through my hands were just too small, and didn't feel comfortable at all. The medium frames were better, but still had the same problem that I have with my plinker .22 with a few, that being the weird (to me) curved handle. I just felt like my hand was going to fall off of them.

One of the little ones that I did like was the hammerless s&w 340. Th grip was a bit short but not not unberably so, without a hammer in the way I was able to grip up a bit higher and make do. The medium frame revolvers were alot better fit for me, I tryed a sw m&p 386 and 686 (out of budget) . The 386 fit awesome because of the larger grip area that allowed my pinky to be on the gun. The 686 felt good too but was taking into account whistle pigs ideas concerning a carry pistols weight and felt that it was a bit on the heavy side.

Well, still have the weekend to get out and hit the shops hard to get some more ideas, thanks for all your help so far.

B Paige
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ain't shopping for guns great! :lol: Keep us posted on your progress. Gary
savage rookie

Post by savage rookie »

Well, decided to go duck/goose hunting this weekend, spent the rest of the time with the family, so didn't get to do much shopping.

However, found a gunshop in KY (I think), called Bud's Gunshop selling the afore mentioned SW686 for a song; about 150$ cheaper than around here type of song. Another added bonus is they have it in the 3" version instead of the 4". So that's been weighing pretty heavily on my mind. Just loved the fit of that one....funny how I go from looking at an auto to a wheel gun.

ah well the dance goes on.

Paige
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Bud's has a good reputation as a square businessman, I've seen them set up at our local gunshows several times, with excellent prices, too. They are NOT local to me, but not too far off, either. I plan on stopping by their shop one of these years, if I get down to that part of the state. As far as I know, they are straight up, to do business with, I haven't heard any complaints, anyway, and I would, my ears are always perked up for such stuff.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

IMHO, There is nothing wrong with the .38/357 revolver if you are going to limit yourself to just one. It is less prone to malfunction, requires less time to achieve a reasonable degree of proficiency, and should you be depending on your spouse to use it, all they have to do is keep pulling the trigger.

One that I have as my primary concealed carry and has not been mentioned is the Walther P-99. It comes in 9mm and .40s&w. Mine is a .40 and holds 10rds. It's lighter than the 1911s for carry, has a de-cocker that allows one chambered for a double action first shot and has a set of three interchangeable grip panels to be set for your hand size, comfort, and accuracy. I use a Milt Sparks versa-max holster that gives adequate support and very seldom remember I'm carrying it.

I have a wide variety of handguns, both revolver and semi-autos, from .22lrs on up to .44 magnums and the Walther is the one I carry the most.
AR
Factory/Factory