Kimber Custom Covert II

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Re: Kimber Custom Covert II

Post by OldTurtle »

Ray, I'll kick in my $0.02 worth on Kimbers as well...

While I'm a 10mm fan (own 5) over the .45acp, my target model is one that I've had since Kimber first offered their 10mm.

Other than an initial extraction problem during the first 50 rounds, which they had great customer service in repairing, I've experienced no problems and it is really accurate...
AR
Factory/Factory
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Question for all you Kimber owner. After the break in of our Kimber with the white box winchester 230 gr hard ball ammo, that was suggested. Hand loading what choice of bullet should we go with? Suggestions please, unless everyone is shooting factory loads.
Thanks for any help.
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: In my Kimber .45's, I primarily shoot 230gr hardball, as it just gets the job done, even in dire "social situations". There is never a thought of a jam or misfeed, as they go through a Kimber like grease through a goose. The military is still using this load.

For practice, jackrabbits, and just plinking with the .45, I use the Hensely & Gibbs #68 bullet, SWC, 200gr. cast that feeds very well in these pistols, and punches nice full caliber holes in paper or fur targets. It is one of the bullets of choice for IPSC competitors and others that shoot alot. Glen here is familiar with this bullet, I'm certain, as he shot competitivley for some time.

The 230gr FMJ's are not too expensive either, and were designed specifically for the 1911. FMJ's may not be effective in most handguns, but the .45ACP is an exception to this rule. Good luck with yours.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

As Rick mentioned, the 200 SWC is a fine bullet for general shooting and having fun with. I think I've probably shot 200K of them over the years :D . All those loads were all about power and generated at least 900 fps. for IPSC power factor, so I had a goal and loaded to that goal, not necessarily for best accuracy. Here's some of the loads I used over the years, all with WCC brass and WLP primers, for clarity's sake, but all these loads worked in all brass and with all primers, they aren't near maximum at all.

5.7 AA #2
5.8 Win. 231
7.0 Unique

I'd avoid Unique now, there are a lot better powders out there that will do the same thing, more cleanly and possibly more accurately. Unique, as good as it is, is smoky on a humid day, too, and that's not good when you're in a hurry to shoot fast.
Tite group is getting a lot of good press nowadays, I haven't ever tried it, but I hear good things.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

glenn asher / Rick.........thanks alot for your input. My dad has a 16 lb of Bullseye he got for me to load 38/357's and I have ww 231 so I'm not short on powder, just got to find the heads (bullets) to use.
This is going to be a new experience. 1st 1911 for me........well my son.
Thanks
Later
Ray p
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ray: You can't go wrong with WW-231 in the .45, so you should be good to go using either jacketed or cast bullets. You can buy 1K cast .45's in either 230 or 200 gr weight, and save some money and still have good shooting loads. FMJ 230's are still not that expensive either, and function in about every 1911 ever born.

You're going to love your new Kimber! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Ray,
I'm waiting for my second Kimber as I put a deposit on a like new Gold Combat II in stainless at my favorite gun shop. Now I just have to sell another gun to afford the Kimber. Once the bug bites you'll have to have more! :eek:
Gary
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Gary.........thanks and I hear ya! Just like the 204 bug.........I got 3!
I'm kinda a revolver nut. Here in Pa you can handgun hunt with revolver only not semis. This was my son's dream............we all have.em. Some become reality and some are still dreams.
Thanks guys for all your input.
Just received in the mail a crimson trace dvd....Yeha! Can't wait.
Later
Ray P
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Well we picked her up yesterday at the dealer and I'll say is whooo what a sweet Kimber! I'll post some pics with happy owner soon.
Thanks for all help guys. Range trip next.
Later
Ray P :eek: :D