Review of the Ruger SR9!

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
204Shooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77II Ultralight

Review of the Ruger SR9!

Post by 204Shooter »

To all those interested, here is a link to my review of the SR9! I tried to keep it objective and honest! Enjoy!

http://www.204ruger.com/sr9-review.html
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Review of the Ruger SR9!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Brian: Good, well-written review of the SR9. You covered all the bases quite well, both subjective and objectively.

After reading it all the way through though, it confirmed my bias and loyalty to the .45 ACP caliber, and specifically the 1911 platform, hammer-fired pistol, and for me as you know, that's spelled KIMBER. American company, American cartridge, the best hand-fitting pistol I've ever felt (subjective, I know) utter reliability every time, and proven fight stopping performance for almost 100 years. If you need more than 8 or 9 rounds of pistol fire, then you should have brought your rifle or shotgun to the fight.

Not knocking your review, but to me, the 9mm is NOT a adequate caliber for any serious combat, but I'll freely admit that the .40 comes a close second. To temper this though, remember that from time to time when conditions warrant, I've been known to carry my .38 Spl+P, and when in skimpy clothing in hot weather, my PPK .380, Colt 1906 .380, or even my Seecamp .32ACP loaded with WW Silvertips (did I say that? :eek: ) But 95% of the time when I'm out 'n about, it's one of my .45's every time. From experience, I KNOW the .45 gets the job done. Most of our Spec Ops and even HRT has gone back to the .45.

One of my pet carry rigs:

Seriously though, I think Ruger may have finally got it right in the SR-9, and if you like 9mm striker-fired pistols, this may be the one. Even though one of my sons is the Military & LE Sales Mgr for Glock, I'll likely never own a "Block".....just can't go there (see above). Someday, there surely will be nice aftermarket grips and other goodies for the SR9, as long as the Demo's don't ban the manufacture of all semi-auto's in the next four years. Guess we'll see..... But I digress. Good review, Brian, and end of negative 9mm rant. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

Rick:

Thank you for your reply, truly! You are as level-headed as they come and I have learned to value your experienced opinion! I always want to hear it!

Like I stated in the review, I am a rifle guy. You know that. So I don't have any close emotional ties to any handgun caliber. I cannot and will not argue that the 9mm has more stopping power than the .40 S&W or the .45 ACP. Both of them have more, considerably more and I would be stupid to argue that point. I do enjoy these discussions though!

Here was my simple thought process.
1. For my first semi-auto handgun, I wanted something that was cheap to shoot. Where I am at, the price of .40 and .45 ammo starts about 50% more than 9mm ammo. I like to shoot this thing and the more shooting I can get in, the better!
2. For me (and this may or may not apply to others), I enjoy guns that recoil less, both long guns and short guns. All else equal, I am more accurate with guns that recoil less. Same reason I am soo fond of my little .204! :D
3. I read once that the 9mm had a reputation for over penetration but not enough stopping power. What??? This did not make sense to me so I dove in trying to figure out what they were talking about. Through a lot of reading, I came to the conclusion that NATO specifies that military 9mm rounds are supposed to be 115 gr ball (FMJ) rounds. Well dugh! A light, non-expanding bullet over penetrates but does not have stopping power! Who would have thought! Many believe that a slightly heavier hollow-point in a 9mm will do the job on a bad guy.

Soo... I chose the 9mm. But again, I do agree with you and your opinion on larger caliber handguns. If I put myself in harms way on a regular basis, I would not choose the 9mm. I would probably go with the .40 S&W (but only because I like higher velocity). But because I am an old Wyoming farm boy all growed up and hope to never use any firearm on another person, I just went with the 9mm. I do hope to try it out on some jack rabbits soon though!

Ahh! The Kimber. I looked long and hard at these. I wanted the Stainless Raptor II or the Eclipse Target II. Ohhh, they are beautiful guns indeed! :wtg: But in the end, I could not justify the expense. But I will keep my options open! :D
Marriage is the only sport where the trapped animal has to buy the license! ... Just kiddin honey! :hail:
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Very nice handgun Brian!! I like it! Can't wait to hear the update on the new trigger for it now. Excellent writeup as well. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well Brian, reading your reasons for going with the nine make perfect sense in your position, and I'd not offer any arguement. We all have our reasons for everything we do, own, and prefer. That's just some of the reasons I love the USA; we have choices! And I've never met a jackrabbit that had a 9mm bounce off him!

I've got to add that your thoughts regarding NATO's reasoning for the 9mm are spot-on. It was all done for logistical reasons, NOT for practical combat reasons. Seems they had to re-learn what was learned almost 100 years ago. Another government blunder, but fortunately troops and operators in the know have swapped out their nines for .45's where permitted.

Give us the lowdown on the new SR9 trigger when you can.

As for a Kimber.....be a good boy, and maybe, just maybe Santa will adorne your tree in a coming year with a properly shaped box all wrapped up.... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Thats one pretty hand gun Rick....... But as Elmer Kieth once said " that short barrel sure smokes the trousers up when shooting from a sitting down position and resting on ones leg" KB. :wink:
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ken: Ha! Old Elmer was right, and I have many pairs of Levi's with powder burns on the legs from shooting my .44's in Elmer's favored long range position. I have an autographed copy of his book "Sixguns" that I treasure. It's been read cover to cover countless times in all the years I've had it. Got it for $4.50 at a flea market back in the early 70's. Ted Keith, Elmer's son told me it's now worth in excess of $350 because of the autograph from the author.

But the .45 shown is not intended for such things, and only gets shot two-handed standing up, so there are no powder burns on any pants from any of those pistols. I just wish I could find all my brass!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Long memories... it was in fact a short barreled 44 magnum i remember Mr. Kieth writing about in about 1969. His was always my favorite read in our then only mag. GUNS&AMMO. Thanks Rick.KB. PS. Is his son in the firearms trade?
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Ken: I'm not sure what line of work Ted Keith is in. I've met him a couple of times at the NRA Convention and at the SHOT Show once. I don't see his name mentioned often in the trade magazines or by word of mouth, so doubt he's in the industry. I'd sure like to spend an evening with him talking about his dad though.

Speaking of smoking a pair of Levi's, my 3" Model 29 Classic .44 Mag REALLY can light a pair on fire! I thought about having wifey sew some leather pieces on the affected area for long range handgun work. Best I stick to my 6" M629 for such activities me thinks. ;)

Brian: Sorry for the thread deviation.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

kenbrofox

Post by kenbrofox »

Brian, sorry from me too for leading Rick to deviate, could'nt resist when i thoughtof "ELMER". Rick, i had a mod. 29 4" stainless in the late '60s but could only use it on government approved ranges....officially anyway. In uk now, those days are long gone. It will be a long way back to owning a regular hand gun here again if ever. :cry: PS. prmise not to post again on this subject.KB.
' Pay it forward buddy '
204Shooter

Post by 204Shooter »

You guys are fine. It's all about the conversation!

Now if I had asked a question and I were not getting an answer because you high-jacked my thread, that would be something else! :assault: :D
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

204 Shooter,
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I recently bought an SR9 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm very interested in the trigger mod so please post that info when you get a chance.
Gary
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gary: You're getting new toys and not reporting it to the EORFS crew? What's up with that, buddy? Trying to surprise both us and Skippy? :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Rat Force One

Post by Rat Force One »

Rick, you think its tough to keep up?!? Heck I'm his dang kid that talks to him a few times a week and I have a heck of a time. I'd be labored to try and list off the contents of my dear old dad's safe. (read, my inheritance). I forgot he had that until I read this post. After reading 204 shooters reveiw I'd like to go shoot it now.

Dan
nothing beats red mist in the morning
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Okay Rick (and sonny) here's a list of guns that I didn't have last season but do now:
Ruger SR9, Ruger LCP (w/CT Laser), Ruger Mark III with Tact. Solution barrel, S&W 642, Kimber Gold Combat II, CZ 527 in .223. I think that's it.... :eek: oh wait, I'm thinking of getting a Ruger #1 in 22-250 w/heavy barrel. Of course there is still a few months before the first trip that I can make so who knows! :lol: I think I need a bigger safe! Skippy look out!!!! Gary