A 1911 project (Modem warning, photo heavy)

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
BillC
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

A 1911 project (Modem warning, photo heavy)

Post by BillC »

Since this section doesn't get a lot of action, I thought I might add a bit.
A while back, I noticed a new Springfield Champion at a gun show and bought it.

As soon as I got the gun home, I contacted Brownells Gunsmith Supply and ordered an Ed Brown bobtail mainspring housing and a jig. I had carefully inspected the gun and found that the frame was .020 out of spec, with the mainspring housing resting too high in the frame. This was most evident when looking at the butt/heel of the pistol grip.

Not wanting to deal with that misfit with the new housing, I offset the new retaining pin hole .020 (using the jig) to let the new housing sit flush with the grip frame.
This presented me with the expected problem of having part of the original holes left in the frame after trimming it to match the new mainspring housing.

I gently placed the frame in my vice and using an acetylene torch, loaded the 'divots' with nickel brazing rod then dressed the excess material down to match the frame and finished the fitting job. This picture was enhanced to show the slight differences in the colors of the base material and the nickel.

I liked the original grips and wanted to keep them. Upon examination, they appeared to be some type of mycarta or resin impregnated wood, so I filed them down (rather than attempting to saw them) and lightly polished the dressed edges. I also cut a relief in the underside so they would clear the mainspring housing pin.
Once back together, I shot the pistol for the first time and found it to far exceed my expectations. (Sorry, no pictures of any targets)

Since I had bought this gun as an alternate carry piece, I elected to purchase good gun leather for it and found that Lightning Arms had a Del Fatti pancake type holster that would fit it.

In the end, I had a fantastic pistol that didn't print (no sharp corner on the grip frame), shot well, and was a joy to carry.

If any of you fine fellows are interested in doing your own bobtail job (I recommend this be done only on a stainless pistol), send me a PM with your mailing address, and I will loan you my bobtail jig and #2 center drill.

Bill.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: A 1911 project (Modem warning, photo heavy)

Post by Captqc »

Bill,
Nice work! How soon can I send my Kimber Gold Combat to you for a bobtail job? :D Gary
rpknaz
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger KM77VT MKII with Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40

Post by rpknaz »

That is sweet. :wtg:
Peace and love will get you killed. Unarmed helplessness is a welcome mat for evil. Self-defense is the most powerful, driving instinct in good people everywhere. To deny it is evil personified. Ted Nugent.
BillC

Post by BillC »

Captqc wrote:Bill,
Nice work! How soon can I send my Kimber Gold Combat to you for a bobtail job? :D Gary
Thank you for the complement.

I know you are joking about me bobtailing your pistol, but. . .

If you decide to do the bobtail at some point, I will loan you the Ed Brown jig and a #2 Center drill.

It's a pretty easy job. You would need a drill press (even a small one from Harbor Freight will do) a drill press vise, "C" clamp, a 5/32 drill bit, and a 10 inch single cut mill file. If you already have those things, you can get the housing from Brownells for around $60. It comes with the internals already in it. You re-use your retaining pin.

With stainless, finishing is done with various grades of wet/dry sandpaper and some flitz. You can even have it grit/bead blasted if you prefer. Blued or coated guns would probably require professional re-finishing. Aluminum frames have been bobtailed, but I don't think I would do it. There isn't a lot of metal left around part of the pin and I would worry about breakout at some point (which would ruin the frame).

It does feel nice in the hand and this modification really helps to keep the gun from printing through clothing.

Bill.
BillC

Post by BillC »

Because I had so many pictures of the Champion, I didn't post a pic of my regular carry piece.
It is a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II. This gun has been absolutely reliable since day 1. It was dinging the brass a tiny bit, but after I adjusted the tension on the extractor, that went away.

It rides around in Del Fatti leather as well. This is an IWB rig, also from Lightning Arms.

I spent a healthy chunk of change on the holsters (each holster was over $200), but I have never regretted it. I had a cheap holster and quickly realized I would have been better off with the gun just tucked in my waistband. Good gun leather (including a good, stiff gun belt) is the difference between fighting the weight of the gun and barely noticing it is there. Good magazines (Wilson or Tripp) are used in both guns.

I also have a SIG GSR and a Wilson, but for carry, the Kimber and the Champion get the nod.

Bill.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: Nice custom touch on the pistol, very good work too. Including the carry piece and high quality holsters, this post is a complete "drool" item for any 1911 .45 afficionado, myself included. ;)

Well done!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

BillC

Post by BillC »

Thanks Rick.
I know you are a 1911 guy.
For your personal enjoyment, here are my other two:

The Wilson is in the hands of a gun dealer on consignment at the moment. It is a very nice pistol, but I don't shoot it.

The SIG is one of the early guns (serial number 3,XXX) and has been flawless. It is also the most accurate 1911 I have ever fired. It is too big for me to carry comfortably, but it serves as my bedside gun.

I have installed short titanium/carbon triggers in the Kimber, Springer, and SIG. They all have EGW tool steel sears as well. Trigger pulls are around three pounds in all the guns, with no discernable creep. Delightfully crisp.

I have owned many handguns, revolvers and autos alike. The 1911 is the only centerfire I care to own these days. I don't handgun hunt but I like to shoot. For defensive use, I can't imagine anyting better than a 1911 chambered in .45 ACP. That combination may not always be the best, but those big fat bullets inspire great confidence in me. For fun shooting, I handload 230 grain hardball. 230 grain Speer Gold Dots are in the house and carry guns for serious use.

I've warned people about buying their first 1911. Such a purchase entails great peril, as the buyer may find they no longer care much for their 'other' handguns. I have seen this happen time and again. I can't quite put my finger on the magic of the old war horse, but the magic is real nontheless.

Bill.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Okay Bill,
Instead of sending you one of my Kimbers for a bobtail job I went ahead and plunked down a deposit on a Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail in 10mm. I'll post some pics as soon as I get her paid off. Of course I may like her so much that at least one of the Kimbers may still get "bobbed" :eek:
Gary
BillC

Post by BillC »

Captqc wrote:Okay Bill,
Instead of sending you one of my Kimbers for a bobtail job I went ahead and plunked down a deposit on a Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail in 10mm. I'll post some pics as soon as I get her paid off. Of course I may like her so much that at least one of the Kimbers may still get "bobbed" :eek:
Gary

Congratulations on your new DW!
If you like the bobtail as much as I like my Champion and want to bob one of your Kimbers, my offer still stands. All you need to do is send me a PM with your address and I will mail the jig and #2 center drill to you. I only ask that you mail it back to me when you are finished. This is a Saturday project on a stainless gun. I would be more than happy to walk you through the process. If you take care setting up the drill press, the rest really doesn't amount to much. It's easy and a few hours is all it takes.

Bill.