Summer Snake Medicine

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Summer Snake Medicine

Post by Rick in Oregon »

On our most recent foray for long range ground squirrel shooting, we were reminded by the rancher that it's almost rattlesnake season and to be watchful for Mr. Slinky. Always being armed with a handgun, our thoughts immediately went to 'best snake medicine'.

I normally always carry a Kimber 1911 pattern .45 auto, and on this trip we decided to try the new Speer .45 shot loads. In the past, none of the commercially available shot loads would function the slide of a .45 auto, but to our suprise, the new Speer .45 shot loads do so, and do so perfectly every time, and feed from the magazine without a hitch. We tried them in both full size .45's, and in the 4" "Commander" size and were happy to see they performed and function the pistol perfectly.

Here's a shot of the Speer box along with my Kimber Ultra Carry CDP II:

Up close of the Berdan-primed aluminum Blazer .45 case:

Testing the pattern on white cardboard at 12" from the muzzle resulted in a pattern that no rattler could escape:

The load is 1/3 oz. of No. 9 shot (about 150 grs), and as most snake encounters occur at much less than 12', I'm confident that this load would turn any snake closer than 12' into snakeburger muy pronto. This load will be with me all summer when I'm in the outback here. I wanted to make others aware that a full-functioning snake load for the .45 is now available, and not just for .38-.44 cal revolvers. Good stuff. ;)
Last edited by Rick in Oregon on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: Summer Snake Medicine

Post by Hotshot »

Probably get an attacking Skippy at close range if captqc lets one around the flank during a heated battle. I always hate it when I have to use the bayonet.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Hotshot,
I hate to admit it but last year we had one get in danger close (we thought it was dead but it was very much alive), anyway it made a run at Rick and I took a shot at it from about 5 feet and missed! :eek: I wish I had the bird shot as I'll never live that one down! :duh: I'm not sure how someone can hit a rat at over 400 yards but miss at five feet :huh:
Oh the shame! :lol:
Gary
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I hunted with a fella who could shoot pop caps at 300+ yds but quite often missed turkeys with a 12 gauge at 30yds.

:doh: :duh:
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Rick,

That is the first time I have ever heard of shot cycling an auto. Way cool. Makes me want a kimber more than I ususally do. We usually just use .22 revolvers and problem solved. Thanks for the information.

Daryl
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

I have come to the conclusion, that it can be hard to hit a poisonous snake with a single bullet from your handgun! Well, if you are carrying one of those New JUDGE'S, especially the one with the 3 inch chamber in .410 gauge loaded up with #6 shot, your good to go for hunting of rattlesnakes, or any other critter you might so choose. All you have to do is just point this pistol in the general area, shoot twice and you got a dead snake period. This pistol is a sure thing at even 20 feet away. It patterns very well, as we did do a couple of tests on wall board.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
kenbrofox
.204 Ruger Guns: remington vls 204

Post by kenbrofox »

Rick, some good stories there.I'm going to ask our local police if they'll allow me to have a Kimber .45, just in case any of the rattlers seeYOURS and make a run for it, and end up over here. I wish :lol: Cheers, Ken.
' Pay it forward buddy '
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TONK: To me the Judge is pretty ugly, not to mention heavy when loaded with shotshells, and not something I'd want to carry on a regular basis. Like you, I've depended on the .45 ACP for many years, and with the addition of these snake loads, it takes on yet another personality, and is completely capable of dispatching a pesky rattler with ease, yet still function the action every time.

Nice to have a protection companion that you trust, and is perfectly suited to both tasks when the chips are down. ;)

Kenbro: If we find out these babies can swim across the pond.....we've got REAL trouble! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TONK

Post by TONK »

Rick I gotta agree with you once again! Yep, the JUDGE will NEVER win a beauty contest that for sure. I handled my first one this summer, when trying to teach a fellow how to shoot. The gunstore sold this pistol to him as a CCW weapon......Geez! :eew: :roll:

I raise a few dogs and thought it would be better than having my S&W 29 with 8 inch barrel in a shoulder rig. I myself was thinking of the smaller version of the JUDGE in a holster on my hip perhaps. Since I carry a 45acp in a GLOCK, I am not sure that would work out with those "shot shells". It would be nice if it did Rick. I will look into this today and speak to GLOCK on the phone......Thanks!

The pistol is a bit cumbersum in feel but the .410 gauge shells make up for it's lack of beauty I suppose. They seem to push this pistol as a trail gun etc for hikers but I am not buying that cigar anytime soon. A snub nosed .38spl would suffice in most case's, unless your in bear country and no JUDGE is going to change that much with .410 shotshells. The 45LC might have an effect but I like the idea of my .44mag much better in such an instance. Actually I want my .444 or 45/70 lever gun in my hands by golly.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tonk: PM sent...... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

TONK

Post by TONK »

Hello Rick, I got a phone call this morning from the man you told me to call and he advised what to do with my Glock. He stated it may not cycle all the time with those shot shells but something I would be fine in testing out with the Glock. This makes me feel real good about trying those shotshells my Glock! Just so others will know, YOU CAN USE THE "CCI SHOTSHELLS" in your Glock for snake medication. Thanks again Rick and tell that young gentelman when you see him again, I really did appreciate that phone call this morning. 8)
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TONK: I was in surgery getting re-fixed (again), and just saw that you hooked up with Dave, who just happens to be one of my sons. Glad he helped out, and thanks for posting that Glock officially sez that the CCI Shotshells can be used in their pistols, as I'm sure more than a few have wondered about that very thing. If they function six different Kimber 1911's of various barrel lengths, I'm certain they'd function every time in a "bang every time" Glock.

Snow blowing right now, not much worry about rattlers, but in a few more months, Skippy and his pals will be out and about, as well as Mr. Slinky. One of my Kimbers loaded with these babies WILL be on my person......

Let us know how your Glock(s) fare using this stuff when time permits.....k?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

poppybull
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by poppybull »

Rick, hope your surgery went well, always look forward to reading your post. I use these CCI shotshells in my S&W 357 revolver, WORK GREAT.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

poppy: Yep, get my 32 staples out of my gutty-what's tomorow....all good here again. I used those .38/.357 and their .44 shotshell cups that I've loaded myself for years with #9 shot, and they've always worked very well on snakes. I never thought anyone would make one that would function the action of .45 autoloaders, but it appears the CCI boys figured it out, and did it well. The better for us. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA