Magnum primers for small pistol loads

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Magnum primers for small pistol loads

Post by futuretrades »

Just curiosity here, Does anyone have any experience using magnum primers in a standard 38 special load? I have used all of my small pistol primers and cannot find any more, priced within reason, at this time. I have about 700 magnum primers that i will probably never use up. I do have a load using 10grs. 2400 and 158gr bullets with a magnum primer. This load is on the warm side and not very comfortable to be plinking with. for all of my plinking loads, I am using Titegroup powder and either a 158 gr or 125 gr bullets. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. By the way, these loads will be used in a model 686 S&W revolver, chambered in 357 magnum.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: Magnum primers for small pistol loads

Post by Captqc »

Kevin, I'm no expert but a quick search on the web shows several people saying that they use magnum primers with out any issues. I think the best bet would be to go to the experts for the definitive answer however. :huh: :duh: Gary
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Fortunately, i didn't have to use any of my magnum primers. I found primers at Sportsmans Warehouse in Medford OR. Cost was 31.00 per 1,000. Their shelves were way better stocked on all reloading supplies, than i have ever seen them since the store went in, about 3 years ago! most hodgdon powders were in stock, even 8lb jugs, and bullets were well stocked. the only primers in stock were remington, but they had a bunch, so i got 4,000 small pistol. they even had small rifle, remington primers in stock.
Looks like, at least remington, and even hodgdon is catching up with demand a little! :D
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Boy, I wish the situation would loosen up here in the Portland area! We are seeing more ammo now and a bit more powder but primers are still few and far between. Gary
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Captqc wrote:We are seeing more ammo now and a bit more powder but primers are still few and far between. Gary
What primers are you looking for Gary? I may need to make another trip to medford, so i will be stopping by Sportsman Whse. last time there, they had good selection of remington primers.
Captqc

Post by Captqc »

Hi Kevin, I am using Remington small rifle #7 1/2. I have managed to round up 3,000 so I'll have enough for next season but I'd really like to have another 4 or 5 thousand on hand. Gary
Pmoper
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FV

Post by Pmoper »

I read that they do NOT rec mag primers as it will affect the pressures generated....Don't know if this is true but something to consider....heck, we can't find bullets to load on the East coast....
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Not at all scientific just my experiance. I, like many, have loaded a lot of different loads over the years. I use to shoot a silouette load that recommended Magnum primers. I had a bunch around but they were all you could get in the stores so like most otheres I bought some and wondered what they would do. I have a ballistic program and it was ok with them. I looked at a lot of old books and they said back off a half grain but that was in an artical about 30-06 sized rifle loads.

Long story short I loaded 20 with my regular load of unique and regular primers and 20 with the same load and mag primers. My load is on the top for unique in the speer manual but not real hot from the computer calc. Walked out and shot them all. Thought the hot ones would explode so I was kind of careful but they didnt. They all shot into the same group and after I was done I ask a bunch of different folks that shoot a lot if they could see abnormal pressure signs. 7 people, me included thought the regular loads looked hotter than the mag loads.

I would not suggest that you use them but I am going to. My best guess is that small amounts of fast burning powder cant really tell the difference but lots can go wrong so dont use them. Sell them to me for half price. Thanks.