10 mm

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

10 mm

Post by Mike »

I got to spend a little bit of time with a Glock Model 20 this morning. The owner did some work to the trigger, which made it much more pleasant than any Glock I've handled before. I was very impressed with the 10 mm as well. It was quite pleasant to shoot and didn't have nearly as much muzzle jump as I would have anticipated. I shot a variety of loads through the gun and even with the most potent ammo, recoil was easily manageable.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: 10 mm

Post by Jim White »

The 10mm is a nice godd all around cartridge. Although I've never tried it but supposedly, the earliy 10mm rounds (late 70's early 80's) were quite sporty compared to those of today.

Jim
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

For a while, I had five 10mms of different brands/styles and I will agree that the ammo companies seem to have tamed down some of the velocities a little.

I used to have both a G-20 & G-29.... The 20, from a recoil standpoint, seemed much more comfortable to shoot than, say, my old Thompson Auto Ordnance in the 1911 configuration... I think it had something to do with the size of the grip and the polymer frame being able to absorb some of the actual recoil.

My Kimber 10mm falls right in between the 'felt recoil' spectrum and part of that is, IMHO, due to the weight difference and the beaver tail grip safety...

My Para-Ordnance that I had re-chambered to a 10mm, is pretty close to the Glock 20 in comfort and here again, it has a double stack magazine and wider grip, plus the extra weight as an all steel handgun...

If you are wanting some "rocking" 10mm ammo, contact Tom McNett at Double Tap Ammo.... at one time he was willing to do custom loads for special purposes...
AR
Factory/Factory
jakes10mm
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1

Post by jakes10mm »

Took my Delta Elite 10mm to the range today. Forgot how much I live this cartridge. I had some medium hot loads that proved very accurate. My 14yo and 12yo sons even took their turns with a magazine load. I rarely take mine out since ammo and brass is had to find and expensive. In the Delta ELites, the brass gets ejected into the next county.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

If you are having problems with the distance your Delta throws the empty cases, change the recoil spring to one that is a couple of pounds heavier and it will cure your problem...and it generally softens the recoil...

I have a couple of different weight springs that are applied to the ammo I'm shooting.... I load from 135gr to 200gr bullets for different purposes...

If you are needing brass, check with Starline Brass... They usually have good prices, even though it's gone up in the last couple of years.... I bought 1,000 rounds for reserve about five years ago for $101 and the last time I looked, it was down from $180 to $130...Currently at $136, but back ordered until 3/15/2011..

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php? ... ce83b34298

It's excellent brass and I've had no problems with it and the primer pockets seem to hold up well with hotter loads...
AR
Factory/Factory
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I like the Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm ammo as I don't reload. It's a 180gr JHP running about 1,350fps. I also bought a .40 S&W barrel cause the ammo is readily available.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Mike the very first time I shot a 10mm I was not to impressed with the pistol, a Smith & Wesson model. The loads were handloads in the 200 grain variety. The gun recoiled to much for my liking to be honest. Then several years later, I tried a 10mm at the range and it put a smile on my face that day. I went out and purchased the pistol (GLOCK MODEL 20 in 10mm) the next day and went back a week later and picked up it's little brother (sub-compact) in the model 29. Now I carry both as CCW tools and load my own ammo as well for practice at my gunclub. I generally load 180 grain in the model 20 and 165 grain in the model 29, to help make up for lost velocity in the shorter barrel.
Last edited by TONK on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tonk: Do you carry handloads on the street for concealed carry?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TONK

Post by TONK »

No Rick I do not sir! :D
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by M_D »

If you are having problems with the brass being ejected too far with the 10mm and especially hot 10mm loads, you should try getting a flat bottom firing stop plate fitted to the gun. It does make the slide harder to rack unless the hammer is pre-cocked, but it slows the slide down and thus the brass doesn't get fling so far. I would do that first, and then evaluate whether you need a stronger recoil spring.

My heavy loads are Hornaday XTP 155 grain at 1540 fps and XTP 180 grain at 1375 fps for the 10mm.
Rick in Oregon wrote:Tonk: Do you carry handloads on the street for concealed carry?
I do, I trust my meticulously loaded defense ammo more than the factory loads.
brokeasajoke
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem VSSF II .204 VX-III 8.5-25 side focus tgt dot

Post by brokeasajoke »

While I dont have a 10 myself a guy at work has one. He brought it to our concealed carry shooting practical and showed everyone up. That Glock in his hands is wicked accurate. Most of his was in the center ring on the target. I have a springfield xd subcomp in 40 and it is very jumpy couldnt imagine it in 10. I think he put some money in his to help it shoot.
TONK

Post by TONK »

Gentlemen the only problem I have ever had with "self-defense" factory ammo, was the Hornady in the 9mm and .380-auto caliber! We had half a box not go Bang in tghe brand new pistols we were using for a test. It only took Hornady a frigging year to remberse me for the ammo with some regular ammo. I told them I didn't want the their self-defense ammo period.
TONK

Post by TONK »

Mike I now have heavier springs in both my GLOCK 10mm handguns that I carry on the street! I also have the connector installed too, this lightens up the trigger pull to a crisp 3.5 pounds. It does make a difference trust me. :D 8)

Now for those that do NOT realize, having your own HANDLOADED AMMO in a CCW gun and then having to defend yourself in a mugging etc. This can lead to a civil suit by relatives and so on, which can have their lawyer make YOU out as some kind of GUN NUT to a jury in a trial case. Now that was explained to me in both my CCW class and buy several attorney's understand. So for what it is worth, I'll continue to use a "self-defense" type ammo in all 3 of my GLOCK CCW tools on the street. ;)
M_D
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by M_D »

TONK wrote:.............................Now for those that do NOT realize, having your own HANDLOADED AMMO in a CCW gun and then having to defend yourself in a mugging etc. This can lead to a civil suit by relatives and so on, which can have their lawyer make YOU out as some kind of GUN NUT to a jury in a trial case. Now that was explained to me in both my CCW class and buy several attorney's understand. So for what it is worth, I'll continue to use a "self-defense" type ammo in all 3 of my GLOCK CCW tools on the street. ;)
I have heard those kinds of arguments, I don't agree with them though, and I wouldn't expect for them to be an obstacle for a good defense attorney. If they were able to determine you were using hand loads, they will just as easily determine you were using "self defense" ammo, which is made to stop/kill people. They could try to leverage that in their favor just as well. Many people who are armed and could potentially use their weapons for protection also have a considerable collection of firearms and quite likely reloading equipment, and may have taken firearms courses and/or shoot a lot. Those things could also be used to paint such a person as a "gun nut."
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Sounds like a logical thoughout conclusion, unfortunately, a court room is everything but..., IMO.