10 mm

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Re: 10 mm

Post by Valar »

I too recently took the conceled carry class. I reload as well for my rifles for the improved accuracy! They do not recomend you reload for personall carry. They teach every bullet has twenty lawyers attached to it! They do recomend personal defense amo, aka Hollow points. The reason being less chance of bullet passing threw target and taking out a inocent bystander! Jacketed target bullets often pass threw walls and people into things they should not! :wall:
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

Now I load Winchester, Federal or Remington hollow points, each one of those is backed up with a FMJ bullet, just in case the bad guy is shooting from a car etc or wearing heavy thick clothing (like bullet vest) that most hollow points will not penetrate. :D
Thank a VET for your Freedom!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

A few years ago, I picked up some of the "I Q Ammunition" before it was removed from normal sales...

I wish some had been produced in 10mm...I have some in 9mm and .45acp...Supposedly it changes to accommodate the hardness of what it is impacting... Hard cover vs soft body tissue...As I understand it, it was removed at the behest of LEOs due to it's ability to penetrate body armor...
AR
Factory/Factory
TONK

Post by TONK »

M.D. I can only say that to modify my Glock model 20 for me to shoot is a good thing to do period! I am almost 70 years old, have arthritis in both hands and those 6 and 7 pound trigger pulls are not to my liking, as I can not pull them and stay on target. The 10mm magnum in the Glock is the best "self-defense" weapon out there. Yes, I have the Kimbers,
Colts, Sigs, Smith & Wesson, Para-Ordin., Springfields and several others but my CCW pistol of choice is the Glock model 20 or 29 (a sub-comapct 10mm mag)

Now looking at the power of the model 20 Glock 10mm mag, one see's right off that this is not a "Johnny come lately" in a poly hand gun! The recoil of this pistol is no more than any other .45acp on the market today. Power wise your looking at a 165 grn bullet, with a velocity of 1400fps or the 180 grn weight at 1350fps. A 200 grn weight is available from Double Tap Ammo Co. that chruns up 1250fps. Now the first 2 bullet weights turn out over 750 foot pounds of Kinetic Energy at the muzzle. This is getting real close to what a .41 magnum revolver gives out in numbers Gents.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

TONK...Have you tied the GEN-4 Glocks? I've heard they further reduce the recoil. A few yers back I shot some USGI TZZ-85 230gr FMJ ammo in a Glock (Model 36 I believe(sub-compact)) and it didn't recoil anymore than the full size models.

JIm
TONK

Post by TONK »

Jim White, no sir I have not to date! I have 3 model 20 Glock 10mm pistols and 1 that is a model 29 compact. I also have a full size 45 acp in the Glock too. I wasn't planning on purchasing a Gen. 4 because I have already got them shooting like I want and the new barrels make them terrific shooting target groups. One can only have so many pistols and according to my wife I could outfit a whole army platoon. :wink:

I recently purchased some Federal ammo self-defense loads for my Glock 10mm and I was very saddened to see that they only have a velocity of 1030fps with 180 grn HP bullets, with only 425 pounds of "knock-down power". My wife's .40cal using Power R Ball ammo and 140 grn bullet weight delivers 535-lbs of knock down power. Yes, I think Federal ammo missed the boat by a city block on this particular load for the 10mm Mag. :lol: :doh:
Last edited by TONK on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

My 10mm is a S&W 1006 and I really like it. The 10mm is a heck of a round, far better than a 40 or 45 ACP, IMO. Unfortunately though, loaded 10mm ammo isn't laying around too much these days around here. Components aren't a problem though except from time-to-time the brass availability can be spotty.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim, my son who's the LE Mgr for Glock here in the west, tells me that the Glock 10mm is really gaining favor up in AK as a carry alternative to an N-Frame Smith for bears, as it's got the power of a .41 Mag, more rounds in the mag, and lighter/smaller to boot. Seems logical to me.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Ordinarly, I would already have a Glock 10mm but since I reload the cartridge I have avoided them. Glocks have a unsupported chamber and when cases are run through them they leave a small bulge at the base of the cartridge. I've shot about every caliber Glock makes at one time or another and with the exception to the 9mm (to a lesser degree) they all leave that bulge and for that reason I don't reload for those. WRT Glock's performance, there is no equal IMO.

Jim
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

Jim, I'd have to agree with you to a point...I used to own seven Glocks and shot nine of the GSSF matches for several years...I have several .40s and 10mms and keep my brass separated by firearm, just for the reason you stated...I have a .40 Ed Brown match barrel in my Para Ord P16/40 LTD (also a 10mm conversion for it) and I have to use the barrel as a check gauge for my reloads...Those that won't fit in the EB barrel chamber are relegated to my Walther P99 or Glock, as they have a slightly looser chamber..

I do reload for Glocks, for as many practice rounds as I used to go through, it was a necessity and have never had a problem as long as I stayed with copper jacketed/washed bullets and a fast burning powder.. Normally, I can get 4-5 reloads from the brass that has been fired in the Glocks...
AR
Factory/Factory
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

I have plenty of 40 & 9mm cases I could try and WRT Glocks, I always use jacketed or plated pills in a factory barrel. If it was say a Lonewolf with STD rifling I might try lead but not on their ploy rifleed factory units.

Jim
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I too was recomended to not use my own hand loads for concelled carry in my class. Lawyer are blood suckers and every bullet has ten lawyers attached to it! I am starting to hanload for target shooting .
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

A cheap Lee TC mold, bullets sized to .401 pushed with 6 grains of Unique makes for cheap fun and practice in my Delta Elite. Alloy of clip-on wheel weights with about 20 percent soft lead with a touch of tin leave no lead behind. Lubed with White Label Carb. Red....Just for any casters out there.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424