Colt: A fair deal?

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Colt: A fair deal?

Post by Critter »

A friend of mine wanted a .45 Auto, and I've always wanted a Colt Python.

So after much negotiation (begging and pleading on my part), I got him to consent to a trade.

On my part the following.

Glock Model 21, with:

drop in action modification kit which reduces trigger pull to reasonable level

High visibility after market fixed combat sights

Long combat style magazine and slide release

4 13 round drop free magazines.

On his part:

Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum Revolver in unfired condition.

I will add that this breaks up a complete set (barrel lengths) that he had, and that when I trade, I like to be on the high dollar side of the deal (Giving more than I receive.)

Did I do right by him?
Last edited by Critter on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Colt: A fair deal?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave, I'd say you came away on top. Glocks, even ones with some mods are a dime a dozen, but finding a nice Python is truly a very nice find, as there's just not that many nice ones that come available on a regular basis.

Congrats on the nice new toy. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

If he's happy with the trade, all should be well. You came out waaaaay ahead on that deal.
ImageImage
Critter

Post by Critter »

Frankly, I am a bit sad to hear that.

But on the other hand I do have a new Python.

:?
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Critter, I'd say that you did come out ahead on the deal but if he's happy then enjoy your good fortune (or send the Colt to me and I'll enjoy your good fortune for you!) :eek: :lol: Gary
Ethan
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by Ethan »

You should be ashamed of yourself. Taking advantage like that. To make you feel better I will trade you my Gen 1 Glock 22 and two mags. You will then feel good about yourself giving more then you receive. I will grudgingly accept your Python.
Critter

Post by Critter »

Ethan wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself. Taking advantage like that. To make you feel better I will trade you my Gen 1 Glock 22 and two mags. You will then feel good about yourself giving more then you receive. I will grudgingly accept your Python.
What is your mailing address? I will mail it as soon as perdition freezes over. Any qwestions? :wink:
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I agree with Rick, nice Python's don't come around too often.

Enjoy,
Critter

Post by Critter »

I looked at firearms america or some such and NIB Colts are now worth around $1500, so he doesn't know it yet, but he gets a choice of either a USO SN-12 with Circle/Chevron USMC reticle or ST-10 EREK ERGO LIT DOE Mk2 Reticle, that I have in stock. Best Price for Model 21 is around $600 at the same source. Thanks all for the help, thats why I was checking. I had no idea, but it seems if something is no longer made the price goes up.

All he has is VX-2s and this will put a military grade scope on his AR. That ST-10 as configured retails for around $1500, so it will fit my normal trading practice. The SN-12 is around $950, so it also fits the criteria.
Ethan
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by Ethan »

Critter wrote:
Ethan wrote:You should be ashamed of yourself. Taking advantage like that. To make you feel better I will trade you my Gen 1 Glock 22 and two mags. You will then feel good about yourself giving more then you receive. I will grudgingly accept your Python.
What is your mailing address? I will mail it as soon as perdition freezes over. Any qwestions? :wink:
PM with my address inbound.

:wink:
Critter

Post by Critter »

Well, got to fire the Colt this week end.

Loaded up a couple of hundred .38 Spl 125 gr Montana Gold HP with Winchester 231 and small pistol standard primers for a MV of about 950 fps. This give about half the energy 70% of the energy of the typical .45 ACP with FMJ. Not too bad for a light target round.

Now about that Colt. I have always owned and shot SMITHs and have never even tried a colt.

I have this to say about that. Out of the box with my handloads, the thing is smooth as a baby's bottom. Very accurate with practice loads at 15 yards. Worth every penny of the asking price.

Friend was very happy with his USO scope.

PS: Next thing is 146 Speer Lead HP SWC half jackets with 296 and cci 550s for "hunting loads."
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave, when you finally get out into the field with your new Colt, and as you've been shooting Smith's for years, try to remember that the Colt cylinder rotates in the opposite direction than the Smith. I'm sure you've noticed it by now, but it's just something to keep in mind when you're an old "Smith shooter". Never know when the issue could come to light in the field unintentionally.

For a hunting load, try the hard cast Keith 150 or 170gr bullet over Unique. Cheap, accurate, will penetrate a deer fully almost every time from any reasonable handgun range. Zero barrel leading too with Lyman No. 2 Alloy and any good lube like Rooster Red or Javlina.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Dave, when you finally get out into the field with your new Colt, and as you've been shooting Smith's for years, try to remember that the Colt cylinder rotates in the opposite direction than the Smith. I'm sure you've noticed it by now, but it's just something to keep in mind when you're an old "Smith shooter". Never know when the issue could come to light in the field unintentionally.

For a hunting load, try the hard cast Keith 150 or 170gr bullet over Unique. Cheap, accurate, will penetrate a deer fully almost every time from any reasonable handgun range. Zero barrel leading too with Lyman No. 2 Alloy and any good lube like Rooster Red or Javlina.

Rick's advice is usually right on :) , but I think he forgot that Colts have very short cylinders, and might not chamber those long Keith cast bullets in .357 cases :mad: . In the case of Pythons, and Smith 27s and 28s, you have to use a short-nosed semiwadcutter, or the load will protrude from the front of the cylinder. A minor point, but trying to save you some grief there.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

+1
Rick in Oregon wrote:Dave, I'd say you came away on top. Glocks, even ones with some mods are a dime a dozen, but finding a nice Python is truly a very nice find, as there's just not that many nice ones that come available on a regular basis.

Congrats on the nice new toy. :D
Very nice deal for you. I scored one a couple years ago, timing is everything. The Trooper III is not too bad if a guy bumps into one. Still trying to talk a fellow out of one of those.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Critter,

The python has a lot of delicate small parts that must all work together for that supper feeling. Not a bad thing but like a really good clock it should be respected. It should shoot for a lifetime but if it does need some work, unless you are really comfortable with what you will find inside, get a good gunsmith. No matter what you got a really good gun at a really good price. They still make glocks.