I need to stay home more often.... (not a Ruger)

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Bayou City Boy

I need to stay home more often.... (not a Ruger)

Post by Bayou City Boy »

....and stay out of gun shops for awhile.

Since I am limited in outdoor activities until my left hand gets healed up, I've been hitting a few of the local gun shops too frequently lately. One of them has been getting an influx of S&W revolvers in excellent condition in on trade. Last week it was a Model 34 Kit gun that caught my eye, and today its a Model 657 in 41 Rem Mag.

Probably pushing 20 years ago I was paying for two college educations for my sons and had an active daughter in HS, and someone needed money. So...I parted with both a Model 57 and a Model 657 that had both been shot a bunch to fund whatever.

Since then I've kept my eyes kinda' open for a good replacement, and yesterday they landed on this Model 657.... One good thing I did back then was to hang onto dies, brass, and @ 500 bullets for the 41 Mag. They are coming out of retirement today and they are going to be put to good use. I shoot a revolver right handed, so this one isn't going to require a Dr.'s approval to do it.

-BCB
Last edited by Bayou City Boy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: I need to stay home more often.... (not a Ruger)

Post by Glen »

Nice looking revolver BCB.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hal -

Congrats on another nice find. You're on a roll, bud! ;) Nice lookin' Smith.

This illustrates exactly why, during my healing-up period I stayed in my gunroom prepping and loading every case in there for spring rat and chuck season. It's dangerous and expensive to venture forth with time on ones hands and plastic in the pocket! :eek: (But oh the FUN!)

Seriously though, glad you found a replacement for a long-gone 'friend'. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

BCB nice looking S&W! I've been in the Houston area a time or two for work and I always try to visit a gun shop as your shops put the shop up here in Oregon to shame. If I lived there I'd be gun poor for sure! :lol: Gary
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Captqc wrote:BCB nice looking S&W! I've been in the Houston area a time or two for work and I always try to visit a gun shop as your shops put the shop up here in Oregon to shame. If I lived there I'd be gun poor for sure! :lol: Gary
Let me know when you're coming next time, and we'll hit a few of the big name-brand places as well as several really nice local establishments designed to rid you of your money but still send you out the door smiling.

Please don't tell me you'll be here next week, however, as I really need to get back on my 7-Step Firearm Rejection Recovery Program. Fortunately the program isn't a permanent cure, and it can be rescinded by simply looking into a display counter.. :wink:

And we'll lighten you up with some good Cajun food while you're here... :lol:

-BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

BCB...I had a Model 57 with recessed cylinder, 8 3/8 barrel that had the nicest looking blued job I had ever seen. Wish I had her back but I let it go to fund one of my trips to Camp Perry in the mid-90's. It was either that or the 629 classic hunter (unfluted cylinder) and I figured the 44 would do everything a 41 would and then some, so I kept the 44.

Nice find...
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

Jim White wrote:BCB...I had a Model 57 with recessed cylinder, 8 3/8 barrel that had the nicest looking blued job I had ever seen. Wish I had her back but I let it go to fund one of my trips to Camp Perry in the mid-90's. It was either that or the 629 classic hunter (unfluted cylinder) and I figured the 44 would do everything a 41 would and then some, so I kept the 44.

Nice find...
Back when I had both, I always liked the 41 Mag over the 44 Mag.

Not too long after I sold both of the 41 mags that I mentioned, I got involved with and fell into a real case of likes for the 45 Colt cartridge in a DA revolver.

I've always had 44 Magnum revolvers in the interim, but I always reach for the 45 Colt when I want a big bore hand gun. My favorite 45 Colt to this day is a 6" Colt Anaconda that I paid $319 for in like new but used condition in the box just after a SHOT Show held in Dallas where it and others like it had been used by writers so they could handle and shoot the new Colt DA revolver.

I guess it just was time to get back to the 41 Mag. I loaded up 50 rounds last night to shoot today, but the big winter storm is even affecting us here along the Texas Gulf Coast. Right now (2:30 PM) it is 35 degrees with gusty 30+ MPH winds, and tonight it's supposed to get down into the low 20's. Shooting it can wait for a few days until winter is over.... wink

Yesterday it was 78 degrees here...

-BCB
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

BCB...When it came to shooting I preferred the 41 to the 44 and I was younger. Never tried to may 45 Long Colts but I have shot the 454 Casull and to tell ya the truth, I don't think I hate myself enough to shoot that particular one again. The main reason I held onto the 44 over the 41 was the 44 could generate enough energy to hunt elk with a hand gun (yea, it sounds far fetched but where I was it was so thick you could definetly get close enough to use one) where as a 41 wouldn't. Otherwise I'd of kept the 41.

Be carefull of theose temp swings, that will get you under the weather pretty quick.
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

The 45 Colt can be loaded very mild or you can crank it up where it's in the 44 Mag range for power and not be pushing it with pressure. And recoil with stiff loads is about like a 44. Not bad at all.

On the weather: Right now (9:35 AM) its 19 degrees in Houston..... That is DANG cold for down here. There's still a good breeze 7-10 MPH with light clouds.

I know its nothing like some of you are experiencing, but 19 degrees and the relatively high humidity typical of the Gulf Coast area can make it very chilly in comparison. For those of you in drier climates, think of it as feeling somewhat like it being cold outside and you having slightly damp clothes on, in comparison to cold and low humidity.

(This weather analysis coming from someone who spent part of my younger life growing up in NE Wyoming with the winter cold and almost zilch humidity. It got cold, but it was a dry cold....LOL!!)

We were fortunate to not have any rain with this, or ice would be thick on everything this AM and electrical power would definitely be an issue. its probalby been over 10 years since we had a good ice storm down here.

-BCB
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

BCB
I agree with the 45Colt.I have worked up loads to 44 Mag specs with hard cast bullets (255s),out of a Tarus Raging BULL 6 HOLE 45 colt,(discontinued).It is the same gun as the 454 CASULL,WITH THE DIFFERENT CYLINDER.The muzzle brake and grips,tame that gun down,where it is pleasant to shoot.