Ruger's new 1911 is on it's way

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Ruger's new 1911 is on it's way

Post by glenn asher »

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forum ... tid=145112

Why not? They've done the castings for Caspian Arms for a very long time, and there are a lot of other cast 1911s out there, too.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Re: Ruger's new 1911 is on it's way

Post by sixshooter »

This is a question for you real .45 ACP shooters. My life has been spent with a 6 gun and I can hit the ground with it but I have had friends that swore by there 1911's. My old friend had a collection and I shot them once in a while but they were a different thing. They were all world war II guns and of unusual manufacture. GM, Ford, Singer, Pfaff and such. He said it would be tough to get them to be real shooters.

My question is probably not quantifiable but give it your best shot if you would. Assume that I can shoot a 3" group at 25 yards with my favorite load in my .357 off a bag. Can I expect the same from the new Ruger or will it increase or decrease with me shooting it. If I can shoot a 3" group with the Ruger will it decrease if I get a Kimber.

My question is not about brand bashing or hype. I'm just curious what I could really expect?
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

With reloads? If so, you should be able to substantially shoot smaller than 3" groups off a bench with a Kimber.

With my 100% factory Taurus PT1911 at 25 yards I can hold 8 shots under 3.25" consistently offhand shooting 200gr LSWC bullets reloaded with Bullseye powder. With better sights I know I could do better. I am not an experienced handgun shooter and I would bet that you could out shoot me.

1" or less at 25 yards off the bench is the "golden standard" for custom 1911 models. I think that 1.5" for the rest of the factory 1911's would be a solid average with target loads. Using cheap "bulk" ball ammo will significantly increase the groups.

Just my opinion.
sixshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger number 1

Post by sixshooter »

Thanks Trent. That was exactly what I was curious about. Have you actually seen the ruger and if so what was your opinion?
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

sixshooter wrote:Thanks Trent. That was exactly what I was curious about. Have you actually seen the ruger and if so what was your opinion?
I shot one a month or two ago. A gentleman had just bought it that day and brought it out to "break it in". It shot very nicely and from outward appearances it seemed very well made. Fit and finish was tight, and the wood grips were nice. I was impressed with it. I think the Taurus, and now the Ruger, are great values. They are priced right and you get a great gun for your money.