New carry piece and first 1911

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
bullfrog
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 MarkII All Weather Ultralight

New carry piece and first 1911

Post by bullfrog »

I landed a job just blocks from the Nosler headquarters, and well I don't think I'll make any money on this one. On day one I stopped by after getting the crew started and did pretty good. Walked away with $80 worth of bullets. But I couldn't help staring at the little ultra carry in the glass case. I have been wanting to get a bigger carry piece for a while as my normal carry is a .38 special. I considered various options, but wanted to go with a .45 because that is what my bedroom gun is and I like to stick with calibers so I can easily stock ammo. So for centerfire pistols I am sticking with 38/357 and 45. Just seems nice and streamlined to me. I am sure I will stray from that philosophy at some point, but probably not for a long time.
Anyhow, I stopped by the pro shop a couple of days later and decided to fondle the little 1911 for a few minutes. Big shock, I couldn't let go of it. It had a little nick on it just forward of the trigger guard, so I got them to knock off $50, but it doesn't bother me since I am sure I will do worse carrying it and shooting the snot out of it. So far I have only put 100 rounds of 230 ball through it, but I will get back out soon and continue to break it in. This is my first 1911 and first kimber, and I really am delighted at how fun and easy it is to shoot. The trigger is sweet! I thought the recoil would be worse, but it's really manageable and just plain fun.
Anybody have any advise on an iwb holster? Laser grips will come at some point also.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: New carry piece and first 1911

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jeremy: Nice score there buddy! See how dangerous it is being in proximity to the Nosler Pro Shop? :lol: Seriously, congratulations on a very nice pistol; I know you'll have a strong bond with that baby.

As for IWB holster suggestions, the one and only very best of the lot is the Milt Sparks Versamax II. If you cruise the CCW sites, it will quickly become clear this is the choice of professionals and those who have done their homework. Not cheap, takes a while to get one after ordering, but it's worth the wait, believe me, and is the most comfortable carry holster I've ever owned, and allows instant access to the weapon when needed.

http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm

Here's my Kimber Ultra Carry .45 in mine:

Enjoy the new rig.....you did GOOD! :mrgreen:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Bullfrog, That's a nice Kimber but I fear that you are out of control!!! :eek: I recommend that you turn the Kimber over to me at once! :lol: I'll be in Bend on Thursday so call me and I'll pick it up. By the way CDNN has laser grips for $199 right now. :D Gary
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Rick, Thanks. This was impulsive, but also very calculated. I knew this was my next piece, just probably should have waited til the bank account agreed. I did look at the cdp, but nosler didn't have one and the plain stainless version fit my budget..sort of and I would rather buy from the proshop than a bigger store in town. Oh well, now I have some motivation to keep my nose to the grind stone to pay this thing off. Thanks for the suggestion on the holster. Coming from you, it's all the suggestion I need. I will definately order one, but looks like I will need a cheapy for the time being since there is about a 30 week wait!

Gary, not sure if your for me or against me ;) You offer to help me with my disease, but then you tell me where to get a good deal on laser grips. Good thing I have an understanding wife!
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Post by huntsman22 »

It's easier to get forgiveness, than permission....
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jeremy: Assuming Captqc doesn't weasel you out of your new pistol, I remembered another tiny tidbit of good info on the Milt Sparks Versamax II IWB holster you may be interested in:

If you wear Wrangler jeans, the spacing of the "Uncle Milty" holster loops is absolutely perfect for Wrangler belt loops. The photo above of mine was taken with me wearing Levi's. With Wranglers, the leather holster loops are placed directly alongside/inside the belt loops on the jeans, offering complete support for the draw. It's almost like they used Wranglers for their belt loop spacing.....maybe they did. :chin:

As you live in Central Oregon......I'm assuming you wear Wranglers too. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Gary, not sure if your for me or against me ;) You offer to help me with my disease, but then you tell me where to get a good deal on laser grips. Good thing I have an understanding wife![/quote]

Both! :D This is a win-win no matter how you look at it! :lol: Either I get your Kimber and by doing so help break your addiction or You get the laser grips you want for a really good price! See, win-win :wink: Gary
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I'll have to check out those holsters, Rick. Thanks for the link because a good holster is hard to find.

Jim
bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

huntsman22 wrote:It's easier to get forgiveness, than permission....
Wise words I live by. Although, wife doesn't even know about this yet. She is losing count, and I don't think really cares as long I treat her right. :wink:

Rick, I traded my wranglers in years ago for carharts. Guess I will have to see how they work.

Gary, I have officially hidden my Kimber. So if you are going through Sisters, well... just pass on through buddy. Unless you want to sell me something again. It appears I've lost all self control.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

I couldn't resist adding a photo of the Kimber I bought this morning. I use to be heavily into 1911's, but over the years have sold and traded them off for rifles......go figure! :shock:

Here's the new Kimber Custom II, with a pair of grips I already had on hand. I've ordered slim grip bushings and grip screws, along with a pair of Cocobolo slim grips, from Brownells.

This is a photo of my other 1911, a Springfield Lightweight Loaded, which has been to the Springfield custom shop, and the slide is done in Black T.

PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Vartarg: Congratulations on the new Kimber 1911! :D

That's also a very nice Springfield 1911. A man can't have too many .45's.....good to be back in the saddle again, eh?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

bullfrog

Post by bullfrog »

Sweet rigs. One for each hand. Seems like a guy should have one for each hand doesn't it...hmmmm... :idea:
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

Love those grips!! Might have to find me some of those. My dad was a USN Corpsman in-country with the Marines from 68-70 I believe. He was one of the VERY few enlisted Navy guys you'd see dressed in Marine BDUs. After all these years we (family) finally convinced him to go get checked out for PTSD.

I spent 6 years in the Navy myself, and my younger brother more recently. I guess it runs in the Oregon blood!