Kimber Solo 9mm........

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Keith in Ga

Kimber Solo 9mm........

Post by Keith in Ga »

has anyone shot, handled, or evaluated this handgun. Don't ask me why, but I have a wild hair about getting a small 9mm semi auto. This is coming from a dyed in the wool 1911 man, .45 cal of course. I have a S&W 642, small .38 cal for a pocket gun, but guess I'm needing to buy a new handgun. I did get to handle a solo, also the small Ruger 9mm, Kahr, and DB 9mm (glock clone). To be honest, the Ruger felt better in my hand, and it's also about half the price of the Kimber. But.......I've never had a bad Kimber pistol either. Any comments.....?
ImageImage
Icabod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: Kimber Solo 9mm........

Post by Icabod »

Got one of the first ones. Two returns to Kimber and finally the replaced it. Had repeated FTE ( case would extract 1/4 inch and slide would jam on the next round) peening on barrel and slide then the slide would not stay locked back. (A gentle shake of the pistol and the slide would go forward) Finally the magazine fell apart ( baseplate came off)
Kimber support was good but didn't explain the problems. The LGS and I are working a trade as I just don't trust it. Given, the new Solo likely will be perfect but.....
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Kimber Solo 9mm........

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Keith: Friends at two well known gunny-related companies both told me they were not impressed with samples provided, especially with the trigger. If you are contemplating one, I'd personally wait at least one year (two better) until all bugs have been worked out. I never buy a car or gun during their first year of production......experience has taught me this lesson.

But in all fairness, Charles Petty gives a glowing report on the Solo in this months Handloader Magazine.....go figure.

If a mini-nine has got you worked up, check out the Springfield EMP......very sweet indeed.

Calm that wild hair and go have some fun with your 204 in the meantime. :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails