Holester for a 1911

Talk about or share information about Ruger handguns.
Clint E
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Holester for a 1911

Post by Clint E »

I am looking for a paddle style holster for a colt 1911. So i am asking for sugestions instead of ordering one and not liking it. I know some of you live in a C.C. state and have found one that is comfortable and works well .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Holester for a 1911

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Clint: Look to the top makers, and don't get lured into a "fruit of the loom" nylon junk holster. Good guns deserve good gun leather. Besides, if you carry CCW, you don't want to trust your life to some piece of cwap.

Most professionals I know all use rigs from Milt Sparks in Idaho....time proven gun leather that works. This stuff is not cheap, and usually has to be ordered as they make them one at a time and are considered to be some of the best gun leather available.

My Milt Sparks Versamax II IWB holster with my Kimber 1911 CDP II that is my daily carry rig:

Some other good makers are Mitch Rosen, Alessi, and Galco. Galco probably has the largest selection of any maker out there. Another good source for outside the waistband paddle holsters is El Paso Saddlery....they've made some for me that are also quite good. Just be aware of cheap, flimsy crap offered at Wally World and the like.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Thanks Rick i will check into them. I figured someone would have some good advise.
Buy the way realy cool hand grips.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Clint: Look to the top makers, and don't get lured into a "fruit of the loom" nylon junk holster. Good guns deserve good gun leather. Besides, if you carry CCW, you don't want to trust your life to some piece of cwap.

Most professionals I know all use rigs from Milt Sparks in Idaho....time proven gun leather that works. This stuff is not cheap, and usually has to be ordered as they make them one at a time and are considered to be some of the best gun leather available.

My Milt Sparks Versamax II IWB holster with my Kimber 1911 CDP II that is my daily carry rig:

Some other good makers are Mitch Rosen, Alessi, and Galco. Galco probably has the largest selection of any maker out there. Another good source for outside the waistband paddle holsters is El Paso Saddlery....they've made some for me that are also quite good. Just be aware of cheap, flimsy crap offered at Wally World and the like.

Is it possible/practical to sit with one of these?
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Bangflop
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ target varmint

Post by Bangflop »

Clint, Rick has good advice. Another custom leather crafter is Eric Little, owner of Rafter "L". His shop is in Buffalo, WY. He has a web site I think. I purchased a paddle style for my MP 40 Compact...real quality. Check his work out. I know you won't be disappointed.
Bangflop
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ target varmint

Post by Bangflop »

Clint, Eric Littles web site is combatgunleather.com.
Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Bangflop thanks for the advise i have been so busy i forgot i even made this post.
I did some time back pick up a fobus holster to play with but doesnt suit me for a holster if to CC. I am a little guy dont even have a gut to hide a belt buckle so it will have to fit close to me .
Thanks for the link.
cracker

Post by cracker »

RIO
Just wondering how much Milt Sparks pays you (their best salesman) Just kidding bud. I am waiting for mine to come and chomping at the bit every day. It should be here in June sometime and I hope to have it before attending the Mag 40 Class I am taking in Battle Creek MI. As always your advice is spot on.
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD-Max wrote:Is it possible/practical to sit with one of these?
TDM: No worries, sit, drive, run, jump, skip and hop if wanted....the piece stays put, and the rig offers all-day comfort. There are times during the day I completely forget it's there, it's that comfortable. If positoned just off the hip to the rear, it rides without printing on clothing, and is the "sweet spot" as far as comfort goes. (Do remember though, that I'm using a 3" Ultra Carry .45, and not a full size 5" pistol).
cracker wrote:RIO - Just wondering how much Milt Sparks pays you (their best salesman) Just kidding bud.
Cracker: I wish they had an incentive like that; they could pay me in gun leather. :lol:

When yours arrives, you won't be disappointed, I promise. With a top shelf in my safe full of gun leather, my "Uncle Milty" is my absolute favorite for packing any 1911 .45. It's amazing that you can hide a 3" or 4" .45 on you all day in complete comfort, and still have instant access to your pistol. Their products are of the highest quality and with the most proven, practical designs......very good stuff. Give us your impressions when yours arrives. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Clint E

Post by Clint E »

Clint E

Post by Clint E »

I didn't find a holster i liked at the nra convention but i didnt get to handle a few of these.