22wmr or 17Hmr which do you prefer?

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Re: 22wmr or 17Hmr which do you prefer?

Post by savageboy23 »

Glen wrote:You won't get any additional OOMPH from a 22LR over the 17HMR but I do applaud your decision to go in a different route altogether. Can't wait to see your 10/22 when it's done!! Good Luck with the build & don't forget to post pics!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ill post pics as I go Glen. I have it figured out on paper what I'd like done to it. It has been on the back burner for sometime: as for now I'm waiting on uppers for 2 ar-15 projects.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Cool deal!! Can't wait to see them. Show us your AR's too. We are picture friendly around here. :lol: :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I used a accurate Ruger 10-22 T w/ a Burris 6 X AO target scope for shooting prairie dog pups which provided a lot of shots within 80 yards. I put it into a glass bedded action thumbhole varmint stock . I sited the rifle in at 60 yards so that there was little hold under and over when shooting from 10 to 80 yards when shooting Winchester 22 LR HP PP ammo. I would load four magazines befor getting to the prairie dog towns because there would be a lot of shooting. But after getting 17 HMR and 17 HM2 accurate bolt action rifles the 22 and 22 WMR stay at home when going prairie dog shooting. There are a lot of after market parts available for the Ruger 10-22 rifle which can be read about at www.rimfirecentral.com They are fun rifles to shoot.
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

I am also a member of that forum although I don't frequent it as much as this one. As for the time being I have too many irons in the fire to start my 10/22 project :wall:. After reading the first few posts on this forum I have looked into the .17wsm and am very intrigued and may have to come up with an excuse to buy one :).
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I too am interested in the Winchester 17 Super Mag cartridge. A 20 Gr bullet with a 3000 ft/sec muzzle velocity should be good for shots out to 225-250 yard range for shooting prairie dogs. That is if an accurate rifle is chambered for it.
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

I am one that NEVER had any use for the 22 Mag had several that shot good BUT they were too explosive for Squirrel hunting unless you had a perfect head shot--always liked the Remington 5MM much better.

The 17 HMR is a nice solid cartridge that seems to shoot better than the 22 Mag and had pretty much the same range as the 5MM

Jim