Winchester 17 Super Mag Rimfire

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
tuck2

Winchester 17 Super Mag Rimfire

Post by tuck2 »

I like using the 17 HMR and .204 Ruger rifles for prairie dog shooting but a rimfire round that shoots a .17 Dia 20 Gr bullet at 3000 ft/sec could be a fine round for shooting p dogs out to around 225-250 yard ranges. Should CZ or Ruger make a accurate rifle for the W17SM RF cartridge I ll have to get one.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: Winchester 17 Super Mag Rimfire

Post by Glen »

I'm hoping it's a fun round as well. I need to get on the list at the gun shop ASAP. CZ at this time has no plans & I haven't asked Ruger what their plans are. Savage has a bolt & Win has a Low Wall coming out. A 3rd gun maker has plans on releasing one but I have yet to hear who that is.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

A Win 1885 would be great because with the cost of ammo, I would like to slow down the rate of fire! Don't see this caliber in my near future since I just got a 17 Hornet and still love my HMR for ground squirrels.
K = ½mv2
Hippy

Post by Hippy »

I personally believe we have over exploited the 17 Cal in the recent years.

17 HMR
17 MKII (My Favorite)
17 Fireball (Big FAILURE)
17 Hornet
17 WSM
The WSM may be headed in the Fireball direction as the available of rifles chamber are poor at best--T/C has said NO to chambering it

For the price difference IMHO the BEST two are the Mk II and the Hornet seems to be very little difference in range , accuracy.

Jim
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

There's no WSM in my future, that's for sure, but even though the 17FB was a flop due to the reasons we're all aware of, the caliber will live on for a very long time......most likely in the guise of the .17 Mach IV, that was and is in use by many varmint shooters long before Remington ever figured out their flawed marketing plan for the Fireball.

I was shooting my Sako Vixen Mach IV for almost 20 years before the 17FB ever hit the market, and will be shooting it long after all the factory brass has dried up; a most excellent little caliber.

(But I still love my 20 Vartarg the most! ;) )
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ThaDoubleJ
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FCV

Post by ThaDoubleJ »

Glen wrote: A 3rd gun maker has plans on releasing one but I have yet to hear who that is.
Volquartsen, a semi-auto from what I understand

I think if the round was produced by someone other than Winchester, like CCI, and the Bmag didn't feel like a walmart pellet gun, there could be a future. Bad timing, cheap rifle, questionable ammo = another 5mm mag. Price is right...
Take me to your Pdogs
tuck2

Post by tuck2 »

I have found more info about the 17 WSM B Mag rifle and ammo at http://www.rimfirecentral.com I ll pass on getting a rifle unless Ruger or Sako makes 17 WSM rifle. Some of the Savages new first B Mag actions, barrels and stocks have had defects which have caused the owners to return the rifles to Savage..
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Franklin Armory has an AR out in this caliber now.

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topic/1 ... e-got-one/
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The 17 WSM ammo has been pretty sparse in my area. I have had customers talk about split cases in one of the weights available. Some have not been happy with the accuracy. I have been very disappointed in the quality of the Savage rifles. It is too bad that the popularity of the 17 Fireball has fallen as it is a great round and will always have mine in the ready. I too love the 20 VarTarg a hair more than the 204.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

So why was the 17 Fireball put out in the pasture? I had one that I conveted to a 20VT and the rifles have become quie difficult to find. If its anything like the 20VT, it is one heck of a rat-planter.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Sales drive everything. I think that the 17 FB is more for a specific group, varmint shooters. Reloaders would make up the biggest share so loaded rounds would be low, not making it a manufacturer's need to continue. Perspective rifle buyers see little ammo for it, making it a poor choice. Just go with the 223 / 5.56. You do not see a lot of 204 ammo on the shelves compared to other calibers. I see the Hornet rounds falling into the same situation. We have 17 Hornet rifles at the store I work at but almost no sales. Lesson to learn, buy the brass when it comes back into production to show the manufacturers it will sell and to have some backup if production dwindles. IMHO
Please, no Sidewinder today!