Savage B Mag in 17 wsm

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Re: Savage B Mag in 17 wsm

Post by Valar »

I just bought a savage b mag in 17 wsm this morning. I also think they feel cheap but anxous to try it. I have heard some excellent reveiws? I did see Savage has a factory self imposed recall on this rifle. It seems with downforce before bolt is in close position it grabs the saftey Mechanisum. They are offering new bolt replacement that will solve the issue. I wounder if this is also the closing friction reported? I will soon find out. I am in mandatory 24 hour wait and pick up the gun tomorrow! Bought two boxes of 20 grain winchesters touted at 3000 fps! I will post my results in a week or so after sight in! 17 bucks for a box of 50 , But what ammo is cheap anymore? If the polititions have it there wa it will be 300 a box!
Valar

Post by Valar »

I have my rifle and on further reveiw the horrible bolt close is because the rifle bolt cocks on the downstroke of the bolt! I am reading few pros and many cons. Most that the winchester amo especially 25 grain is very inconsistant. I have not and will not shoot this rifle with the flimsy plastic stock it came with. While, this is a very low recoil rifle this stock doesnt desearve a childs cap gun! My boyds stock will be here Monday I will bed and weather permiting in northern Il. give a full reveiw of the results! I dont beleive half the reveiws and distrust most of the rest! I have seen some that say .6 inch out the box but some that say 1.5 inch at a hundred yrds but flyers due to stock? My turn will be here soon expect scope bye mid week. I might even video the whole mess! I have to beleive done right this cartrage has potential! I see oh the barrel heats up fast! A light barrel at 3000 fps will never not heat up fast! Simple physics! I do not have any 25 grain but have a good supply of 20 , this will be my test round. Incidently, I have no bias to savage as this is the first Savage I have purchased. Time will tell!
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

Good luck, I'm sure you've seen Cavedwellers Youtube video about bedding and accuracy irovement with the Boyds stock.
K = ½mv2
SShooterZ
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint - Savage 12 w/ Custom PacNor 1:11

Post by SShooterZ »

There was one here for sale locally that I had some interest in but the poor reviews steered me away. It's not a need round for me with a 17HMR and 17Fireball in tow, but I hate to see something that can be new and exciting not done very well.

Where in Northern IL are you? I'm in the McHenry area.
Valar

Post by Valar »

Ye ssir, I did see cave dwellers post and I beleive he is correct. However, after tearing this gun down Im curious as to if savage built this in a manner that can handle the pressure of a centerfire velocity round? I bedded the action today and lapped scope rings last night! I am not impressed with how savage did this action , so be it a rimfire! If glass bedding barrel front and rear doesnt work I am going to replace factory estutions with pillars machined on my lathe! I will give it all the benifit of doubt. I had a few issues with boyds stock but over all it is a excellent fit and improvement! It does take a bit of fine fit for factory screws to work.
As to where am I, Aurora sporstmans club in waterman IL. Is where I shoot! Finest range in northern Illinois out to 600 yards!
Check it out!
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I talked to a regular customer that has had his BMag awhile and happy with it. He found that the rifle needs to be kept clean. He then sprays a good coat of Rem Oil in the action after cleaning it and has not had any further problems with it. He had problems with the rifle until he made sure there was lots of oil in the action. Hope this helps.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Valar

Post by Valar »

Yes thank you I use Kroil. In my opinion nothing better. sometimes for heavy ware areas I use a 0-20 synthetic. My optic has shipped so weather permiting will try it out. This is my first savage. I know with my remingtons I always lap a new barrel. I dont know how well savage finishes there barrels out? I kinda wondered if some of the accuracy issues could be copper fouling as well? Im leaving no stones unturned, time will tell. I hope I can make it shoot! I will take target pictures and post my results. The boyds stock gave it a sweet look and feel. I dont think the factory stock would even make decent recycle! I love a nice wood stock! My Remington BDLs have nice ones. Getting priceyer every year though!
Valar

Post by Valar »

I was able to get out about a week ago and zero the bmag. It was rather windy but after zero I shot two five shot groups at 100 yards. Both groups could be covered with a quarter. I used winchester 3000 FPS 20 grain bullets. I am sure in warmer more shoote friendly day I can do a bit better? I had no flyers at all and several were keyholed. I think stock this gun is garbage. However, I paid 249.00 new for gun at rural king, and 120 for boyds stock! Overall, after a bit of work on my part I am happy with this rifle. I wish remington would resurect the old targetmaster action and chamber it in 17 wsm!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

Having "several keyholed' is a bit concerning, is it not? :duh: