17 HMR Which one?

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Re: 17 HMR Which one?

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Right now, finding any 17HMR ammo seems to be the biggest problem, not finding a nice HMR rifle...... :?
There was a time when I did this was doing quite well and therefore after the first term of you know who when ammo supply came back decided to stock up. So I bought five bricks each of premium 22 long rifle and two different manufacturers of 17 HMR. What that meant when the stuff hit the fan again I had a lifetime supply of just about everything including bullets, primers, powder, and rimfire ammunition. In addition, I primary short range varmint capability was vested in the .260 and the 204. The simple reason for buying larger quantity was the issue of having ammunition of the same lots for consistency.

As far as my recommendation for a rifle in .17 HMR, I went with a Cooper for that caliber. This was a decision that put me on squirrels in western Montana and worked really well.

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Critter wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:Right now, finding any 17HMR ammo seems to be the biggest problem, not finding a nice HMR rifle...... :?
There was a time when I did this was doing quite well and therefore after the first term of you know who when ammo supply came back decided to stock up. So I bought five bricks each of premium 22 long rifle and two different manufacturers of 17 HMR. What that meant when the stuff hit the fan again I had a lifetime supply of just about everything including bullets, primers, powder, and rimfire ammunition. In addition, I primary short range varmint capability was vested in the .260 and the 204. The simple reason for buying larger quantity was the issue of having ammunition of the same lots for consistency.

As far as my recommendation for a rifle in .17 HMR, I went with a Cooper for that caliber. This was a decision that put me on squirrels in western Montana and worked really well.

Your wise choice too do so was a good one, I believe ;) And now looking forward, with Clinton going to be in the White House ( same nuts that voted Obama in twice will put her there) so she can be the first woman :roll: We all had better stock up on things we will need or want within the next few years. Just a thought folks. Bill K :)
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Here is that Cooper in 17 HMR. My recollection now is that the host farmers required rim fire rifles to shoot on their property. Those little squirrels were ranges from 20 yards to about 150 or more. The 1.8 – 14 power scope was probably a little overkill but worked fine at the longer ranges. Had the factory makeup special the picitinny rails for the Cooper.