Acceptible .17hmr accuracy??

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
kWm
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint

Re: Acceptible .17hmr accuracy??

Post by kWm »

So with you guys experience if im getting a flier or two almost every 5shot group, with todays ammumition would your guess be that its the ammo? The gun? Or the nut behind the butt? I shot a couple groups at 60yrds yesterday both were the typical 1" but one of them 4 shots were all one ragged bug hole and then one flew close to an inch left. The other group i had two touching, two others touching approximately 1/2" left and one random one group total just under an inch. Id like to post pics but when i try uploading it says cant open file. I cant imagine the ammo is poor enough to have that many fliers but its odd how alot of the groups iv been shooting ill stack several of the shots then have same technique and trigger pull and one or two go to who knows where.......
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

If you have tried a few brands and also maybe, measured and sorted the rim thickness, etc. Which ever brand and group does the best, just go with it. As you say most of your hits group, with the one flyer. Don't sweat it and chase your tail, sort of saying, enjoy the rifle and the occasional miss, just show you are hunting. The old saying "If you don't miss, then you are not hunting" would be pretty much in order here. Bill K
kWm
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint

Post by kWm »

Sounds like good advice Bill K. Iv read alot on rimfire central too and guys on there r saying with the hmr you are always chasing your tail because no match ammo is made and the same load that may shoot half moa with no fliers with one lot may not shoot nearly as consistant with the next lot you buy. At the mercy of the quality control of manufacturer. Guys said that when the hmr came out it was not hard at all to shoot bug holes and the ammo has deteriorated in quality over time.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

Was worse under the last administration days,as i call it the ammo prohibition days.they just did a hasty job makin ammo.lots of rimfire was worthless for accuracy
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Try different manufacturers of ammunition. Some shoot better in specific guns than others. If you find one that works, buy as much of that LOT you will need and/or afford.

HTH
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

im having good luck with cci,hornady and winchester all 17 grain in my savage 93 f accura trigger bull barrel.its wearing a cheep scope too nite force or something like that $40. i was out of scopes when i got my savage so lgs had these on sale n they mounted it free n bore sited it.said they were standing up well too so who knows might last optics are fine picks up in low light too
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

robert w. wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 am its wearing a cheep scope too nite force or something like that $40. i was out of scopes when i got my savage so lgs had these on sale n they mounted it free n bore sited it.said they were standing up well too so who knows might last optics are fine picks up in low light too
Robert: A Nightforce scope for $40???

If that's true (and it absolutely can't be!), virtually everyone here will want to know exactly where that LGS is located! Better check your scope brand there, buddy! :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Boy, let me and others know where, at $40.00 for a Nightforce scope, Think they would have a run, each of us would probably buy at least four. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

i said name was like nite force had to go get it as i dont remember every detail it says nite sterling.go back n read my post again.i didnt say it was specificly nite force
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I think we knew that, You would never see a actual night force marked down that much. Believe we were only adding a little humor to the post. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

I also have a waever scope made in tiawan,its on a cheep chinese pellet rifle.