Bill K, shot my 117 hmr long range

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Bill K, shot my 117 hmr long range

Post by robert w. »

Yesterday was cold and very still. Was bored so i got my 17 hmr out. My neighbor worked his field up n left big clods of earth. Perfect for seeing how far it shoots.
I used fence posts as a rough distance range figuring they are 12 feet apart.
It hit clods with authority at 200 yards shooting winchester varmit 17 grain and hornady v max 17 grain. But after 220 yards it started dropping,but still tore the clods up. 250 yards she dropped a good foot but still busted the frozen clods up.
I stomped on a few and my 220 pounds didnt bust them.
I quit for a few minutes n a couple crows lit at 200 yards BANG 1 fell 1 flew.
That 17 hmr is showing to be a nice populated area varmin caliber.
More i shoot the rifle , the more i like it.
robert w.

Re: Bill K, shot my 117 hmr long range

Post by robert w. »

Pardon my keyboard booboo .its 17 hmr not 117 hmr.
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Bill K nice shooting. My 17 HMR likes the 20 grain Hornady. Let a friend use my to control goose problem on a golf course. It is a Ruger 77/22 that I re-barreled with a.920 Green mtn barrel. Wears a 6.5 /20/ 50 Leupold w/ mil-dot retical. Using the mil-dot and some kentucky windage, was hitting geese on a pond on the golf courses property at 325 yards. He did more than once, so it wasn't just a lucky shot. I had to pry the rifle out of his hands to get it back. (just kidding). He asked me is there any rifle you have that doesn't shoot! I said no all have their pet loads.

Enjoy your 17HMR

Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Robert: It's amazing what an astute fellow can do with a 17MHR once you've grown used to the rifle and it becomes an extension of your body. This is one sweet shooting Rimfire caliber.

My Anschutz 1517D HB one morning out for a stroll through the sage and junipers, looking at each rock pile for our buddy "Rocky". All were taken with the 17gr V-Max at ranges just past 200 yards. Head shots are required, as any so-so body shot will result in crawl-offs, and we don't want any of that.

When I don't want to really get serious and not have to reload, the little 17HMR is just the ticket! :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

robert w.

Post by robert w. »

it is a fine caliber for fun n accuracy.what i like best my savage shoots cci best and they aare cheepest priced round at local walmart.i stocked up a big supply too.
hoping this summer i get to go p.d.hunting.got 1000 rounds 204r loaded 500 22 hornet 600 22-250 and 1500 17 hmr rounds.that should work some dogs over.