Ruger Single Six LR Cylinder

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
hozz57

Ruger Single Six LR Cylinder

Post by hozz57 »

Is it OK to shoot long rifle ammo out of a magnum cylinder in the Single Six? I just acquired a used piece that doesn't have a LR cylinder.
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Ruger Single Six LR Cylinder

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hozz: No, it's not okay. The rim diameter is different on 22WMR (larger) than 22LR ammo, that's why two cylinders are supplied on convertable revolvers. If a 22LR is fired, it may likely rupture the case rim, cause escaping gas, could injure the shooter, and do the revolver no good at all.

You should be able to find a 22LR cylinder for the gun if you look around.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:hozz: No, it's not okay. The rim diameter is different on 22WMR (larger) than 22LR ammo, that's why two cylinders are supplied on convertable revolvers. If a 22LR is fired, it may likely rupture the case rim, cause escaping gas, could injure the shooter, and do the revolver no good at all.

You should be able to find a 22LR cylinder for the gun if you look around.

And now there is a version that has both .17mach2 and .17HMR cylinders available for it that I have my eye on, if I could find a decent optic to put on it????
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dave: Sounds like you're contemplating setting yourself up with a new IPDW eh? (Of course you remember that's our acronym for "Internal Perimiter Defense Weapon").

You may have to lower your standards and put a Leupold EER Pistol Scope on it....now would THAT ever shock your buddies! At last check, I didn't see USO in the EER market...... :lol: There's always a host of red dots and Holo sights available....... More than a few squirrels have gone to the Great Alfalfa Patch in the Sky via my old Ruger MK-I and Leupold/Gilmore Red Dot setup.

And if you like traditional 'cross-hair' scopes with decent magnification, there's always the EER lineup. This is one of their 4X units on my S&W Model 648 6" in 22WMR. Skippy is not safe inside 150 yards when this puppy is in the front seat of the truck or on my bench.

Let us know what you end up doing if you get the convertable revolver in .17 Cal...... :?:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

Thanks for the info Rick, I like shootin' them magnums but they are a little to pricey for plinking. I'll keep on looking for a LR cylinder for it. So far the only place I've seen them is Ruger and they want me to send the piece in after waiting 60 days due to a backlog of repairs...I'd rather have one sent to me and let my smith install it unless it falls right in.

Critter, I did see that they are selling .17 cal cylinders and barrels at Midway USA, but I would like to stick with .22 mainly because of the cost of ammo.

Rick, I was looking for one of those Leupy/gilmores to put on my Ruger MKIII but it seems they aren't selling them anymore :cry:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hozz: You can still get the Leupold/Gilmore red dot sights, as Gilmore Sports still makes and sells them under license from Leupold. Their website is currently being rebuilt, but they have complete contact information there if you are interested. These sights are priced very reasonable, and are available in various MOA dot sizes for either precision or fast target acquisition/speed shooting.

http://www.gilmoresports.com/

If/when you get that LR cylinder for your Ruger, you WILL want to have your smith install it the first time, as all revolver cylinders usually need to be timed to the weapon it's going in. Minor file work is usually required at the "star" where the hand rotates the cylinder. I have a S&W M651 4" J-Frame revolver in 22WMR that I purchased the LR cylinder from Smith, and although close to being right, it needed to go to the smith for final fit and timing. It's a sweet little combination revolver to have both cylinders for.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA