I just found it. Winchester model 62A

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

I just found it. Winchester model 62A

Post by futuretrades »

The first gun i ever shot was a Winchester model 62A. this gun was my dads and me and my brother used to kill a lot of squirrels and jacks with it. dad has a lot of stories about when he was a kid, ridin his old indian with no hands and shooting jacks. thats gotta be 70 or so yrs. ago cause he is 87 now. when my brother left home, back in the early seventies, dad gave him that old model 62A. really pissed me off. i hadn't thought about that rifle for a very long time. until a guy, here in town that i know, called me 1 day and asked if i was interested in buying a rifle. i said i was always interested in a gun purchase, so i went to his house to take a look at what he was getting rid of. to my great surprise he pulled out a Winchester model 62A. when i saw that rifle, i almost flipped, but put on my poker face and told him i really wasn't interested, but asked how much he wanted for it. he said he needed some money, so he would sell for 300.00. this guy is a drunk and probably needed a drink, so i told him i needed to think about it. i went home and did a little research on the net and found some model 62a's starting at about 400.00 on up to 700.00 and above depending on condition. next day i meet with this guy, with my little bore light and a magnifying glass and checked the barrel. i told him it needed cleaning before i bought it. he said he had just cleaned it. the barrel looked very clean, but i saw a couple of spots in the barrel, so i told him the barrel was pitted. so i offered him 200.00. he didn't want to sell it for that, so i said see ya. he stopped me before i hit the door and said ok. he showed me an invoice for 400.00 that he paid for the gun just a year earlier. so i told him 200.00 was my offer, take it or leave it. guess he needed a drink pretty bad. i paid him the money and left. on my way out of his driveway i started to shake and down the the road i started hootin and hollerin.
the rifle is probably 90%, maybe more. i showed it to a dealer, and he offered me 700.00 for it. he said i ripped the guy off, but i told him that's what happens to a guy that drinks too much. by the way, what i saw in the barrel, was just some dirt that he had missed. this gun is a shooter, even if i can't see with those open sights as well as i used to.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: I just found it. Winchester model 62A

Post by huntsman22 »

ft, Great deal! Like you, my first repeater that I got to shoot was a 62-a. My dad bought it when he was in the navy at the px in Guantanamo bay, 1951. Gave it to me on my 12th birthday. It has had a bunch of lead thru it since...........
Still have it and use it quite a bit. Enjoy, don't sell......Don
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: I just found it. Winchester model 62A

Post by futuretrades »

hey huntsman
i have absolutely no intention of selling this gun. great picture. my brother in law has the 62a in a gallery model, octagon barrel and only shoots .22 shorts.
we checked the manufacture date, by serial number on mine. it was manufactured in 1937. don't know about the gun my brother got. he lives in alaska, but it had to be mf'd even earlier.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.