17Hummer

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Singleshot

17Hummer

Post by Singleshot »

Anyone on this forum have a CZ 452 in 17HMR? If so, did it shoot well out of the box or did you have to tinker with it a bit. I just bought one but if I could not read the calibre stamped on the receiver I would think that it was a shotgun. I am getting 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards which seems to be pretty bad compared to what some of the guys on the small calibre forum are getting. :cry:
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Re: 17Hummer

Post by foxwhistler »

I`ve got a cz 452 varmint with a 16 inch barrel.To be honest i never shot it standard,because i fitted an Eric Brooks trigger kit before i fired a shot.I broke the barrel in with five shots cleaning after each shot,and then 15 shots cleaning after every three.After that it was shooting about an inch and has been improving over the next 300 shots till it shoots about .7 now.I know about 3 different people with cz .17Hmr and all are impressed with the accuracy.
Hope this helps.
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
22shooter

Post by 22shooter »

I don't have a CZ in 17HMR but I do have a CZ 22 lr which is very accurate. I have two Marlin .17HMRs that are very accurate. Easilly .75 inch groups a 100 yards. There must be something wrong with your new CZ. Best of luck in getting it to shot or send it back to the manufacture.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Is the barrel just touching the stock on the left side?? Might need a little sanding along there. CZ has put out quite a few 452's with the barrel touching on the left. Which ammo have you tried?? Since it's a rimfire you may have to try the other bullet styles/weights in it. HTH
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Definitely try other types of ammo. My Marlin is exceptional with the original 17 VM loads, but shoots poorly with the HP or 20gr. loads. It's fussy, but shoots .6" average at 100 yards with the stuff it likes.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Singleshot: My CZ 452 in 17HMR was not shot direct from the box, as it had the common stock touching the barrel problem noted by Glen above, so it got floated and glass bedded immediately, prior to a shot ever being fired.

It shot Hornady 17gr V-Max the best of all ammo tried, averaging about .8" at 100 yds. Not long after that, I installed the most excellent Eric Brooks trigger, and that alone, using the same ammo dropped the group size to .5 to .6. It's pure death on our ground squirrels out to an honest 250 yards, and slightly beyond with that combination, and the additon of a Leupold Vari-X II 4-12 AO scope with target elevation adjustment to enable "dial-a-rat".

I'd try some home remedies first, but prior to doing so, check out the crown and barrel interior as best you can. If all looks well, try what the other posters and I have mentioned, if not, you may want to consider giving CZ-USA a call for a factory return or replacement.

For fun, here's my CZ 452 giving Skippy the worries in a prime alfalfa patch earlier this year. It racked up a pretty impressive kill ratio on that trip. Good luck with yours.

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Thanks fellas. I have less than 50 rounds through the rifle and I have only tried the 20 grain CCI game points. I would not have expected a rimfire to be that choosey about ammunition but the concensus on other forums is that the 17 grain bullets are more accurate. I am going to have to get some. Like a #$@#$ dummy, I bought a whole brick of the CCI's when I purchased the gun. I can't run a dollar bill between the barrel and the forend so I may have to scrape a bit of wood out of the barrel channel. The barrel on this gun is not varmint weight so I was not expecting super accuracy. But it does sound like there is some hope for it yet. :hail:
Singleshot

Post by Singleshot »

Great advice from hummer aficianados. I glass bedded the receiver and under the chamber of my CZ 17HMR and free floated the rest of the barrel. The 20 grain bullet group shrunk by 2/3. I tried some Hornady 17 grain bullets as well and that load looks very promising. It was a little breezy today but I was getting under an inch. It is amazing how much better a day becomes when your rifles are shooting well.