Twin 17's

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Hawkeye Joe

Twin 17's

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Got another smokin deal on this pair of 17 mach 2's. One has a 3-9 Nikon Pro staff and the other has a 6-18x40 Simmons Pro Air with target turrets :shrug: . Just couldn't pass it up for the cost of one WITHOUT the scope :eek: . For a while now I've been wanting to custom piller and bed a rifle. Looks like I found a Guinea Pig :twisted: . One of them has the barrel off center so to the shop it goes. Looks like a digital camo paint job is needed as well. This should be a fun,"WORRY FREE", learning experience.

Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

huntsman22
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 77VT and ruger mkII Ultralite

Re: Twin 17's

Post by huntsman22 »

Good deal. If you bed them, do you think you can get rid of the donuts? I don't think the digi-paint will stick to 'em, and they may be hard to slide over the paint :D . Don
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike, sweet deal for sure. When you bed them, give Brownell's Accuraglass Gel a try. I've used it for years with excellent results, and you can dye the mud to match the stock wood with the dye supplied in the kit.

Huntsman is right, besides a potential problem with the paint, they sure do blow the lines of any rifle to the eye. I hear they work okay, but a good bedding job should negate their need, and you won't have a "goiter" on your barrels. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'll get rid of the doughnuts on my next coffee break :lol: . Accuraglass gel huh... I'll give it a try. Thanks :!: You answered my next question :wink:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Hawkeye - I am with RIO on this...the gel works the best. 65-70 degrees seems to be the sweet spot as well.

Of note, you do not need to buy a pillar bedding kit. Go to the auto parts store and by replacement valve guides. Motorcycles have them as well. At most, you will have to trim and shape to fit. But they will only be a buck or so each.
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I have some nice hunks of billet Aluminum for the pillers. I found them in the bed of a friends pickup :lol: He gave them to me.... The 17 got it's first kill tonight :kitty: :camper: :reddot:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

My buddy bought the stainless model when they first came out. I shot it at 100 yards and got a group under a half-inch :eek: :eek: so I ran out and bought one like those of yours. Sad to say, mine wouldn't shoot a half-inch group at 25 yards, no matter what kind of tinkering I did to it :mad: I was distressed................. so I sold it to a guy who wouldn't know any different :twisted: He loves it, although he says it's a little too light for coons and possums :eew: , it's "just right" for squirrels. He's happy, I'm happy, and the possums hate it.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

glenn asher wrote: He loves it, although he says it's a little too light for coons and possums :eew: , it's "just right" for squirrels. He's happy, I'm happy, and the possums hate it.
Not if it's a head shot :lol: Worked very well for me. A 50 yard shot in the top of his noggin and out the bottom. :twisted: .... Both shoot very well. The one with the offset barrel shoots better.Go figure :? One shoots just under a inch and the other is just over at 100 with Hornady ammo. I sold the light colored one with the Nikon to a guy at work for $100. :shock: I'm not sure who's taking a bigger financial hit ,the guy getting divorced or me. :chin: Definitely HIM :eek: :!: Anything I didn't take was going to Gander Mtn. I couldn't let that happen. Glenn ,do you have any extra peanut butter :lmao: :lmao: :biglaff:
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I hope you kept the Nikon......... I am hearing some good stuff about 'em, even the Pro-Staff models.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Nope.. I kept the Simmons. It is just as clear as the Pro Staff. And, it's a 6-18 that will focus down to 10 yards!! . I tried to find some info on it and came up with nothing. It's a "ProAir" model :shrug: . Maybe a airgun scope??
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)