What trigger pull do you guys prefer for your 17HMR?

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Schrutester
.204 Ruger Guns: none

What trigger pull do you guys prefer for your 17HMR?

Post by Schrutester »

I recently purchased a Marlin 917VS and while the factory trigger isn't too bad, I definitely want to either swap the trigger out or have a talented gunsmith work on the existing trigger. This rifle will pretty much be used exclusively off the bench either shooting paper or squirrels and pdogs.

I know most put the Rifle Basix trigger in the Marlin, but I noticed that the range for the Rifle Basix is 1Ib to 2Ib.

Is 1lb light enough, or do you guys like to go lighter?

Thanks
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: What trigger pull do you guys prefer for your 17HMR?

Post by Captqc »

On my Ruger 77/17 I have it set at 1 1/2 lbs, not bench rest level but it works fine for me. Gary
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

1lb is PLENTY light for shooting, especially in hunting situations...... -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If you're shooting from a bench a lb is OK, walking around, that may be a tad light but it's all up to you, just make sure it functions (including the safety).

HTH
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

The above is about right.

The only thing I would add is that attorneys for gun makers regard five or more pounds as a little on the light side.

3 pounds is about right based on crisp break and two stage trigger. Good for walking around, but most expert riflemen will always seek some kind of support, either tree or prone for long shots.

1 pound if properly applied to custom trigger is good for shooting from bench rest or support. Funny thing is once you are used to this going back to 5+ triggers is almost unusable. You squeeze for a long period and nothing happens. With a good 1 pound trigger (jewel or equiv.) you always get a fast surprise break, like a 1/32" glass rod.

I have been privileged to work with some really decent rifle-smiths, and have heard comments that some factory triggers are difficult to adjust requiring honing and fitting, etc. which not everyone is equipped to do. So be careful and thoroughly test your trigger on receipt. Expect to spend $30 to $60 in today's world for just labor.

:)
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I couldn't be happier with my 2 1/2lb RifleBasix in my Marlin 17HMR. I don't like shooting paper so I set em up for the field. JMPO
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

My CZ 452 Varmint 17HMR wears a Brooks trigger set up for bipod/bench shooting at 10ozs. My switch barrel Ruger 77/22 Mag/17HMR wears a Moyers unit set right at 1 lb. Both rifles get shot from my field bench alot, plus walkabout with a bipod. I may add the next stiffer spring in the CZ, as you really don't need BR pull weight for a rimfire. That will bring it up to 1 lb. also, which seems about right for a walkabout rifle.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

remy3424
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700, Tika T3, Ruger 77R MKII., Savage Pred., Rem XR100 +

Post by remy3424 »

+1
Glen wrote:I couldn't be happier with my 2 1/2lb RifleBasix in my Marlin 17HMR.
Mine had a terrible stout trigger pull...T900 or something they called it, I think the number stands for the pounds of pull it took to fire it.
Take a kid to the range, both of you will be glad you did. remy3424
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

I just bought a used Marlin recently, it had a Rifle Basix trigger installed on it by the previous owner than made me snap it up quickly.

Its set at about 1-1/2 lbs which I dont think I will change. Most of the time it will be my walk-about gun and used with a bipod but occasionally shot from an ATV of truck window so I dont want it to light. My .204 has a Rifle Basix trigger set at about 8-10 oz but it is strictly a bench and table top gun.

Never got to try the T-900 trigger but I would have prefered the accutriger (if buying new and deciding between Marlin and Savage), but I am a big fan of the Rifle Basix on my .204 thus my choice.

Pretty happy so far, gave it a better scope and once dialed in gave all sub MOA groups, most around 3/4" so I am pretty pleased with that.