CZ 452 17 HMR

Ask questions or share information about Ruger rimfire guns such as the Ruger 10/22.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

CZ 452 17 HMR

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I bought a new CZ 452 American in 17 HMR. I always clean new guns up before shooting them. The cleaning patches were all rust filled. I used Butch's Bore Shine, Kroil and Blue Wonder and the patches are still coming out rust colored. I am sending in a letter with patches and registration paperwork now. Has anyone else had this problem with CZ? I have another CZ rifle in 223 and did not have any rust. What a disappointment. I hope they have good customer support.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: CZ 452 17 HMR

Post by RAMOS »

I have no first hand experience with this. However, I have read about it a few times. Seems that it turns out to be be the packing grease they use and it does indeed LOOK like rust. Also, it takes a lot of effort to get it all out of the rifle. Hopefully that is what you have going on.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

About the only thing I will add is, I have my issues with my CZ 452 American, chambered in 17 HMR!:headache:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Why would ANY rifle company make a rust colored product, especially if it goes in a barrel? Blue Wonder is my go to product when other products are not working.
Futuretrades, what are your issues with the 452? Should I ask for a different rifle to replace it???
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Sidewinderwa wrote:Futuretrades, what are your issues with the 452? Should I ask for a different rifle to replace it???
My biggest issue is feeding issues from the mag into the chamber. When shooting, I always have to keep in mind to push the bolt forward using my thumb, or I get a jam. Do a search on this site, and you will find other CZ owners with the same issues. I have been shooting bolt rifles for most of my 59 yrs and have never, ever had this problem with the way I operate the bolt. Also, I really hate the clip in this rifle. :mad: I sold my model 77 Ruger all weather in 17HMR to finance my 204. I never had any issues with that rifle, no matter how excited I got, or how I manipulated the bolt. As far as I am concerned, that is the way every rifle should operate. And I was more than happy with the clip set up.
If you decide on another rifle, that is your choice. These are only my pet peeves with this rifle. I guess its like a Chevy or Ford thing, always pro and con, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If and when I can get what I would ask for the rifle, I just may sell it.
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
204_au
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS stainless

Post by 204_au »

futuretrades wrote:
Sidewinderwa wrote:Futuretrades, what are your issues with the 452? Should I ask for a different rifle to replace it???
My biggest issue is feeding issues from the mag into the chamber. When shooting, I always have to keep in mind to push the bolt forward using my thumb, or I get a jam. Do a search on this site, and you will find other CZ owners with the same issues.
Try adjusting the tabs in the top end of the magazine. I put thousands of rounds through my CZ 452 varmint 17HMR and never had feeding issues, until one day dropping the magazine on it's end which slightly bent the two tabs inward. After that, it would occasionally jam until I re-adjusted the tabs ever so slightly outward, and the rifle began feeding smoothly again.
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I know that there are higher capacity magazines for the 452 but could not find any for sale. Anyone know who has them for sale?
RUD
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper model 21 phoenix

Post by RUD »

I have two CZ's and the grease is a pain to remove. The people on RFC.COM suggested using W-40 or Goo Gone and they both seem to work on removing that crap in the barrel. I haven't had any other issues as of yet to complain about the CZ's. You may want to check CZ Custom Shop on the net for the magazines. The CZ forum on RFC.COM has a wealth of info. for the CZ owner, they have all the answers it seems. Good luck on your new purchase! Rudy
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

RUD, thanks for the link, I had forgotten all about that site. I will check it out for more info.
jrwoitalla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by jrwoitalla »

What about just putting some lead down the tube then cleaning it? Seems to me the heat and pressure of shooting it might blast that crap right out the end of the barrel and/or burn it up. After that it might clean up quite easily. Then again, I could be wrong. My 452 17hmr wouldn't group very well until it had a couple hundred rounds down the tube, that might be why.
I've had my issues with CZ as well. My 452 has a bad scope rail-it's not even close to square, the windage is adjusted all the way over to the right just to get it centered. My 527 in 204r has the same feeding problem mentioned above, it jams up unless I push it in with my thumb. Nevertheless, both guns are so accurate and otherwise well made, that I've all but forgotten about those little warts. That's why I'm in the market for another 527 in 221 fireball and a 75b in 9mm.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason- Benjamin Franklin
futuretrades

Post by futuretrades »

Good luck with your new CZ purchase. All I know is that I will never purchase a CZ again as long as I am buying new firearms! :mad: