Ok guys tell me whats causing this?

Talk about or share information about your Ruger centerfire rifles.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Ok guys tell me whats causing this?

Post by robert w. »

20171122_174546.jpg
20171122_174546.jpg (909.95 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
20171122_174546.jpg
20171122_174546.jpg (909.95 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
my ruger american came back from ruger today.they said they put a new bolt in and fixed accuracy and feeding problems.
I opened the box yes a new bolt.so i loaded 5 new hornady superformance rounds,new in the box n cycled the bolt.its cutting some cases over half the case thickness.no way they shot it.2 cases are cut deep enough they can bust.
Ruger has suscessfully took what i thought was junk n made it even worse.im sure monday when i call i get a song n dance line fed to me.
Sad part i cant sell this pos ,it blew up on somebody id be at fault n no way i bet they make this right.this rife has been bad from the beginning
Attachments
20171122_174608.jpg
20171122_174608.jpg (926.56 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Ok guys tell me whats causing this?

Post by Bill K »

Looks too me as if they really messed up on the chamber, with the reamer or some sort of tool. There has to be a gouge in that area of the chamber. I would send them photo's, like you are showing here, and see what they have to say about it. Then demand a new barrel being put on that rifle or a replacement, from them. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

Thats kinda what i had in mind monday morning.i understand a bad gun can be made in a group of 100 and slip by qc,i dont understand you send it back and it comes back worse.it should be trashed n replaced.i seen 1 rifle blow up in a guys face.he has 1 eye now and this condition is a candidate to do that to a shooter
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I think, or know what I would do with this rifle/chamber, especially if I could give them the info on the party who's gun blew up and he was injured. They would either give me another rifle in exchange or give me back my money on this one. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

Im leaning to money back as im not home when ups comes hereand its a 70 mile round trip to the ups center where i pick it up.every trip costs and if they did this the first time hate to think what time 2 be like
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Post by MZ5 »

Drop a cartridge directly and completely into the chamber, close the bolt, then open it and inspect the case. Is the mark there then, or only when the cartridges feed from the magazine? Don't assume it's the barrel until you do this and see what happens. I saw this on one of my rifles once, and it was a feed ramp causing that mark, not the chamber.
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

I did and it gouges the case.as you close the bolt you feel a snug spot it never had before.i suspect thats when it gouges.looking in chamber the breech area looks like its been roughed up too.
MZ5

Post by MZ5 »

Wait. If the cartridge drops completely into the chamber (rifle’s muzzle pointed straight down at the ground), the bolt simply comes up to the back of the case, the extractor snaps over the rim, and you lock the bolt. So you’re feeling a snug spot as you turn the bolt handle down to lock it? Or do the cartridges not drop completely into the chamber?
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

no they become snug about 1/8th" from seated the barrel end looks buggered up too.somehow its screwed up and wasnt that way before it went in to ruger
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I am going to guess that Ruger ran a reamer into that chamber to attempt to fix the issue, but the smith goofed with the reamer and augered or wobbled the reamer and put the mark, along with throwing the chamber out of proper specs.
I think I would not fool around, trying to figure the issue out, just tell Ruger you want a new barrel on your action or a new rifle (replacement) or money back, the go purchase another rifle, even if it is the same brand/make you have. Bill K
MZ5

Post by MZ5 »

robert w. wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm no they become snug about 1/8th" from seated...
Well, then it must certainly go back if that's the case and you're using new factory ammo. If handloads, this could still be a mis-match between sizing die and chamber, or a die setup issue, but I think I'd still contact Ruger to get it fixed.
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

i just cured it.close friend,gun store owner said he would make ruger make it right so i got a new scope and a new heritige rough rider revolver in trade.$300 ziess scope and a $125 rough rider cheep but a plinker.he is ready to send the rifle back n i got decent glass for my cz 527 and a cheep sidearm.traded my last 22 revolver for a savage 93f in 17 hmr n miss my revolver
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Sounds good Robert. As it was and with what you were finding or the lack of getting from Ruger, you will be happier in the long run, and will have ended this issue.. Heck that Ziess scope is almost worth it. Bill K
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

yes,im happy n he can sort this out with ruger. i had to give $7.48 diffrence but heck i got a fine scope n a cheep plinker to boot.make my cz happier with a fine optic.the tasco on it is ok but not ziess ok