Getting ready for my first 204 in CZ Varmint...buying the other "stuff"

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
done111
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Getting ready for my first 204 in CZ Varmint...buying the other "stuff"

Post by done111 »

Hello all,

I am 99% convinced I am getting the CZ Varmint version of the Ruger 204. Besides the gun (which I will need to wait for a little bit still until birthday time) I have been starting my search for reloading and cleaning type supplies specific to this caliber. My other rifles I have Lee collet neck sizers, Redding body sizers and Forster Ultra seaters and usually body size every 3 to 4 shootings (as well as anneal). I will need cleaning rod, I normally use a jag, which I already have. Figured I would get some ammo to get an idea what bullet the new gun might like.

Any advice here of what I need to be getting and what brands, and why.

Thanks for the help,
Don
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Getting ready for my first 204 in CZ Varmint...buying the other "stuff"

Post by RowdyYates »

Get a good fiberglass or coated rod; I have a Tipton. Don't let cleaning go so long that that carbon ring builds up at the edge of the chamber; a good pre-soaking will let a patch slip through without forcing.
As for ammo: I never shoot the 32-grainers. If you want heavier factory stuff, since the CZ barrel twist won't stabilize the 40s, you'd have to go to HSM.com (Hunting Shack) and see if they have any loaded 39 Sierra Blitzkings - or possibly 35 gr Bergers. I reload, but I still occasionally drag out some old discontinued Federal 39 SBKs that shoot 5/8" or better in my CZ Varmint.
KetelOne
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator

Post by KetelOne »

Congratulations! The build quality on a CZ makes them a really good bang for the buck (if you'll pardon the pun). I have 2 of them, both rimfires so I can't really comment on the 527 (but have my eye on one in 7.62 X 39). I would second Rowdy's recommendation on the Tipton (or Dewey) nylon coated rod and while you're at it the Tipton Universal Bore guide is a good investment if you don't already have a bore giude (handles down to .17 cal). I typically don't use jags for my .204, instead opting for a "Pro-Shot" slotted patch holder (see Midway). I've also gone to all nylon brushes.

Right now, I'm just using an RCBS full length sizing die but opted for a Redding Competition seater die (which I love) for seating the bullets. I've heard good things about Forster products as well. The Redding seater die is great as it produces very little run-out. I din not find this to be the case with the RCBS competition seater die. I'm getting 1/4 to 1/2 MOA out of my Savage Predator with this combination.

Best of luck!

KetelOne
bloc
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage FCV

Post by bloc »

I myself always use a steel cleaning rod on the theory that the soft coatings or aluminum rods can catch grit and score the bore. Don't know if there's a solid basis for my concern, but that's what I've been doing for many years.

I, too, recommend the 39 grain SBKs and 35 grain Bergers. I've not been able to get 32 grain bullets to shoot nearly as accurately in my rifle as those 2.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

congrats,i have a cz 527 american in 24r.they are well built.
i like tipton rods or dewey rods.
40 grain wont do great in a 1 in 12 twist but 39 grains do shineand 35 grains are good too.
clean that barrel often and shoot her to your hearts desire. the 204 r is a truely amazing round and in a cz is even better
Shamu25
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint in .204

Post by Shamu25 »

You will love a CZ 527 Varmint. Have had mine about 5 years. A real tack driver. Here is a summery of my stuff;
Bore Tech cleaning rod, coated spring steel 44" and use jag.
Lucas custom bore guide made for 204 Ruger
2 die Lee set and neck size only. Have never had to full length size.
Best load: 39 BK, 25.6 gr Benchmark, 2.31 OAL, Norma brass.
.25 to .5 MOA when i am on my game.
Happy shooting
Ray
204Luver
.204 Ruger Guns: 527 Varmint; Rem. 700 VLS

Post by 204Luver »

These are my favorite rifle. We have two. One shoots a lot of sub-.5Moa 5-shot groups with 32-gr. SBK's, the other does the same with 39-gr. SBK's. Both do fine with the other bullet, but are true tack-drivers only with the bullet they prefer. You just have to experiment and find what your rifle really likes. 100 yds with 39-gr. SBK's: