Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
eloy
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson compass

Re: Tell us about yourself...

Post by eloy »

Hi,
I purchased a TC Compass in Feb. The compass is a one in ten twist. And have experimented with two powders a surplus powder wc846 at 26gr and Varget at 28gr. The bullet was 32 gr nosler varnagetum. I achieved great results with both powder. At 200 yards shooting from a bag at the bench rest range I have consistently managed to put 5 shot groups under 11/2 inches with half of those shots hitting the one inch bullseye. My friends seem to think my shooting is amazing but a lot has to do with the rifle and caliber the 204 Ruger is simple a very user friendly caliber. On my next post i'll put some target pics. Gun under $300 scope Nikon prostaff under $200, happy as heck with results going coyote hunting next.
TR1Hemi
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FCV

Military Retiree in Nebraska

Post by TR1Hemi »

Found this place while looking for ways to get my Savage 12FCV in .204 sold. Seems like a solid place! Hopefully it is open to other 20 cartridges. I have nothing against the .204 Ruger as is. But I would have much rather seen a .223 based 20 round, and maybe a 1x11 twist. I also have a couple other items I am parting with to get mt 6.5 Creedmoor up and running.

Cheers Tony
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Tony: Even though this site is primarily for 204R's, we all have other 20 & 17 calibers. But again if you are really after other 20 cal info, etc. stick here but also check out Saubier.com and Accurate Shooter.com loads of other's there, for sure. But welcome aboard here also. Bill K
Bigmeaty
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS

Post by Bigmeaty »

Hi All,

My name is Ben and I've lived in Arizona my whole life. I've been a lifelong shooting enthusiast but only recently have gotten into hunting starting with deer, elk, and javelina and now moving into varminting. I've been asked by some local ranchers to cull some coyotes that have killed some calves so it was time build something that was up the task. Currently I've got rifles in 277 wolverine, 6.5 Grendel, 308, and 300 win mag but nothing for varmints (to be honest I probably would have been fine with the grendel but I've been wanting a 204 for a while so nows the time). So without further ado here's my 204. It started as a Remington 700 sps in 204. Now it lives in the orxy chassis with a timney calvin elite 2 stage trigger set at 2#, a krg extended bolt handle, topped with a nightforce 20 moa base, vortex rings, a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 on top and a magpul bipod out front. I still need mags and have been having the hardest time finding any AICS compatible 223 magazines in stock so if you know where I can find them that would be awesome.

Attachments
1BDD8711-D869-4EAB-AFC1-83C0D56C0825.jpeg
1BDD8711-D869-4EAB-AFC1-83C0D56C0825.jpeg (335.66 KiB) Viewed 52295 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Welcome Bigmeaty first off. Looks like you have that rifle set up and it will work just fine for you on coyotes, in the the 204 Ruger.. As for those magazines, can not offer anything on where to locate or buy. Keep us posted as you your progress on the coyotes, and always remember we like photo's. Bill K
Bigmeaty

Post by Bigmeaty »

Thanks Bill! I hope to get it sighted in this weekend but it's snowing right now but if it gets sunny I'll be out there. Hope to use it for prarie dogs too come the summer. And all the giant jack rabbits we have around here.
Bigmeaty

Post by Bigmeaty »

My dealer ordered me some hornady 32 grain vmax loads, the 24 grain ntx, some S&B 32 grain vmax, some other vmax load and then the Winchester varmint x so maybe I'll find one that shoots but the end goal is to reload.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Any one of those will and should work very well. As you said however, and you will, find one or two that are accurate in your rifle.
Most of the 32 grain and even the NTX work very well in my 20 calibers. 20SCC, 20-223au & 204R. I am working more with the lead free Noslers, NTX's and some of Reed's lead free bullets for the pending all non-lead needed in my Commie state of Commiefornia. What part of the country are you in ? Bill K
Bigmeaty

Post by Bigmeaty »

I'm in Arizona...Tucson specifically. Weather has been all over the place lately so one day it's like 70ish and sunny and now today it's snowing and muddy.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Welcome aboard Bigmeaty. My daughter lives in Tucson. She just moved there last November.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bigmeaty

Post by Bigmeaty »

Awesome!!! It's a pretty great place, I hope she's enjoying it so far.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bigmeaty wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:40 amI hope to use it for prairie dogs too come the summer. And all the giant jack rabbits we have around here.
Bigmeaty: I can attest to the effectiveness of the 204R on the big bunnies. Here's the result of a jackwabbit having an encounter with my 20VT at 226 yards and a Nosler 32gr Varmageddon Tipped last season:

So imagine a 204R with the moderate increase in horsepower........ :eek:

Welcome to the forum....it appears you'll fit right in here. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Like Rick, the 204R does great on big bunnies. :D Bill K
102_5531.JPG
102_5531.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 52273 times
102_5532.JPG
102_5532.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 52273 times
Bigmeaty

Post by Bigmeaty »

Great shots you guys! I can't wait to add my own pictures to the fold. I'm hoping to get it dialed into tomorrow. We're supposed to be javelina hunting this weekend but the temperamental weather has been keeping all my hunting buddies inside so maybe at least we'll get to shooting.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

Hi to all - have been on this site since August last year when I was doing some research into getting a 204 . I am 56 and live in rural South Australia where I part time farm with sheep and cattle. Have been a shooter/hunter ever since childhood and grew up in rural areas with relatives on farms so always had the opportunity to get out hunting and control pests (rabbits and foxes) and get meat for the table . Nowadays spend a bit of time shooting foxes , rabbits, deer (fallow), hares and culling Kangaroos that are in excess numbers around a few farms in my area(under permit). Also a competitive clay target shooter shooting DTL and skeet. Got a new SAKO 204 VLS last year and have put a zeiss scope on it and am amazed at the accuracy and performance of this compared to previous goto gun which was a rem 223.Currently using 39 gn SBK/2206H/7.5 handload based on info from here. Find this forum useful and interesting - will be travelling through from Texas to Arizona later this year so interested to see those little critters you all get excited about !

Cheers

Hoppy