turned quiet

Discussion about topics not related to hunting or the 204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: turned quiet

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 1:11 pm Don't know why I keep spelling it Valentino, when I know it is Venturino. I guess a combo of old age, goofy fingers and bad spelling/memory. :eew:
No worries there, Bill. We all knew who you were referring to. I'm old too.....I get it. :wink:

The fellow you refer to goes by the nickname "shrapnel". He and I did a good trade recently (good guy), and it's my hope that he possibly might try to fill in somewhat for "Duke", but it's not likely, as he's a shooter, not a writer. But stranger things have happened................. :chin:

One thing is certain; Mike will be missed very, very much.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Just to add a photo and some comment, this is the latest 1911. RIA A-1 CS. I added a Holosun HE407K-GR reflex sight to this one. And changed the smooth rosewood grips out for a set of checkered wood/double diamond one's. I like the feel of the checkered grips better than the smooth wood.
Kind of dresses it up more, I think. :)
101_0923.JPG
101_0923.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2257 times
This model of the Holosun reflex is nice in that it goes off when idle for a period of time, but automatically comes on with movement. Very long lasting battery, so it serves well.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill, I'm also a recent pistol optic fan, have two now, one is like your Holosun with the 'shake-awake' feature, solar power + battery. I poo-poo'd them for a spell until I actually had the op to use one in the field. I was an immediate convert. Don't favor them for EDC, but they're great for what I use mine for in the field, usually against charging rockchucks or ground squirrels that get inside the wire. ;)

Top is my Kimber Aegis Elite Custom 1911 in 9mm with the Vortex 6MOA dot, bottom is my old Ruger MK-I 5" HB with the Holosun (I modified Ruger MK-II mags to work in the old MK-I to give 10 rounds in the mag vs 9 in the original by reversing the mag thumb spud in all the new magazines):

The Kimber is one of my range pistols, and when going after steel, it clears the plate rack faster than any other pistol I've ever owned with that Holosun aboard. If the dot is on the target, it 'dies', simple really. :wink:

The Day of the Red Dot has arrived!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

The various Electronic sights are nice in many places. I am like you however on the EDC's. A good set of iron, put that old front blade on the spot and double tap, down they go if necessary. :D
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

So, now you guys are red dot converts eh?? Took y'all long enough.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

I have used a red dot sight on some of my firearms, for over 6 yrs Skipper. This is the first one I bought that carried the Reflex option, but still has the red or green dot. Not that new too me overall. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

skipper wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:10 pmSo, now you guys are red dot converts eh?? Took y'all long enough.
Not so there, Skipper. In fact, my first red dot sight was the old Leupold/Gilmore unit I had on that Ruger MK-I for many years, starting around 1988 if memory serves. I killed a truckload of ground squirrels with that rig, just wanted to upgrade to a more modern unit such as the Holosun that's aboard it now.

This is from the early 90's during a very good rat shoot here on a local ranch:

That old red-dot served me very well for many years on that old Ruger, but just got an upgrade with the Holosun. That Kimber has worn the Vortex Venom now since the Aegis Elite series was introduced about six years ago. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. :wink:

Love the concept, just not ready to put one on any of my EDC's. I've done just fine with irons now for oh, right on 55 years.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick...dunno if you recall but on the last trip we went on together I brought along my S&W Model 41 and I've used it on all of my rat trips. I can hit them pretty consistent out to 100 yards using target load ammunition. The problem at that distance it may take a couple of shots to put their lights out so I try to keep the shots inside 100 yards.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I remember, Jim. I think we had a M41 discussion on that trip. Mine had become a safe queen, as I've got many other 22LR pistols for the field, as I was always hinky about taking it into the outback so it got re-homed to hemiallen here a couple of years ago. It was almost too nice to take out there, and I seldom target shoot. These are indeed very fine pistols.

The other safe queen that does get taken out on occasion is my 4" Series 3 Colt Woodsman Match Target that seems to be the full accuracy equal to the Smith. Both are old, beautiful examples of pistol art that is sadly lacking in today's market. The current going price for either now is bordering on the ridiculous.

One thing for sure, neither my M41 or the Colt never sees holster any use when in the field. It's out of the case, shoot, back in the case. My old Ruger MK-I is another story, robust and reliable with a finish I'm not worried about. And it's accurate! As a truckload of ground squirrels would attest.....if they could. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Those older models of S&W and Colt and a few other firearms just had better quality in them.

As for adding to the site to pump up activity. Prepping a couple hundred new Nosler 45acp cases, during the heat of the day. Don't they look pretty all ready for powder.
Note the six loaded in rear, 185gr Hi-Tech coated s.w. Missouri Bullets I am going to try out. Have some the r.n. coming also, but 200 gr. :)
101_0924.JPG
101_0924.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2135 times
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick...I agree with Bill and you, there is something about the older firearms in terms of quality and craftsmanship. My model 41 is an older model that came with both the 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrels and in the same type of box you have and they haven't used that style of box in decades. It functions flawlessly with decent ammo and in fact I don't think I've ever had an issue with it. The 5 1/2" barrel has an aimpoint on it that was already there when I got it.

I first shot this pistol over 30+ years ago on loan from someone who became a good friend and has since passed at a local pistol match when I was starting out and incidentally, it was the first 22 target pistol I had ever shot and I had to have one like it. As time went on, I was finally able to get it from him about 20 years ago. I don't shoot target matches much anymore but I still enjoy shooting it. With Eley 10x it shoots a .629 (V) x .382 (H) 20-shot group @ 50 yards, hand held from a bench.

I've been curious if the later runs of these pistols were as good as the vintage that we owned. I recall at matches some were very temperamental. I don't know if it was the ammo or what but I never had that issue with mine and, I always use factory magazines.

The first 22-target pistol I actually owned was purchased from the same person was a High Standard VICTOR model. I like it too but it had open sights which was what I needed at the time. It too was a good shooting rig and it had the advantage of having the same grip angle as the 1911 (I'm not sure the S&W 41 does that). One drawback to those was the magazines. The ones that worked the best were the older original High Standard magazines that had the green follower and even they had to be tweaked by someone who knew what they were doing.

I've never tried a Colt Woodsman but I do have three Colt 1911, 2x series 70 and 1 that predates the series 70. Recently, I picked up a 6" blued 1974 produced Colt Python. I haven't shot it yet but it sure looks nice with no visible flaws I can see.

As far as pumping up the activity, I was loading some 223 ammo on my Dillon 650 and with that load, it was a headache. I believe I spilled more powder than I loaded. The load was 25gr of IMR-4064 [just shooting it up to clear some out] and with the case nearly full to the top some will spill when indexing to the next station. Normally I reload in different stages but this time I opted to use the progressive part of the deal. I've use it with 45 ACP ammo with an issue but nothing doing from me anymore with this combination.

Yep...something about those older firearms.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

"Yep...something about those older firearms."

Yes indeed. That's why any trip to the LGS or pawn shop is a true adventure, as you never know what treasure might turn up out of the blue. Some of my best old guns were found via the pawn shop route. Whenever possible, I like to fondle and inspect any used gun....not possible when buying online.

Sometimes when seeing one of these "treasures" in the display case, it's hard not to transmit too much enthusiasm to the shop guy in order to have some dickering room with the transaction. When it's a real treasure, that can be quite hard!

Bill K: Those bullets you refer to are the old H&G #130 185gr SWC (Hensley & Gibbs), the favored target bullet for decades in the .45ACP. Bill Wilson used them in matches for years in the old days. I still use them too, have a double mold for them.

The most popular cast bullet for the .45 has to be the old H&G #68, also a 200gr SWC which I also cast. It's pictured on Bill Wilson's book on the Combat .45 Automatic, which is a good read for fans of the 1911 and the .45ACP with beaucoup relevant information. After all these years, I still refer to it often.

Looks like that RIA of yours will have plenty of 'food' available soon. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Same with old guns, old books from the past years are fine reading and lots of still valuable information..

Kind of eyeing a new Wilson Combat 1911, not sure if I want to spring the price however. Never ends :D
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Rick...that 45 200gr bullet use to be quite popular amongst the Bullseye shooters. I have several 500 round boxes of them and when shot with Bullseye and later, Winchester WST produced some pretty groups out to 50 yards. The other popular bullet was the 185 SWC.

I too have held on to old reloading publications and one of my favorites the Lyman 45th edition. Lately, I've been curious if the loads would be ok since the properties of some of the powders has changed.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill K wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:28 pm Kind of eyeing a new Wilson Combat 1911, not sure if I want to spring the price however. Never ends :D
Bill, stop eyeballing that Wilson 1911 and dig out that credit card! Even us old guys need a new 'toy' now and then, as we can't take it with us, so why leave our $ to others? I had the exact same conundrum two years ago and had Wilson build me what I consider one of the ultimate 9mm carry pieces, although I'm much more fond of the .45ACP for EDC.

This one checks all the boxes, 10+1 or 15+1 capacity, night sights, all 1911 controls, 3.25" bbl/slide, no grip safety, thinner in the grip than the 1911 and weighs only 25 ozs. WC gives the builder choices in finish, I chose 'all business' matte black DLC coating with zero bling, as I consider it a serious carry gun and not a BBQ piece. It shoots as one would expect for a Wilson defensive pistol too, runs absolutely 100% with more accuracy than I can hold.

As I've got beaucoup 1911's, this was different for me. My other double stack is my Browning Hi-Power, but this Wilson SFX9 without grip panels is even thinner with equal capacity. Like any W/C pistol, it shoots lights-out too.
Jim White wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:00 pm Rick...that 45 200gr bullet use to be quite popular amongst the Bullseye shooters. I have several 500 round boxes of them and when shot with Bullseye and later, Winchester WST produced some pretty groups out to 50 yards. The other popular bullet was the 185 SWC.

I too have held on to old reloading publications and one of my favorites the Lyman 45th edition. Lately, I've been curious if the loads would be ok since the properties of some of the powders has changed.
Agree Jim. I still have a large stash of both the H&G #130 as well as the 200gr #68 which I much prefer for most of my cast bullet shooting in the .45.

I'm still using the Lyman #45 manual too, mainly for comparison now as almost all the listed loads are much more frisky than what any of the new manuals list now, most likely due to fear of litigation. I always wonder about newbies that buy an old manual at a gun show and load accordingly with newer powders. Could be a bad outcome. That's why I always advise new shooters/reloaders to use current data to avoid a bad experience.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA