video of my gopher shoot

Experiences and effectiveness in hunting with the .204 Ruger.
oldrocks

video of my gopher shoot

Post by oldrocks »

I just spent 5 days shooting gophers in Norht Dakota last week with my .204. Nice thing about gophers is that they are not as smart a prairie dogs so they dont all dissapear when the shooting starts. I went through over 300 rounds of the .204 ammo and around 2000 rounds of .22 while the .204 was cooling down. Also a great way to introduce he kids to shooting. My 7 year old scored around 100 kills himself and my 4 year old daughter took several shots but no kills. She really liked getting involved though. Start them early and camo comes in pink.

I tried to past a web address for the video. If the link does not work it can easily be found by searching google video by searching ".204 vs gopher"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=2

And my daughter with her Henry .22, she is only 4 so she isnt quite ready for the .204 but her 7 year old brother shoots it just fine.

WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Post by WrzWaldo »

Link worked just fine. Thanks for sharing the video!
aocasek

Post by aocasek »

Nice work on the shooting and the camera! That was awesome!!!!
jason

Post by jason »

nice shooting and great camera work. were you using factory ammo or handloads?
As long as the primers Ignite!!!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

oldrocks: Good job with the video buddy! Ya just gotta love the helicopter launches on squirrels with the 204. :lol:

Those rats appear to look almost exactly like our Skippy out here, color, size, posture all the same. Maybe they're increasing their territory? Maybe it's a rodent invasion! :eek:

Good for you to get the youngsters started too. If our sport is to survive, they are the answer. Looks like you had a great time, especially by the sound of the laughing in the video (hard not to, eh?). ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Way to go, nice video. Got to love the air time on the 204's. Thanks for sharing and getting kids into shooting!
oldrocks

Post by oldrocks »

Thanks for all thge nice comments. The video work is almost as addicting as the shooting.
Our gophers are about half the size of a prairie dog but look almost identical, just lack the black tip on the tail. If you can tell from the video the pastures were almost overrun with gophers. Often times there were dozens of targets to choose from and many spectacular shots were not recorded because the cameral and the rifle were looking at different gophers. Also unlike prairie dogs, we could pick off multiples and the rest would just stand there wondering what the noise was. Most of our shots were between 50 yards and 100 yards. No need for longer shots except for the satisfaction of hitting them.
This spot is family ground just outside of Bowbells North Dakota. All shooters are welcome as long as they stop at the house first. If you happen to be heading up that direction email me and I can give you local contact information.

We started out shooting the Hornaday 32 grain hollowpoints with the advertised 4200+ fps but swithched over to the A-Merc American Ammunition 39 grain BTRT. I think they run about $12 or $13 a box versus the $24 or higher for the Hornaday rounds. I could not tell any difference between the two loads based upon the terminal performance on the gophers.

I am just stockpiling brass right and will need to start handloading soon.
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Nice! That one shot looked like it flew 40ft to the left.
ivanimal

Post by ivanimal »

That looks like fun! Great background music. My 12 year old son and I like to shoot squirell with our 22 magnums. Some of my best days ever. Keep em hunting and you will spend time with them forever.

Thanks for sharing.
We will not be home in time for dinner.
oldrocks

video of my gopher shoot

Post by oldrocks »

If anybody wants to see the high quality version just send me a private message and I can email you that version. You will need a high speed connection because it is around 8 megabites but it is much higher quality than what shows up in the link.
Rafter CT

Post by Rafter CT »

That was GREAT!! Glad to see your youngsters are into it also. It's so much fun to watch kids shoot!
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
sick1

Post by sick1 »

Yeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaw! love that video, can't quit watching it. I must have seen it 100 times, and it still hasn't got old. thanks. :lol:
NRA Life Member